How to increase CRT refresh rate in Puppy 5.10?

Using applications, configuring, problems
wildirish

#16 Post by wildirish »

LOL, I forgot to put the link in my post! :oops:

Here it is:
http://winksounds.tripod.com/xorgconf.txt

Thank you!

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

wildirish wrote:LOL, I forgot to put the link in my post! :oops:

Here it is:
http://winksounds.tripod.com/xorgconf.txt

Thank you!
Here is my edited version of your file. I renamed it to xorg.conf If you have any other files with the same name in: /etc/X11 then first, I recommend renaming those to: xorg.conf.old or something like that. I changed the vertical refresh rate value as per your monitor specs, and so it includes lower values within the operating range. However, this may not be critical unless you want to set a custom resolution, so feel free to change the refresh rate to something like : 85-120 in attempt to bump up the refresh rate if it is too low initially. I also changed the monitor color depth to 16 bpp since you appear to have integrated graphics (on board chip instead of separate video card) and I don't know how much ram you have with your system, but again, feel free to change the value to 24 bpp in testing the configuration.

I hope this works for you, but short of trying other hardware, I feel it is the best we can do here...

Good luck,
Monsie
Attachments
xorg.conf.tar.gz
Custom configuration for SIS 630 graphics with CRT display.
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

wildirish

#18 Post by wildirish »

Sadly, it didn't work. When I replaced the xorg.conf file with the one you made, xorg prompted me to probe the hardware after I restarted X.

So much for Linux being customizable. :(

Thanks for your help, though--I really appreciate it.

Monsie

#19 Post by Monsie »

wildirish wrote:Sadly, it didn't work. When I replaced the xorg.conf file with the one you made, xorg prompted me to probe the hardware after I restarted X.

So much for Linux being customizable. :(

Thanks for your help, though--I really appreciate it.
That's too bad... but it is useful information. It could be that newer versions of Xorg do not support the option of "NoDDC" I am curious as to what version of Xorg you are running in Puppy 2x To find that out you would type:

Code: Select all

Xorg -version
at the terminal. It could be that you might have success if you can find a newer breed of Puppy with a similar version of Xorg.

That said, I'm not ready to give up yet... :) Linux is still customizable... :wink: You still have the option of setting a custom configuration from the command line. Let's say that you want a resolution of 640 X 480 and a vertical refresh rate of 95 hz Such a custom display is defined by setting a new Modeline in the Section "Monitor" of xorg.conf To do that one uses the generalized timing format or gtf command.
In your case, it might be:

gtf 640 480 95
at the terminal. The output will generate a custom Modeline and it is that information that you put into xorg.conf

For example: in my case I have an LCD Monitor that normally runs with a vertical refresh rate of 60 hz which is fairly standard. However, xorg.conf tells me that the monitor will run at 75 hz maximum, so if I want my monitor running at this capacity:

# gtf 1024 768 75

# 1024x768 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 60.15 kHz; pclk: 81.80 MHz
  Modeline "1024x768_75.00"  81.80  1024 1080 1192 1360  768 769 772 802  -HSync +Vsync
Now to edit my xorg.conf I select Modeline "1024x768_75.00" 81.80 1024 1080 1192 1360 768 769 772 802 -HSync +Vsync and paste this in: Section "Monitor"
of xorg.conf This should work providing the new value for your horizontal sync is within range, so you need to check that. You shouldn't need to worry about the pclk (pixel clock) value as long as your vertical and horizontal sync rates are within range... so I won't go into that here.

I would try gtf at various frequencies: 90, 92, 95, 98 in attempt to find a sweet spot. Modify your original xorg.conf with the new Modeline that you generate, but as a last resort, I would also try modifying the xorg.conf that I edited for you.

Hang in there,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.