Yweather 0.1a - taskbar weather app

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Yogi

#31 Post by Yogi »

Vovchik,

Works in Quirky 1.1. Thanks a bunch!

simargl

#32 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Monsie

Yweather 0.1a - taskbar weather app

#33 Post by Monsie »

Hi vovchik,

I modified your Pet so that it would get the weather for my location only, and then installed it. It works fine. So, I did not need to compile the source-code for Wary. :)

Thanks very much for this great little utility. I really like the fact that I can get my weather information at a quick glance by simply mousing over the icon in the tray instead of having to open the application and/or have it take up a bunch of space on my screen, --but that is a matter of user preference for me.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Moat

#34 Post by Moat »

Bump for this excellent little app. Just installed and working perfectly in Precice 5.7.1 retro w/Openbox_LxPanel.

This seems like it should be a standard inclusion in all Puppies - weighs almost nothing (file size and CPU overhead) and takes just the tiniest snippet of bandwidth to download such a useful amount of info... actually more info as offered by Weather Station in Pwidgets, but at a small fraction of the bandwidth.

Great applet!! :)

Bob

*edit to add screenshot to show dialup data transferred in Pwidget "Download" window - the fatter "blip" being Pwidget's data, the following small "blip" being Yweather's...
Attachments
Yweather_screenie.jpg
(78.33 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

Rope

#35 Post by Rope »

I tried the pet in Slacko 5.7 and get this error

# yweather 551801 c
Could not open library libgobject-2.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do I have to install library libgobject-2.0.so? From where?

Thanks
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

Semme

#36 Post by Semme »

If you, or anyone quite frankly, are running Slacko as a full-blown desktop, keeping the devx loaded is a good idea.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Rope

#37 Post by Rope »

Semme wrote:If you, or anyone quite frankly, are running Slacko as a full-blown desktop, keeping the devx loaded is a good idea.
Could you explain more semme? I never used the devx. Thanks.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Semme

#38 Post by Semme »

Besides a build environment, it contains numerous libs that, for their size, are omitted in the base iso.

It also contains your missing libs and other items that compromise most distros in the 700mb range.

It's easy to live with Pup "as is" until you want something outside the base, then you need :!: libs.

PS - You can dwnld the correct devx from within the menus..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Rope

#39 Post by Rope »

thanks semme
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Semme

#40 Post by Semme »

That mean you got it working?

Rope

#41 Post by Rope »

Semme wrote:That mean you got it working?
No, I did not try again but will consider the devx sfs now that I see the importanvce.
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

Moat

#42 Post by Moat »

Hi vovchik -

I love your Yweather app, and use it every day!

One very minor tweak request, if you don't mind...

I can never remember the script location for entry of the WOEID (in '/usr/local/bin', of course) - always having to use pfind to dig it up. Seems it would be nice to have the '/usr/local/bin' path included in the right-click "Help" window's text, just as a handy reference. That's all...

Otherwise - a great, fast and light little weather script!

Bob

Jasper

#43 Post by Jasper »

Hi Moat,

Re Yweather - I wonder if gRun might be of interest to you:

to try it - open your console/terminal and type

grun

if it opens - Yweather is likely the only app beginning with "y" so type

y

yw [at most, to show the full description]

then press Enter or click OK.

My regards

Moat

#44 Post by Moat »

Thanks, Jasper... but it appears grun is a search-able application launcher (just installed and tried it) that's similar to the one I already have installed in Precise 5.7.1 (Prun?), available via the menu.

I have no trouble actually launching Yweather (I've created multiple .desktop entries in /usr/share/applications for such, so available via the menu as well) - just have trouble remembering where to enter/modify the weather location code (/usr/local/bin) in case I'm traveling about with the laptop and want to check the local weather.

Probably beyond this noob, but it'd be neat solution if I could actually open the executable and find the help text within, for modifying myself... Tried a few hex editors (probably barking up the wrong tree, there...), but it was all Greek to me!

Bob

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

When on the move to say, Wogga Wogga why not use your browser and just type:

weather wogga

My regards

PS I also enjoy Yweather, but only for my home location.

8Geee

#46 Post by 8Geee »

A Pfind search on Slacko 5.7-nonpae finds

libgobject2.0.so.0 ---> copy this symlink, remove the .0
libgobject2.0.so.0.3200.4

Take the first symlink on the list, copy it, but edit the name WITHOUT the .0, then OK.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Moat

#47 Post by Moat »

I hope vovchik doesn't mind... :oops:

As of a few days ago, Yahoo changed it's weather feed API, and now requires an authentication key. This broke Yweather.

Googling around, I managed to find an alternate Yahoo weather URL that still works;

Code: Select all

http://xml.weather.yahoo.com
I managed to re-compile Yweather with this new URL (using the source code from vovchik's first post), and it works again! 8) I also did a little editing of the Help text, in order to add some useful information without making the Help window too large.

Executable attached, for those whom are interested. Just remove the fake .tar.gz extension, right-click choose "permissions" and select "a+x (Make executable/searchable)", and use it to replace the yweather binary executable in /usr/local/bin - should work!

Being such a noob at compiling, the attached executable is huge in comparison to the original (87k vs. 14k) - but it's still quite small, so... no big matter (to me). Many here can do a much better job of compiling Yweather, no doubt. I did try vovchik's compiling options from this post - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 483#679483 - but ended up with a Yweather that wouldn't quit from the right-click menu. So I just stuck with this attached one, which appears to function fine.

Bob
Attachments
yweather.tar.gz
Remove fake .tar.gz extension
(86.11 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

musher0

#48 Post by musher0 »

Good work, Moat! Great initiative!
I have my weather forecast again!

About the size: I stripped it like so:

Code: Select all

strip --strip-unneeded yweather
and it shaved 10k off it. Now down to 74K.

Also, vovchick said he upx'd it. So I did too.
Final result is attached: 20K!

I hope this helps.

BFN.
Attachments
yweather.zip
Unzip in /usr/local/bin or wherever you put yours, and make executable.
(18.87 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Moat

#49 Post by Moat »

Excellent, musher0! :) Your zipped executable works a treat!

This noob will try those compile/compression options you mentioned, and see where it leads...

Thanks!

Bob

Moat

#50 Post by Moat »

Moat wrote:This noob will try those compile/compression options you mentioned, and see where it leads...
Neato - I was able to shave mine down to 21k. That UPX is one powerful compression utility!

Bob