A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-620beta2

#1 Post by kirk »

Beta1 release notes:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84372

Changes since beta1:

* Fix autochownd, only start when we can chown
* Add UEFI / Windows8 harddrive (frugal) install FAQs doc.
* Patch Broadcom wl to name interface wlan instead of eth.
* Update flash player to 11.2.202.270.
* Package-manager: download progress and cancel-able download
* Update Seamonkey-2.16
* Update Linux-3.7.10
* Update Mesa-9.0.3
* Update xf86-video-intel-2.21.3
* Update Transmission-2.77
* Update autochown-2013.2
* Update Samba-3.6.12 (partial)
* Add 3 sets of new Radeon firmware

Since the kernel has been updated there is a new devx. If you use the proprietary Nvidia or ATI drivers, make sure you get the new ones, they'll have 3.7.10 in the name. I've only tested the legacy ATI ones, I don't have anything Nvidia. Let me know if it works for you.

Samba has been updated. It's compiled static with uclibc, which actually makes it smaller than shared with glib, but it still added 2MB to the iso (about 9MB uncompressed). We still only include what's necessary to run the server, the other Samba-3.6.12 apps are in a pet package.

Make sure you use a new save file/save folder, especially if you installed a kernel module.

Also, if you use a save folder make sure it's on a ext2/3/4 partition.

Just like with beta1, it is a UEFI dual hybrid iso. Which adds 10MB to the size of the iso. You can dd the iso to a flash drive and boot on BIOS computers or UEFI computers with or without secure boot. See the FAQs for all the details.

Get it here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/
Last edited by kirk on Mon 08 Apr 2013, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

Don't do a frugal install on secure boot with beta2, I forgot to sign the kernel :(

You can do a frugal install on secure boot if you use grub with refind, because grub is signed and the signed grub will load a unsigned kernel. But it would be a easier to wait for final.

Booting from CD/USB on secure boot systems is not affected by this.
Last edited by kirk on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 19:32, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Mirrors haven't updated and iBiblio is very slow. Maybe a torrent somewhere?

Ray MK

#4 Post by Ray MK »

Linux fatdog64-620beta2
k3.7.10 #1 SMP Wed Feb 27 18:13:49 EST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Using the E732 laptop with 2gig ram and an i3 proc.

Manual frugal install to an ntfs partition - booting with grub4dos from an SDcard.

Boots in seconds - top shows almost zero resource usage - insanely fast - all the basics seem to work OOTB.

Absolutely Luvly 64 bit hybrid-iso Puppy - many thanks - Ray
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
not a gz. rename to html.
(46.37 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

irishrm

#5 Post by irishrm »

wl driver loaded and internet connection established.

Posting from beta2 now.

irishrm.

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

I have always, in the past, run with a SWAP partition. i just ran a couple of tests with swap off (default system boot) and with swap on. I cannot detect any difference in system speed or operation. I used Hardinfo utility for data comparison.

For Kirk/Jamesbond
I'm sure that there is a technical reason for dropping swap detection at boot time and not using swap partition when available.

Request
Could someone share how swap has a negative impact?
Or, if there is no negative impact, might the default detection be turned back on for final release instead of users having discover or read that the boot did NOT pick it up?

Observation
I have been running LIve media with beta2 and am thoroughly enjoying this experience. This seemingly is the fastest FATDOG, yet. The updates built-in to the OOTB packaging are extremely beneficial.

thanks for all the wonderful considerations in FATDOG along with ALL of the participation in this product's delivery.

rian

#7 Post by rian »

I second gcmartin's request for a torrent. Had to give up when it stalled out 1/2 way through after an hour. :( If I manage to dl it from ibiblio later, do you (james/kirk) have any objections to my uploading it with hash to a torrent site and/or binaries news server?

Thanks for all your great work.... I really like my USB FATDOG64. :)

kirk

#8 Post by kirk »

A torrent probably isn't necessary. Try one of the mirrors. This one is popular:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/

There's also a (broken) list mirrors here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/MIRRORS.html

A lot of those mirrors are no longer around, but some still are. If you find a fast mirror in the list let us know.

EDIT: Besides nluug, this seems to be the only other one working:

ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/suns ... ns/fatdog/
Last edited by kirk on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#9 Post by ally »

hey kirk/JB

currently writing from lenovo t61 1800mhz with 4 gigs, lan, sound and display all correct

VERY VERY fast, amazing boot time and snappy action - quickest yet

added firefox from ppm and just starting to have a play (firefox installed to 'other' start menu entry not internet

only item to report, mouse-over on taskbar 'folders' icon near start menu just shows '/' and no description

:)

kirk

#10 Post by kirk »

mouse-over on taskbar 'folders' icon near start menu just shows '/' and no description
That's the folder it's pointing to. Not very helpful when it's always at the same place.

ally

#11 Post by ally »

is looking a plonker on forums a bad thing..............???!!!!!

:)

rian

#12 Post by rian »

Thanks for the links, kirk. I was able to DL the tar from the "MIRROR" link, though it wasn't particularly fast, (45min), but doable compared to ibiblio! :)

Can someone please tell me if I can update my present FATDOG64 500 stick? I have FF installed and configured with extensive bookmarks from W7... (+NOIA and a other add-ons), but more importantly I have TBird installed with all my encryption keys and whatnot, customized desktop and toolbars, etc. It all took many hours to setup. The persistence file is the second one, but the first is I think the original default:

fd64-500.sfs
fd64save-fatdog500.2fs

Is there any way to incorporate this persistence file into FD 6.2b or 6.11 ?

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

Can someone please tell me if I can update my present FATDOG64 500 stick?
No, everything changed with Fatdog64-600. You could try making a copy of your configuration files in /root/spot and moving them to your new installation. You'll have to click view all in Rox to show the hidden files. They might all be under /root/spot/.mozilla

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

Hope this will work as I never tried but,
rian wrote: ... I have FF installed and configured with extensive bookmarks from ...
There is a "SYNC" feature in Mozilla browsers (Firefox and SeaMonkey) where your changes are stored in such a way that it can be accessed from the use of the same browser on another PC. This would reduce/negate the need to transfer files. Your other user changes, though, would need the suggestion that Kirk offers

Run with it, should it help you.

Here to help

Ted Dog

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Any hope that FatDog could be reduced to below 180M, Still would love to boot a Mac directly from its 200M EFI boot area. Now that you have a EFI loader working it would be so cool/useful to have my MacMini boot directly and fast into puppy. Would a SlackBones version be bootable with fatdog EFI loader?

rian

#16 Post by rian »

kirk wrote:
Can someone please tell me if I can update my present FATDOG64 500 stick?
No, everything changed with Fatdog64-600. You could try making a copy of your configuration files in /root/spot and moving them to your new installation. You'll have to click view all in Rox to show the hidden files. They might all be under /root/spot/.mozilla
Appreciate that and will see what I can haul over.

rian

#17 Post by rian »

gcmartin wrote:Hope this will work as I never tried but,
rian wrote: ... I have FF installed and configured with extensive bookmarks from ...
There is a "SYNC" feature in Mozilla browsers (Firefox and SeaMonkey) where your changes are stored in such a way that it can be accessed from the use of the same browser on another PC. This would reduce/negate the need to transfer files. Your other user changes, though, would need the suggestion that Kirk offers

Run with it, should it help you.

Here to help
Thanks... far as FF goes I can use FEBE (addon) to export everything (bookmarks, passwords, themes, addons, the whole works), to a BU file, then install FEBE in the new iteration of FF and import that BU to get everything back in short order. It's setting up the custom desktop/theme/tweaks and TBird with all my accounts and the encryption again that's the time-sucker. :) But hey... it's a free OS and it's totally cool, so not really complaining exactly. :D (In fact I am seeing if there is a mozbackup linux version now, as that would help a lot of TBird...)

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:Any hope that FatDog could be reduced to below 180M
Fatdog ISO is currently at 220M - and 10MB of this is EFI boot support. vmlinuz + initrd is at 209M. Bringing it down to 180M is cutting down 30M (or 40M if EFI boot is included); I'm not sure whether this is achievable especially when programs like seamonkey and stuff and growing every day :(
Still would love to boot a Mac directly from its 200M EFI boot area. Now that you have a EFI loader working it would be so cool/useful to have my MacMini boot directly and fast into puppy.
Both refind and grub2 has support for booting from HFS+ partitions (although probably not very fast). I need to check whether I included that support in Fatdog (can be easily added if I didn't put them in). In theory you only need to put refind and its drivers in the EFI boot partition and put the rest of Fatdog in HFS+ --- you may want to read the UEFI frugal install FAQ and see if it is applicable.
Would a SlackBones version be bootable with fatdog EFI loader?
The latest slackbone is also EFI capable as they use the same EFI bootloader and the same kernel as Fatdog (Slackbone 1.2 kernel is Fatdog 620beta1 kernel).

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

WillM

#19 Post by WillM »

Everything is working great with the nvidia-310.32-3.7.10.pet.
Thank you kirk and jamesbond, Fatdog64 is a real joy to use.

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

WillM wrote:Everything is working great with the nvidia-310.32-3.7.10.pet.
Thank you kirk and jamesbond, Fatdog64 is a real joy to use.
Thank you for your kind words.
Comment like this always makes my day :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]