A very useful tool - ttyrec: a tty recorder

Miscellaneous tools
tallboy

A very useful tool - ttyrec: a tty recorder

#1 Post by tallboy »

I am used to have the command 'script' in my big Debian, but I have missed it in puppy. One of the stupidest querys I have made so far in Google, is for 'script', it gave me 849 million hits! (a personal record so far!)

What 'script' does: it records every action performed from the terminal window to a file, and lets you play it back. The original 'script' command was used, for example to document your work on a paper at school or university, but also as a diagnostic tool, or an educational tool. It would be cool to upload a file with a 'video' of the terminal window, showing how to solve a puppy problem, keystroke by keystroke.

There is an improved 'script', which is named 'ttyrec', it can be downloaded from the homepage here. It also have some additional features, that the original 'script' command doesn't have. Absolutely recommended!

I downloaded ttyrec_1.0.8-5_i386.deb from Debian, the one available for squeeze. I run it in lenny-based dpup484, without problems of any kind so far. The 'bin' folder containing the recorder, player and timer, is only 40Kb.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

GustavoYz

#2 Post by GustavoYz »

Thanks for point it, nice app.
Here is a test...

Code: Select all

ttyplay gstv_rxrx.gz
:P
Attachments
gstv_rxrx.gz
Extension is fake.
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 237 times