Puppy2: Dotpups, swap file, OpenOffice

Using applications, configuring, problems
shankargopal

Puppy2: Dotpups, swap file, OpenOffice

#1 Post by shankargopal »

I love Puppy 2.0 - I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, though, correction, I miss Puppy 1.0.8's flexibility in a few respects.

But a few questions I had (maybe rather dumb, but after an hour on the forum I can't figure them out):

1. Do old dotpups work with Puppy 2? I am particularly interested in Tor and Enlightenment (and cna't download megapup - it's way too huge).

2. Do old pupgets work in Puppy 2?

3. I work on multiple computers, mostly where I can't meddle with the partition table. In Puppy 1 I used to create a swapfile on a VFAT partition which did just fine. But in Puppy 2, even if I create one and do a manual "swapon", it doesn't get reflected in the memory applet. A use of the "free" command also makes it seem like the swap file is not being used??

4. When I tried to install the Open Office Pupget, I got a dependency with this library: libpkgchk645li.so. A few others have complained of this problem on the forums in Puppy 1 as well but no one seems to have responded. Meanwhile, I don't know if this is the reason, but swriter does nothing - if you type it at the prompt, it just returns you to the prompt.

Once again a great congratulations to Barry and the rest of the people who contributed so much

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Enlightenment works.

Generally all dotpups work.
In some cases, slight additional adaption is needed.

1) /root/.etc
Some older Dotpups store configurationfiles there.
For Puppy2, you must copy them to /etc

2) /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps

You must copy those files to
/usr/share/pixmaps

3) /opt
This is non-existent in Puppy1, so very few Dotpups add scripts to the startup-scripts to create that folder.
Such Dotpups might need a complete repackage.

4) /root/.usr
I once made an Apache -Dotpup, that uses this folder for /www.
This Dotpup would need repackaging with replacing this folder with /usr in the Apache-configfiles.

Conclusion:
Puppy2 is binary-compatible, so most dotpups work without changes.
But as Puppy 1 used some tricks to make /etc and /usr writable, some Dotpups need an update for Puppy2, that acts much more like a "normal" Linux installed to a harddisk.

Enlightenment does not use such "tricks", so it should work without changes, it just might miss one or two libs you can install as Dotpup.
Run "enlightenment" in a consolewindow to see, if you get library-errors.

For Megapup003, I had to make no changes to Enlightenment, while I had to completely build from scratch KDE, that uses /opt.

----------------------
concerning the OpenOffice-library:
you could your old Puppy 1xx usr_cram.fs or pup001 and search for it.
Or extract it from a RPM-package with "unrpm" (Install with the Dotpup-downloader).
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&ie=IS ... uche&meta=

Then copy it to /usr/lib

Or look in /root/.packages/openoffice...files if it is listed there.
If yes, add the path where it is listed to /etc/ld.so.conf
This is just a guess, I did not try that.

Mark

shankargopal

#3 Post by shankargopal »

A few reports:

1. Enlightenment dotpup works just fine, as predicted.

2. I got OpenOffice to open though I didn't get that library (it was only available in bundles with other libraries adding up to huge sizes). It turns out that the soffice / swriter / etc. files in /usr/bin were empty (size 0). The real program was located in /usr/OpenOffice1.1.4/program/. If you symlink the files in /usr/bin to these files, OpenOffice starts fine and seems to work fine.

Thanks a lot!

MU

#4 Post by MU »

yes, that's a bug with the OO-pupget, you should report it in the bugforum.
I gave up trying to get it working because I was too tired, and then forgot it :oops:
Mark