The xPad CPU could RUN Puppy LInux

News, happenings
gcmartin

The xPad CPU could RUN Puppy LInux

#1 Post by gcmartin »

We have a lot of work ahead, to be able to handle the chipset in a "modern" way. This means NFC, BT, Touchscreen, Swipe, Cell-antenna(s), and other things we have not focused on thus far. This is going to be an exciting growth period over the next several years for us.

What an evolution; both, technological and behavioral.

Here to help

jpeps

#2 Post by jpeps »

Currently, there's a rapidly evolving android platform standard, where apps work on multiple devices via Java to --> bytecode to -->Dalvik virtual machine. While theoretically, you can root an android device and install whatever you want, getting all the widgets to work correctly (which are designed for specific Java sdk versions) would be another matter.

It's rather nice being able to dispense with compiling and having apps that work on all your devices (hundreds of thousands of them). Learn android java, root the device, and you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... e=rcteaser

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

It would be nice to get Dalvik working in a regular Linux...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

JAVA is certainly a need that Puppy developers need clarity

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Yes. I have asked the Puppy powers to consider having JAVA as a part of every PUP distro which is designed for the 2006 PCs to today's PCs. It makes easy the ability for users to grab and use JAVA apps without trying the trial and error methods of getting it into PUPs.

The cost is merely a front-end cost and negates the need to eveaulate and revicsit the REPO in efforts to use services and subsystems. But, I, probably like the distro developers who design the user-friendly system we use, evaluate its inclusion for making life easier. Some distro developers, mainly those who include LibreOffice, include JAVA OOTB. There is one other Puppy distro developer who includes it OOTB without a user needing to add it prior to other apps and subsystem which employ JAVA to deliver desktop services (including LO).

But, this is simply one of the those things which makes current and possibly future Puppy derivertives and the needs to make the system useable

Let's hope JAVA is understood as not an item of bloat, but an item which intends to make easy Puppy users use of Puppy in a very broad CPU environment.

Here to help

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

Yes.
I said Dalvik, not a regular JAVA, which already works fine in regular linuxes including Puppy. But not installed by default.
I have asked the Puppy powers to consider having JAVA as a part of every PUP distro which is designed for the 2006 PCs to today's PCs.
Ridiculous. Most Puppy users don't need any JAVA apps.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

disciple wrote:Ridiculous. Most Puppy users don't need any JAVA apps.
???

technosaurus

#7 Post by technosaurus »

One thing to keep in mind with a tablet interface - right click, middle click and to some extent button press/release event handling ... assuming the keyboard could be replaced with xvkbd of svkbd, the CTRL, ALT, <modifier> + <key> type shortcuts would need better handling (think gtkdialog + xdokey)

Re: java
I wonder if jamvm could be hacked to work with dalvik classes - it already works with gnu classpath and is transitioning toward openjdk compatibility. (the binary is ~200kb and the class libraries can be cut down) - it will still be slower than compiled apps, but at least it could be lighter.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

qkall

#8 Post by qkall »

honestly i'll believe it when i see it... i'm refering to intel based phones... they've been trying to get into the market for years but have failed to produce a commercial product.

that being said i would friggen love it...

jpeps

#9 Post by jpeps »

disciple wrote:It would be nice to get Dalvik working in a regular Linux...
You can port C and C++ code into Dalvik using the Android NDK toolset, although apparently there's generally very little if any performance gain.
disciple wrote:Ridiculous. Most Puppy users don't need any JAVA apps
Surprisingly, the size of the apps (which I'm assuming are largely written in java) aren't much larger. On my Nexis 7:

Firefox 35.07 MB
Kingsoft Office Suite: 25.84 MB
Picasso 526 KB
File Manager 2.5 MB
Drop Box 4.6 MB
VNC 576 KB
FB Reader 5.37 MB

I just sent someone a static version of Mixxx a few days ago that was 83 MB, since nothing else worked for him. So maybe having 800,000 apps that work out of the box isn't such a terrible idea.

Perhaps it's the Tegra 3 quad core and a gig of RAM, but everything snaps, so there's no performance issues at all. 8 to 16 gigs of storage holds a LOT of apps. I would think a desktop should be able to compete with a cell phone for power.

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Thanks for the link
"The new Motorola phone uses a new version of
Intel's Medfield smartphone processor"

So if I trust you then that one is 100% compatible with
the code that Puppy uses.

But the problem is that all of these are smartphones.

One need to boot them with code that also take care if the radio cirquits.

So it is no regular menu.lst that boots it and why would Motorola
allow that one root the whole thing? I trust them put in some way
to prevent booting into root. Or the Operators do that for to protect their
special versions.

My ISP give us wifi routers and they are encrypted
so we can not log into them. Only they can do it.

That is how Mobile Operators also what to have the phones.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gcmartin

#11 Post by gcmartin »

Motorola's new Intel RAZR

I have not seen the instruction-set for the processor(s) from Intel. I'm not sure if a i386 Puppy will run on these new processors from Intel. Time will tell. But, the Linux community is certainly capable of providing Linux for these new processors as need arises.

Directions of Intel ( and AMD soon)

We should expect large-format tablets by end of year (or early 2014).

gcmartin

Intel shares what ahead for US and the world

#12 Post by gcmartin »

This is informational for community understanding.

Intel is ever-present in the world and soon will move into US market.

Miniaturization and functionality: Coming to a personal at-your-fingertips device the world over.

FYI

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

x86 is the standard 32bit PC CPU architecture. i386 is a version of that ;)

My netbook has an Atom CPU. It runs Puppy when I ask it to.

Drivers to interface hardware and software are your problem here.

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

starhawk wrote:x86 is the standard 32bit PC CPU architecture. i386 is a version of that. ... Drivers to interface hardware and software ... .
Yes!

There still exist a lag between chipset production and Linux drivers meeting the designs.

But, you should know, that Intel has as much invested in Unix, Linux, Windows, and IOS than any corporation in the world. Thus, when there is a lag, its not too too long before the various OS step forward with running implementations.

Netboots are just one of the platforms that started the "at-your-fingertips" march in the world. The world has evolve beyond to touch and will continue evolution with various contributions as the personal device continue integration in our daily use.

As a result, across the world, there is a process change occurring with things at-our-fingertips. And, it is beginning to connect to everything we think of.

Humankind will follow.

Here to help

jpeps

#15 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
Humankind will follow.

Here to help
Follow who, Intel? Right now they're just trying to get in the game.

jpeps

#17 Post by jpeps »

I can get a bluetooth keyboard and case for my Nexus 7 for $35.

sunburnt

#18 Post by sunburnt »

I worked with Java and I was not impressed over-all.
A great idea of unification that`s messy and a heavy dependency.

My main thought was... Great, another language.
I didn`t see how it improved anything much.

But the idea of using web browsers as an application platform has merit.
It presents a common interface ( API ) that could unify display methods.
But then again... The same thing could be done with the Linux desktop.

Linux could squash WinBlows and M$ knows it.
But they also know they have nothing to fear as Linux is so scattered.

jpeps

#19 Post by jpeps »

sunburnt wrote: My main thought was... Great, another language.
I didn`t see how it improved anything much.
..well it's certainly useful if you want to write apps for your android device.

gcmartin

LinuxFest showed some key vendor technologies

#20 Post by gcmartin »

I attended a LinuxFest

There were several vendors their with some technology that is un-announced as well as some presenters with announced technologies. I gain new knowledge of awareness and directions.

I saw a HP server running Intel's latest Atoms (for xPAD/xPhones) on couple of SBCs. Interesting.

And, I saw an Intel PAD with the 1.8GHz Atom for xPADs. As noted, its not that the processor is so fast as it distributes workload within the cores. Its the fact that more and more subsystems and features will be taking advantage of the increases at about the time your cell contract runs out.

There is real method to the growth and expansion I have be "tooting the horn" about over the past several months. There is no super train coming which will steam roll over us....the train has already arrived.

Also, for those of you aren't aware of the benefits of some of the OS (yes Operating Systems) that currently are aimed and operating on xPADs/xPhones, add WebOS to that mix of OSes. If this should take off, since it is now Public Domain, and since they just complete V1 with all of the changes that Palm and HP agreed to before the osterity programs set in, you will find a complete product ready for touch-screen and voice use....OOTB, today! Now, the community can start addresses free Open Source "Stores" of applications for your personal hand-held or touch-screen devices. Take it away community.

We, in Puppyland, will need to begin a new way of looking at the UI for the community. Ubuntu is already poised with Unity, and I'm betting Fedora is either going to go the direction of ONLY servers with some meager desktop approaches or they will be stepping forward with a "Stores" based desktop for touch devices soon, as well.

WebOS could send this touch industry into a very interesting direction for it can not only addresses personal usage, but also has a very suitable setting for embedded use as well.

Here to help