XAMPP 1.8.1 - server package

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rockedge

#31 Post by rockedge »

first use

Code: Select all

#adduser mysql
then run the installer. That way the XAMPP installer will not generate an error when it can not find or create the user 'mysql', it will already be present.

frourio

#32 Post by frourio »

Ok. Removed the said packages. (I also removed their dependencies too. I hope I won't need their dependencies for future use.)

Then I typed the SQL commands.

Before I go ahead and run the installer, does this screenshot look about right as a response from the terminal? I'm guessing the "mysql" folder doesn't exist yet because I haven't run the installer? (Or should I have not gotten that error message?)
Attachments
adduser-after-packages-removed.png
(8.12 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

rockedge

#33 Post by rockedge »

That is how it supposed to look. Looks like it worked...now run the XAMPP installer...it will create everything you will need I think you are almost there!

The error messages can be ignored....and those packages you removed should cause no further problems.

frourio

#34 Post by frourio »

Ok. Confirming that it's working.

Rockedge you're a rock star.

For my own future reference and that of others, these are the dependencies I removed as a result of removing the "password" package, in case I/you ever need them back for other apps:

libpam-modules_1.1.8
libsemanage1_2.2-1
libsemanage-common_2.2-1
libustr-1.0-1_1.0.4
debconf_1.5.51ubuntu2

Now, one other question... if I want XAMPP to live outside of the save file, is it simply a matter of copying the /lampp folder into /mnt/home, and then creating a symlink back to /opt? Or might that mess it all up, now that it's installed?

I tried creating that symlink before installing, but it wasn't able to install, citing errors such as permissions as the problem. It had aborted the install.

gyro

#35 Post by gyro »

frourio wrote:Now, one other question... if I want XAMPP to live outside of the save file, is it simply a matter of copying the /lampp folder into /mnt/home, and then creating a symlink back to /opt? Or might that mess it all up, now that it's installed?

I tried creating that symlink before installing, but it wasn't able to install, citing errors such as permissions as the problem. It had aborted the install.
I know it works, I run it symlinked to /opt/lampp from a different partition on a different drive. I can't remember what order I did it in.

Why not:
Back it up.
Move it.
Symlink it.
Try it.

gyro

frourio

#36 Post by frourio »

Yeah, I was going off the suggestion of your previous post Gyro, but if I'm not mistaken, you mentioned to symlink it first, and then try the install which didn't seem to work in my case. That's why I was wondering if it can be done after the fact.

In any case, yup, I'll give it a try.

rockedge

#37 Post by rockedge »

Glad to read you have success! Yes you can move XAMPP and symlink into /opt after the install. I mostly just change the apache configs in /opt/lampp/etc to indicate the root paths or move the mysql storage by config or symlink. I think I left /opt/lampp/xampp with just the xampp start script and changed the perl to start the servers in /mnt/home/lampp. Getting permissions set correctly is a tad tricky but you will find what works for you.

let me know how you make out!

P.S did you get the GUI control panel going in /opt/lampp/share/xampp-control? You will need more python installed if you didn't. It is just eye candy.

gyro

#38 Post by gyro »

frourio wrote:In any case, yup, I'll give it a try.
It just occured to me that I have ommitted an important piece of information.
The partition that contains my actual "lampp" directory, is formated with an "ext4" filesystem. I expect it to not work if your "/mnt/home" is not a linux partition.

gyro

frourio

#39 Post by frourio »

@rockedge

I think you lost me a little. Are you talking about defining to XAMPP which is your public (htdocs) folder, after you've migrated XAMPP out of the savefile?

I did get the GUI control panel to run. I couldn't locate a setting on it to redefine which folder to set as my public folder (having something different than the default htdocs). I'm guessing I need to do that in some kind of a config file?

@gyro

When you say "for it to work", do you mean for being able to have your XAMPP installation outside of the save file. The particular USB I was working with is not a linx partition. XAMPP works currently but I haven't yet tried to migrate it outside of the savefile. My main Puppy setup will be a linux partition in the end however.
Last edited by frourio on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

gyro

#40 Post by gyro »

frourio wrote:When you say "for it work", do you mean for being able to have your XAMPP installation outside of the save file. The particular USB I was working with is not a linx partition. XAMPP works currently but I haven't yet tried to migrate it outside of the savefile. My main Puppy setup will be a linux partition in the end however.
Yes.
When it's inside the savefile it is on a linux filesystem, so it works ok.
If you want to move it outside the savefile, then you need to move it to a partition formated with a linux filesystem.

gyro

frourio

#41 Post by frourio »

Ok good to know.

Needless to say, "for it work", was supposed to read "for *it to work". ;-)

moi_classic2007

#42 Post by moi_classic2007 »

Thank author! live link for one, who needs it:

http://mirror.yandex.ru/puppyrus/puppyr ... 130107.pfs

jotab

#43 Post by jotab »

The control panel doesn`t start apache and mysql.

I`m using slacko64 6.3.2

Please I need to work with xampp, there is another way to work tell me

rockedge

#44 Post by rockedge »

The control panel doesn`t start apache and mysql.
Probably this version of XAMPP will not start because it will not run in 64 bit.

look into a 64 bit version here