What is the difference between PostregSQL and SQLite?

Booting, installing, newbie
musher0

What is the difference between PostregSQL and SQLite?

#1 Post by musher0 »

Hello, everyone !

Could someone explain to me in simple terms what is the difference between PostresSQL and SQLite?

I have found and compiled a minuscule utility that converts DBF files to PostregSQL, and I was wondering if the resulting file could be loaded in seamonkey's (or firefox's) SQLite Manager. I could try it out myself, of course, but I know nothing, to be frank, about SQL, so the likelihood of me making all manner of mistakes is high.

It would be great if the formats were compatible, since this would open up recuperation of old DBF files to modern flat-filing, and save small-business people and SOHO's a lot of time! :)

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mysp

#2 Post by Mysp »

1. You did not specify URL for minuscule utility. I have tried to find it, but the word "minuscule" is quite general and I have got many other. non relevant links for the keyword. If the Minuscule utility really create binary compatible PostgreSQL files, I doubt that can be use in any other database system. If you want to reuse DBF files, the best approach is to find utility to convert DBF files to CSV files. Then CSV files can be read by any database system (and many other programs, too). I cannot recommend specific Linux utility for that, but certainly there will be several ones (the DBF file format is quite simple).

2. I never investigated SQLite manager in Firefox. But as far as I now, SQLlte embedded in Firefox is intended just for storing internal data of Firefox (like bookmarks, history etc). Earlier versions of Firefox use plain text files for that purpose (which I think was better). If you want to use SQLite like your database system, I think you should install standalone SQLite (in the form of PET or SFS: I do not know what is available.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello, Mysp.

Thank you for your answer.

The "minuscule" utility is attached. Its name is pgdbf-0.6.2, which I found at http://pgdbf.sourceforge.net/.

About the csv format, you're not the first one to say that it's the most universal databasing format. I suppose that OpenOffice or gnumeric can be the easiest "go-between" from DBF to csv, and then, possibly, any SQL program can load this csv ?

Again, many thanks for your input.

Best regards.

musher0
Attachments
pgdbf-0.6.2.pet
"minuscule" dbf to postregSQL conversion utility
(15.03 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

In case this is still relative I had quite a lot of exposure to DBF111Plus back in the 70's . That created ".dbf" files In that case you could open the file with a text editor and by playing with the window width get all the fields to line up under one another.

Of course transfering to csv makes sence but if you just want a quick squiz ...