Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 05:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Questions: Precise .pets, Package manager, Multimedia keys
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
toomanyquestions

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 16:17    Post subject: Can I dual FM?
Subject description: fms

`f00 wrote:
Traditionally xfe is my first add-on to any pup... .

Is it possible to dual FM or must I install xfe, uninstall ROX, and reboot?
capicoso

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 17:02    Post subject: Re: Can I dual FM?

toomanyquestions wrote:
`f00 wrote:
Traditionally xfe is my first add-on to any pup... .

Is it possible to dual FM or must I install xfe, uninstall ROX, and reboot?

i THINK i tried pcmanfm but no luck.. Didn't try thunar either on puppy. XFE is very similar to thunar or any other. It can even have more panels/trees. The interface is costumizable, etc.
Qtfm has very fewer options, but the few options it has are just what i need, and what is better than xfe is that is more lightweight.
Yes you can dual fm. You shouldn't uninstall rox.
I think that the important thing is that XFE or Qtfm or whatever, must/should especially made for puppy. If you install nautilus for example from ubuntu repos, it may load your pc of crap.
I'm not on my puppy with xfe right now, BUT i think i installed it from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=382962 .
And also there's a NLS package if you need other languages.
And here is qtfm http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80964&sid=7f1042c2145c716fff374d38b0b5bfc7 you need to download QT sfs too.
When you install it'll be added to menu-filesystem. But it'll not be default. Like, when you press the drives icons on the desktop it'll show ROx first. So to mount units you would need to open rox(or pmount) and then xfe.
There's a way though. I didn't like the idea of opening two FMs just to mount and use drives. I asked for help here but got mixed solutions(nobody really wanted XFE to open the drives by default). So messing around i came out with a solution. If you want it ask me and i go to my other puppy and check.

edit: Ah the nice thing i liked about qtfm is that it automatically creates shortcuts of the drives on the left tree, with drives icons and all. So you don't have to go to /mnt/sdxx
toomanyquestions

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 18:05    Post subject: Re: Can I dual FM?

capicoso wrote:
XFE is very similar to thunar or any other. It can even have more panels/trees. The interface is costumizable, etc. Qtfm has fewer options, but the few options it has are just what i need...

XFE vs. Qtfm - are we talking about a substantial difference in resource usage? It sounds like you use XFE but have soft spot for Qtfm? All else aside, my decision probably hinges on CPU/Ram.

capicoso wrote:
Ah the nice thing i liked about qtfm is that it automatically creates shortcuts of the drives on the left tree

That does sound nice. Is it fairly easy to create said shortcuts w/XEF (drag & drop folders from /mnt)?

capicoso wrote:
I didn't like the idea of opening two FMs just to mount and use drives...I came out with a solution. If you want it ask me and i go to my other puppy and check.

I wouldn't either. But since I'm using Macpup (Enlightenment), I may be able to pick a default fm with Settings > Settings Panel. I'll get back to you on that front if I'm unsuccessful Smile

Thanks so much for the help -
capicoso

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 19:11    Post subject: Re: Can I dual FM?

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote:
XFE is very similar to thunar or any other. It can even have more panels/trees. The interface is costumizable, etc. Qtfm has fewer options, but the few options it has are just what i need...

XFE vs. Qtfm - are we talking about a substantial difference in resource usage? It sounds like you use XFE but have soft spot for Qtfm? All else aside, my decision probably hinges on CPU/Ram.

capicoso wrote:
Ah the nice thing i liked about qtfm is that it automatically creates shortcuts of the drives on the left tree

That does sound nice. Is it fairly easy to create said shortcuts w/XEF (drag & drop folders from /mnt)?

capicoso wrote:
I didn't like the idea of opening two FMs just to mount and use drives...I came out with a solution. If you want it ask me and i go to my other puppy and check.

I wouldn't either. But since I'm using Macpup (Enlightenment), I may be able to pick a default fm with Settings > Settings Panel. I'll get back to you on that front if I'm unsuccessful Smile

Thanks so much for the help -

Both XFE and QTfm are lightweight. I didn't check how much ram each one consumes. But on slacko with compiz and all, qtfm opens really fast, on precise XFE takes a bit longer. Also, QTfm looks prettier(though i'm not a fan of eyecandy things) it's nice. It reminds me of pcmanfm from LXDE, lightweight but pretty enough. XFE looks more like w98 explorer. I really like it tho. Especially the 2 panel thing. Both have an "open terminal here" command, that's always handy.

I didn't try to make shortcuts to the tree on XFE, i just got used to /mnt. I forgot about those shorcuts until i used qtfm last week :p .

No problem!
tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 10:39    Post subject:  

Is the list of packages in 'puppy-noarch' in the Slacko 5.4 ppm built by the ppm, or do the packages exist in a repository somewhere, or on a list somewhere?

tallboy

npierce

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 15:10    Post subject:  

I'm currently running an old Racy, not a new Slacko, so haven't verified this, but (after looking at Woof) I think this is the way it works in Slacko as well. Somebody please correct me if this is wrong.

The list of packages in the puppy-noarch repo is contained in the /root/.packages/Packages-puppy-noarch-official file.

When you choose to update the database for the PPM, the PPM gets the current version of Packages-puppy-noarch-official from http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/. (It will also grab files with lists for other repos from the same place and from other places.)

The actual packages for the puppy-noarch repo live in http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-noarch/.
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013, 01:55    Post subject:  

Thank you, npierce.
npierce

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013, 20:49    Post subject:  

You're welcome.

By the way, the list also lives in the fossil Woof repository, which also has earlier versions of the list.
green_dome

PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013, 21:57    Post subject:  

toomanyquestions wrote:
capicoso wrote:
1) Yes you can use lucid pets on precise, or even 4.3. But when a program is compiled on certain platform, it may not work well on other. But all of the pets i tested from lucid, 4.3 worked fine.

Apparently the missing files I noted above were deal breakers. Hence I've been looking for a libreoffice .pet for Precise / Lucid to no avail. Perhaps there are download locations I've missed?

I'm assuming this won't work since it's slackware compatible -> http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/puppylinux/pet_packages-slacko/Libreoffice-3.5.2.pet ?

Does puppy have a utility that will install multiple .debs at once? I ask because I noticed that the official (from site) LibreOffice package extracts to a folder full of .debs. The thought of installing each was, shall we say, not encouraging.

Should I just be looking for an .sfs...?

One way to install LibreOffice is via "GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality" [>]
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: