Yweather 0.1a - taskbar weather app

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
vovchik

#16 Post by vovchik »

Dear tenochslb,

The reason your compilation fails is that you are using an older version of BaCon. Newer versions support C-style comments and that is what there is in line 1. Grab build 28 from basic-converter.org and compile it and replace the older version with the new one.

With kind regards,
vovchik

@ Geoffrey:

I think Carolina should have had those symlinks to start with. They are standard in almost every distro. :( Thanks for point out that little problem.

tenochslb

#17 Post by tenochslb »

Dear tenochslb,

The reason your compilation fails is that you are using an older version of BaCon. Newer versions support C-style comments and that is what there is in line 1. Grab build 28 from basic-converter.org and compile it and replace the older version with the new one.
I just erased those lines and compiled :D I did polish my translation I will update. Is there a way to retrieve the information in spanish because that would be the only thing missing to have a complete translated software.

Thanks.

vovchik

#18 Post by vovchik »

Dear tenochslb,

I changed the prog entirely to Spanish and had help from a friend from Colombia who visited me a few days ago. Unfortunately, yesterday that disk crashed along with the source code and now I am trying to rescue that partition. It just crashed out of the blue. In any case, I have the translations of the description codes as provided to Yahoo developers in English and my Spanish translation on paper! So it is merely to write that little routine again. It is all done, but, I am now on a bad laptop without a recent GTK, so I cannot compile the BaCon program on it since it doesn't like markup in tooltips. I hope to have my normal computer up and running soon....

With kind regards,
vovchik

Eyes-Only

#19 Post by Eyes-Only »

Gee whiz vovchik! Sorry to have read about your recent troubles with your hard drive crashing! :( I know only too well about computer problems as this is why I have been absent many months from the forum - my motherboard burnt out so badly I needed another machine. I was very lucky in that a friend of mine heads the computer department of the local school system... they are changing to new computers and I was given an older one by him FREE! :shock: And this machine is three times the computer that my older one was! :)

I wished that we were neighbours vovchik as then I would have you come over to my house to go through my "spare parts" bin. I'm sure that you would easily find two or more hard drives to replace the one that you had lost. After all, you've been a good friend to me here who has helped and encouraged me greatly many, many times. :)

Good luck my friend! -sigh- I wished I could help.

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

keniv

#20 Post by keniv »

Hello All

Working here in lucid 528. Have tried to run it at start up by using the following script in an executable file called startyweather.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/yweather 27730644 c

I have also tried

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/roxterm -e /usr/local/bin/yweather 27730644 c

I have it in /start but this does no work at start up. However if I click on this file after boot up it works fine. Don't know enough about this to know what I am doing wrong. I now start it using a desktop icon.

Nice little application. Thanks for this.

Regards,

Ken.

vovchik

#21 Post by vovchik »

Dear Eyes-Only,

Many thanks for your kind words. I have been making some progress. I put my bad drive in a USB external case and after two days of trying, I have now been able to read most everything. Good thing the drive is an old 80 GB job (IBM, made in Thailand in 2002), so there isn't all that much to copy over to another USB terabyte drive I have. The same day that my disk crashed, I switched to my Lenovo Ideacentre (like a Mac Mini), and the Puppy Live CD got stuck in the slot. I heard that was a common problem with that model, and it is impossible to fix no (emergency hole). Since that Lenovo was only 6 months old, I took it to the shop in VIenna where I bought it and hope they will repair it under guarantee. Also that day - the 14th of January - my powered hub burnt out. Not the power supply, but the hub itself. What a day that was!

I am slowly trying to put things back together and appreciate your understanding. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens once in a while :(

With kind regards,
vovchik

seaside

#22 Post by seaside »

keniv wrote:Hello All

Working here in lucid 528. Have tried to run it at start up by using the following script in an executable file called startyweather.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/yweather 27730644 c

I have also tried

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/roxterm -e /usr/local/bin/yweather 27730644 c

I have it in /start but this does no work at start up. However if I click on this file after boot up it works fine. Don't know enough about this to know what I am doing wrong. I now start it using a desktop icon.

Nice little application. Thanks for this.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv,

Perhaps your IP is not up and ready at that point. Here's a script from mavrothal here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 331#676397

which I've modified slightly for your yweather.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

IFCONFIG="`ifconfig | grep '^[pwe]' | grep -v 'wmaster'`"
while [ "$IFCONFIG" != "" ]; do
   sleep 1
    ping -c 1 8.8.8.8
    if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
      break
   else
      ping -c 1 www.google.com
      if [ $? -eq 0 ];then
         break
      fi
   fi
done

exec /usr/local/bin/yweather 27730644 c  
Cheers,
s
(vovchik: sorry to hear of your trials. It will only make you stronger :D )

keniv

#23 Post by keniv »

Hello seaside

Thanks for your script. I have just tested it and it's working fine. I guess anybody could use it if they changed "27730644 c" to their own woeid code. Thanks again for this.

Regards,

Ken.

01micko

#24 Post by 01micko »

Hello vovchik,

I downloaded yweather source and upgraded bacon. Compiled fine.

I get the same error mavrothal reported so I wgetted the XML to investigate why and no sooner the problem rectified itself. :? . I just wanted to see if it's some minor error in your XML parsing routine or some error in the source XML.

Anyway, I'll see if I can reproduce and investigate some other time.

Nice app!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

vovchik

#25 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko,

Yep, it is a weird little problem for some sites, and they do fix themselves! I parse using the xml description given on the Yahoo developers' site: http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/. I think some remote sites occasionally submit their xml reports with errors in the xml, and that is the reason we get the "markup" error. It could be also that I am not parsing something properly. If you find out what occasionally goes wrong, please let me know. At the moment, my "development" computer is down (ugly disk crash), but I managed to recover the data and saved to another drive. I have changed the program already for the Spanish translation and only look at the description codes and not the text provided, which sometimes diverges from Yahoo's official description. It is safer just to use the description code and to use that to get the official text string, rather than using the supplied text string in the xml. That change will be implemented in my next revision. If you have a nice parsing routine, please post it!

With kind regards,
vovchik

keniv

#26 Post by keniv »

Hello All

I have noticed over the last few days that the pressure reading on the display has not changed from 982.05 mb. I live within 6 miles of an airport and can listen to the radio volmet. The pressure is varying and is currently 1004 mb. All the other information seems to vary. I wonder if anybody else has noticed the pressure does not appear to update.

Regards,

Ken.

Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

Vovchik, nice coding- thanks. Multiple locations- works a treat. 8)

vovchik

#28 Post by vovchik »

Dear tenochslb,

I sent you a PM with my revised Spanish source. Please have a look and, where needed, kindly fix it. :)

With thanks and kind regards,
vovchik

Geoffrey

#29 Post by Geoffrey »

vovchik wrote:@ Geoffrey:

I think Carolina should have had those symlinks to start with. They are standard in almost every distro. :( Thanks for point out that little problem.
I will see that this is rectified for the next release of Carolina.

Your yweather app is a good replacement for the xfce panel weather plugin,
which I find to be limited as it will not display my location,
only the closest major city which is 300kilometers from me.

Cheers,

Geoffrey
Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 21 Jan 2013, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

vovchik

#30 Post by vovchik »

Dear Geoffrey,

I am glad yweather can be used to some advantage. My compile line for that:

Code: Select all

bacon -o -s -o -Os -o -fdata-sections -o -ffunction-sections -o -Wl,--gc-sections yweather.bac
results in a pretty small binary. That strips out all uneeded symbols and functions. After that, I UPX the binary to cut the size in half.

You might want to do that in order to keep things small. I used the latest bacon build (0.28), since it knows the C-style extended comments directive.

With kind regards,
vovchik

Yogi

#31 Post by Yogi »

Vovchik,

Works in Quirky 1.1. Thanks a bunch!

simargl

#32 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Monsie

Yweather 0.1a - taskbar weather app

#33 Post by Monsie »

Hi vovchik,

I modified your Pet so that it would get the weather for my location only, and then installed it. It works fine. So, I did not need to compile the source-code for Wary. :)

Thanks very much for this great little utility. I really like the fact that I can get my weather information at a quick glance by simply mousing over the icon in the tray instead of having to open the application and/or have it take up a bunch of space on my screen, --but that is a matter of user preference for me.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Moat

#34 Post by Moat »

Bump for this excellent little app. Just installed and working perfectly in Precice 5.7.1 retro w/Openbox_LxPanel.

This seems like it should be a standard inclusion in all Puppies - weighs almost nothing (file size and CPU overhead) and takes just the tiniest snippet of bandwidth to download such a useful amount of info... actually more info as offered by Weather Station in Pwidgets, but at a small fraction of the bandwidth.

Great applet!! :)

Bob

*edit to add screenshot to show dialup data transferred in Pwidget "Download" window - the fatter "blip" being Pwidget's data, the following small "blip" being Yweather's...
Attachments
Yweather_screenie.jpg
(78.33 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

Rope

#35 Post by Rope »

I tried the pet in Slacko 5.7 and get this error

# yweather 551801 c
Could not open library libgobject-2.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do I have to install library libgobject-2.0.so? From where?

Thanks
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB