ArchPup - First Puppy with pacman for installing apps

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
simargl

#151 Post by simargl »

As you know Puppy Linux uses HWCLOCK="localtime", but in Arch Linux announcement says: We now strongly
discourage the use of HWCLOCK="localtime", as this may lead to several known and unfixable bugs.
On the other side, if HWCLOCK is set to UTC then Windows would not show the time correctly. I will change it to localtime, to avoid possible complaints.
mavrothal,
those files you mentioned are all provided by Arch packages

Code: Select all

[root@archpup ~]# spkg file dhcpcd.conf
Package                   File
dhcpcd                    /etc/dhcpcd.conf
pwireless2                /usr/local/Pwireless2/dhcpcd.conf
[root@archpup ~]# spkg file protocols  
iana-etc                  /etc/protocols
[root@archpup ~]# spkg file services 
iana-etc                  /etc/services
libreoffice               /opt/libreoffice3.6/program/services/services.rdb
libreoffice               /opt/libreoffice3.6/ure/share/misc/services.rdb
libreoffice               /opt/libreoffice3.6/ure/lib/stocservices.uno.so
qt                        /usr/include/Qt/qdesktopservices.h
qt                        /usr/include/QtGui/qdesktopservices.h
I will add powerapplet_tray if it can use Faenza theme, so tray icons will look nice and consistent.

mavrothal

#152 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:As you know Puppy Linux uses HWCLOCK="localtime", but in Arch Linux announcement says: We now strongly
discourage the use of HWCLOCK="localtime", as this may lead to several known and unfixable bugs.
On the other side, if HWCLOCK is set to UTC then Windows would not show the time correctly. I will change it to localtime, to avoid possible complaints.
But then a "proper" linux distro shows the wrong time till you sync the clock and from what I can see 55% of the Archpup downloads are from Linux machines...
simargl wrote:I will add powerapplet_tray if it can use Faenza theme, so tray icons will look nice and consistent.
I do not really care which battery monitor will be included. I just believe that any distro should (does) include one OOTB.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#153 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote:

ln -s /usr/lib/libpng15.so.15.13.0 /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
Works now! Thanks, Still I like batterymon the best.

Scooby likes quests :twisted:
stifiling wrote: i use isomaster and edit an already working iso...deleting the files out that i don't want, and replacing them with the ones that i do. and saving as a new iso.

pacman -S isomaster
I want to create a script that works across different puppies so I will try to make it work
with makeisofs. But I will have a look at isomaster.

simargl

#154 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:I do not really care which battery monitor will be included. I just believe that any distro should (does) include one OOTB.
Battery monitor is already included, it's called conky. I thought powerapplet was some 'special wish', if not then it's fine.

mavrothal

#155 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:Battery monitor is already included, it's called conky. I thought powerapplet was some 'special wish', if not then it's fine.
mavrothal wrote:I would suggest to include a battery monitor tray app (rather than conky module) in 132
The reason you want a tray applet for battery and not conky is that laptops have a small screen usually filled by whatever you are using. You do not want to start closing/moving windows while you are working on battery power to check your battery levels and time left to work on it.
Is a basic usability thing but if you think is a luxury... so be it.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#156 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:
mavrothal wrote:I do not really care which battery monitor will be included. I just believe that any distro should (does) include one OOTB.
Battery monitor is already included, it's called conky. I thought powerapplet was some 'special wish', if not then it's fine.
Is that a progressbar beneath "ACPI Battery: Charged"

Do you have the script for it?

mavrothal

#157 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote: Is that a progressbar beneath "ACPI Battery: Charged"

Do you have the script for it?
I do not know exactly for the specific one but this (and the link therein) should help.

Sage

#158 Post by Sage »

@Sage: Would you be so kind and explain with some more details what are "lots of faults and
shortcomings with ArchPup". Thanks.
Assumed it'd be apparent from foregoing + my own earlier comments? Not necessarily to be taken as personal admonishment (are you American? - they don't seem to have the same appreciation of the language and its usage as do the Brits), just that the gestation of all Puppies has been and continues to be fraught - as evident from BK's blog, inter alia.

simargl

#159 Post by simargl »

I don't have conky config from that screenshot, but you may look here http://vaipui.wordpress.com/2012/06/10/conky-battery/
Sage, my nationality is actually Serbian and I can hardly communicate in English at all, but I try :wink:.
Mine short messages are sometimes interpreted as I am being mad or something and I'm sorry about that.
So let's return to this subject - for you ArchPup shortcoming is that in radio list is missing BBC, or something more.
I am asking with best intention of improving for future release

ciento

#160 Post by ciento »

I never noticed any flaws in your english. If there were,
compare it to the famous little mole on Cindy Crawford :lol:

Understanding linux, Serbian and English, is quite a feat!

pakwarung

#161 Post by pakwarung »

hello i am newbie in here

my question is how to install modem driver sierra 598u?

thank you

stifiling

#162 Post by stifiling »

pakwarung wrote:hello i am newbie in here

thank you
run the command 'dmesg' and see if the usb modem is being recognized without an error.

see if the app 'wvdial' shows the modem, if 'dmesg' looks ok.

Scooby

#163 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: I do not know exactly for the specific one but this (and the link therein) should help.
simargl wrote:I don't have conky config from that screenshot, but you may look here http://vaipui.wordpress.com/2012/06/10/conky-battery/
Thank you, got a nice conky now. :)
Last edited by Scooby on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#164 Post by Scooby »

simargl

I was thinking about automatic login.

I like it but I want a failsafe, say after 10 tries it stops trying and drops out to tty.

I think this could be done via a file holding the number of tries
Maybe .xinitrc could reset it?

Is there a better way to do this?

pakwarung

#165 Post by pakwarung »

stifiling wrote:
pakwarung wrote:hello i am newbie in here

thank you
run the command 'dmesg' and see if the usb modem is being recognized without an error.

see if the app 'wvdial' shows the modem, if 'dmesg' looks ok.
i dont see modem works
see this link
http://pastebin.com/KBYKdjFG

stifiling

#166 Post by stifiling »

pakwarung wrote:i dont see modem works
see this link
i see it's detecting...but appears to be giving off an immediate error. i don't have the hardware so won't be of much help. but i do want to ask, are you plugging the usb modem into a pcmcia usb hub, or into an integrated usb port?

if you're plugging the usb modem into a usb hub...try using one of the usb ports that's built into the motherboard. and see if dmesg reads differently after.

if that's not the case, i don't know what it could be. have you gotten it working using another linux distro?

simargl

#167 Post by simargl »

Thanks Scooby, good idea. I have added X_AUTOLOGIN_ATTEMPTS="3" in rc.conf
and while loop in /etc/profile, it will try to start Xorg 3 times and then exit if that fails.
Hope I've done this right...

if [ -z "$WINDOW_MANAGER" ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Environment variable WINDOW_MANAGER is not set."
else
  if [ $X_AUTOLOGIN == "yes" ]; then
    ATTEMPT="1"
    while [ $ATTEMPT -le $X_AUTOLOGIN_ATTEMPTS ]; do
      archpupx
      ATTEMPT=$(( $ATTEMPT + 1 ))
    done
  fi
fi

Scooby

#168 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:Thanks Scooby, good idea. I have added X_AUTOLOGIN_ATTEMPTS="3" in rc.conf
and while loop in /etc/profile, it will try to start Xorg 3 times and then exit if that fails.
Hope I've done this right...

if [ -z "$WINDOW_MANAGER" ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Environment variable WINDOW_MANAGER is not set."
else
  if [ $X_AUTOLOGIN == "yes" ]; then
    ATTEMPT="1"
    while [ $ATTEMPT -le $X_AUTOLOGIN_ATTEMPTS ]; do
      archpupx
      ATTEMPT=$(( $ATTEMPT + 1 ))
    done
  fi
fi
I dont seem to have a rc.conf in /etc but I hacked in the code in profile.
It seems to work!

pakwarung

#169 Post by pakwarung »

stifiling wrote:
pakwarung wrote:i dont see modem works
see this link
i see it's detecting...but appears to be giving off an immediate error. i don't have the hardware so won't be of much help. but i do want to ask, are you plugging the usb modem into a pcmcia usb hub, or into an integrated usb port?

if you're plugging the usb modem into a usb hub...try using one of the usb ports that's built into the motherboard. and see if dmesg reads differently after.

if that's not the case, i don't know what it could be. have you gotten it working using another linux distro?
it is docking like sony vaio ux series
with puppy slacko works gui setting...

so what wrong with archpup ?

stifiling

#170 Post by stifiling »

pakwarung,

with the usb modem plugged in try,

modprobe sierra
then see if:

dmesg | grep -i usb