Slacko 5.4 won't see raw hard drive

Booting, installing, newbie
glimgliree

Slacko 5.4 won't see raw hard drive

#1 Post by glimgliree »

I'm a poor boy from down home, and I don't have money to spend buying computer equipment. :cry:

My hard drive went belly up recently. Fortunately, a friend of a friend gave me an old 400 gig drive he wasn't using, but it's a raw drive with no partitions on it at all. I need to format the drive, but I can't seem to figure out how to get 5.4 to see the drive.

The guy who gave it to me says it was working fine when he wiped it and removed it from his machine. I've checked the connections and they look solid.

How can I get 5.4 to see a raw hard drive? :?

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey glimgliree

welcome to the forum

try pdisk from the system menu, if that doesn't work you will probably need drive makers software to get it working

good luck

:)

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Does "Menu->System->GParted" see the PHYSICAL HDD?
And when you use GParted to choose to look at its contents, only see unallocated space?
There would be no partitions on the physical HDD, i.e. only unallocated space, and since most programs only see partitions [and only if formatted], those particular programs would see nothing.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Linux only "sees" filesystems. If the hard disk has not been formatted with a filesystem (NTFS, FAT32, ext2, etc.,) that would explain why Puppy doesn't see it. Menu -> System -> Gparted partition manager will see it, and format it however you want. Then Puppy will be able to use it.