How to change Precise's default Email to Yahoo?

Using applications, configuring, problems
retry3

How to change Precise's default Email to Yahoo?

#1 Post by retry3 »

Can't get SM Email working due to no co-op from my ISP , TimeWarner roadrunner, so want to set my Yahoo Email as default.

Searched Forums also w/ Google but nothing close enough. I have newbie skills, or lower,so I hope the answer is not beyond my reach.

I have tried everything I know how to do.

Precise 5.6.1 frugal install

TIA retry3

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi retry3; Newer Puppies have a GUI app.: [Menu] > [Setup] > [Default Applications Chooser]

You should always tell your Puppy version ( I forget sometimes ).

Other than that, the file is: /root/.usr/local/bin/defaultemail

L18L

Re: How to change default Email from SM

#3 Post by L18L »

retry3 wrote:... want to set my Yahoo Email as default..
In Seamonkey browser press F1 key (or Help > Help Contents)
See screenshot

Try again
then report what you will have done (success or not) please
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(72.85 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

OscarTalks

Re: How to change default Email from SM

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

retry3 wrote:...want to set my Yahoo Email as default.
Do you mean for example that if you click the email icon that you want it to open your browser and go directly to Yahoo webmail?

If so just open:-
Menu > Setup > Default Applications Chooser

Then in the Email field enter:-
seamonkey http://mail.yahoo.com

and click "Apply"
Oscar in England

retry3

Thanks & update

#5 Post by retry3 »

Thanks for all the good advice - am still working at it and will give another update, one way or the other.

Between OscarTalks and L18L, I got the email icon to bring up the web browser, which is a good thing, but that is not the main part of the problem.

I didn't make it clear that there is a problem when I am on a website and they have an email "contact us" feature. When you click on that email box or icon, it tries to open whatever default email client you have on your computer, but can't open a web browser, at least in SM.

Since I cannot get either SM or Thunderbird to work with my ISP (TimeWarner Roadrunner) there is no default email client on my computer and therefore I cannot send emails using the provided "contact us" feature of whatever website I am on. Sometimes that is the only way to contact them.

Tech Support at TimeWarner tells me its all the fault of Tbird or SM or Linux, not them.

I thought of other browsers or separate email clients but this is taking a heck of a lot of time.

Thanks again to all
retry3

Monsie

How to change default Email from SM

#6 Post by Monsie »

Hi retry 3,

Another option for you to consider is to configure your web based e-mail application to work within your SeaMonkey e-mail client. This way, you don't have to worry about adjusting default programs, and the "contact us" feature should work fine in SM browser.

Basically, it involves changing the default ports for sending and receiving e-mail when you set up your web e-mail account to work in an e-mail client such as: SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, Outlook, or even Pegasus Mail. Here is a link for how to set that up with Yahoo Mail:
http://email.about.com/od/yahoomailtips ... rogram.htm

For myself, I have a Hotmail account configured to run in SeaMonkey e-mail client, because I like the extra features and richness of client handled e-mail over web application handled e-mail.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

OscarTalks

Re: Thanks & update

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

retry3 wrote: I cannot send emails using the provided "contact us" feature of whatever website I am on. Sometimes that is the only way to contact them.
Ah, you are talking about mailto links in webpages.

I think that because SeaMonkey is a suite it is set up to automatically handle these mailto links by opening them in SeaMonkey Mail. I took a quick look but I can't see a way of changing that in the preferences but maybe somebody knows how to do it (?).

It is fairly easy to work around it though. If you have the status bar displaying, all you need to do is hover the mouse over the link and you will see the e-mail address displayed something like "mailto:info@domain.com" so you can type it in manually.

If you right-click that link you should be able to copy the e-mail address to clipboard and then paste it into the address field of the Yahoo webmail "compose" page. I only ever use webmail and never bother clicking on those mailto links.

In Firefox it is very easy to associate mailto links with Yahoo or Google webmail. It is a setting in the preferences.
Oscar in England

retry3

#8 Post by retry3 »

This response is delayed because I ran into a big problem that I feel I should warn others of.

Working on the email problem after starting this thread on Sept 5th I tried to install Thunderbird through my ISP, Time Warner Cable RoadRunner, and it wouldn't work. TimeWarner said it was not their fault, that there was something wrong with Thunderbird.

They gave me what they said was a phone number for Thunderbird support, 1-855-310-2309. I called, and the person answering had me reboot into Widows and enter words, such as "support me",and "LogMein 123.com", and also numbers, in the address bar of my browser and do some downloading. He gained control of the computer and did a lot of things.

Then he says he is associated with or works for LogMein Rescue and I see a display of "GuruAid.com". Then he says for $120.00 he can service my computer. I terminated the scam, but too late.

My computer would boot nothing but Windows XP, which was on my hard drive. I had Puppy 5.6.1 on a USB thumb drive and Puppy 5.7.1 on a live CD and had been able to boot them before this. Changing the boot order had no effect, or anything else for a few days.

Finally got back into Puppy with a Slacko 5.6 live CD also the other 2 pups, and able to again try the default browser routine.

sunburnt & L18L -
Thanks but the default application for email will not list any web mail accounts, only email clients, and even though I followed OscarTalks advice on entering seamonkey/yahoo manually, it only worked on the desktop icon, not on the mailto links on web pages.

Monsie -
Thanks, it looks like that will really work, but Yahoo wants to you to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus for a monthly fee before that will work. I agree with you on the web versus client email features.

OscarTalks -
Thanks again, I feel really backward not to have noticed the hovering mouse solution to getting an email address, your tip is really helpful.

Thanks to the help, I now have Tbird and Sylpheed as default email clients, as well as SM. SOLVED

There was somebody else who was interested in the problem, but I have lost that post somewhere in this mess. Hope this helps,

Any suggestions of where else I should take my long sad story of being misled by TimeWarner and LogMein ?
(somehow,some text is in bold; sorry about that)
Regards,
retry3