Puppy 528 power off problem

Please post any bugs you have found
Moose On The Loose

Puppy 528 power off problem

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Puppy 528

The menu item "power-off" cause what appears to be an attempt to shut down that works like a restart of puppy.

If I exit to a prompt and type the poweroff command the power does go off. I have seen this on 4 full installs. It only happens after they have been used for a while so I am at a bit of a loss as to how to trouble shoot this. If it is only a corruption on these few machines, I may just make a kludge to repair the problem and not worry about it. If others see it, I will dig deeper.

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

I've seen the same or similar problem with 528.
One full install may have shutdown-reboot problems, while
an identical install on another partition works fine.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

With full installs only.

If the partition the full install is on, is mounted. When you choose "power off", it will do as you indicate.

What I mean by mounted is, look at the drive icons on the lower left of the desktop. Look at the icon for the drive the full install is on. If it shows the indication the drive is mounted, you will have this problem.

If this is your condition. Just make sure to right click on drive icon and unmount drive before choosing "power off".

This is a bug in the shutdown process with Puppy 528.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

Moose On The Loose,
Which version of lucid pup 528 are you using? The shutdown script is different between regular lupu and the lupuplus versions.

bigpup,
Can you tell me more about the bug you mention? Do you know anything about how it was fixed elsewhere? I can probably fix it if the solution is already known, but cannot, right now, take time to investigate it on my own.
Richard

rjbrewer

#5 Post by rjbrewer »

bigpup wrote:With full installs only.

If the partition the full install is on, is mounted. When you choose "power off", it will do as you indicate.

If this is your condition. Just make sure to right click on drive icon and unmount drive before choosing "power off".
Right; I'd forgotten that.
Got used to Wary with its' "left click the red x" to unmount.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Moose On The Loose

#6 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rerwin wrote:Moose On The Loose,
Which version of lucid pup 528 are you using? The shutdown script is different between regular lupu and the lupuplus versions.

bigpup,
Can you tell me more about the bug you mention? Do you know anything about how it was fixed elsewhere? I can probably fix it if the solution is already known, but cannot, right now, take time to investigate it on my own.
Richard
I only know this as 528-004. I am about to test the "if it mounted" issue. If that is what is happening, then perhaps, we are a long way towards a fix. I am going to continue to dig because it appears others have seen this.

I will check back here a lot to see if someone else already has solved it. If so, we may want to make a *.pet that brings the fix into puppy 528s. We can make the install script do a lot of checking before the actual overwrite happens. This way, others won't break their systems if they install the pet.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

rerwin wrote: bigpup,
Richard
It only affects full installs of Lucid Puppy 528.
If the drive is mounted that the full install is on, (drive icon shows green dot) power off will do basically a x-server reboot. The computer will start a shutdown, but will end up booting back to the desktop. Network will not be active.
If you look at the drive icon for the drive the full install is on and it indicates mounted. (Green dot) If you left click on icon and select unmount. Now do a power off, it will power off as it should.

Not sure how or when this got fixed for newer versions of Puppy. Probably something Barry did to the shutdown scripts.
Did find this:
http://www.bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02505

and these two:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77818
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 461#576461
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

bigpup,
Thank you for those links. The lupuplus versions of Lucid Pup contain the fixes Barry describes. Lupuplus matches that code in wary 5.3. To patch the "non-plus" lucid pups, I provided a "patch-8" that contains the shutdown fix and other puppy-architecture fixes that are in the "pluses".

So, the solution appears to be to upgrade to one of the plus versions or apply patch-8 to the regular lupu.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 542#620542

There is an additional patch-8c that updates both types of lucid pup, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 275#624275

Your second link does not appear to apply to lupu. The third looks interesting, but I will defer investigating that, particularly if the patch fixes the problem.
Richard