ArchPup - First Puppy with pacman for installing apps

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bark_bark_bark

#91 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am not sure if it makes a difference. X should load on start-up pending that all the environment variables are there.

dennis-slacko531

simargl --<>-- I salute you

#92 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

You are to be commended. With Hippie Peace

simargl

#93 Post by simargl »

stifiling,
Think I fixed sfs_load to support different adrv names. Here is simple patch, with one line -
every sfs file beggining with adrv will be hidden.
Attachments
hide_adrv_1.9.2.patch.gz
(317 Bytes) Downloaded 256 times

mavrothal

#94 Post by mavrothal »

You may want to reconsider both the adrv-* in DIDRTO_SPECS and adrv_* hiding in SFS_load
No time to test but I believe presence of multiple adrv SFSs may crash the system with adrv-* in DIDRTO_SPECS.
At the same time hiding adrv_* from SFS_load will make impossible to load and test, say, adrv_kde while you are running adrv_openbox.
"Because we can" does not apply to everything (hopefully you all follow US politics :P )

adrv and ydrv are for the archpup developer/user to easier build and modify the total OS. Is not part of the user interface to be changed on the fly. For that you have SFS_load.
Mixing the 2 can end up in more confusion than "solutions".
People actually may want to use the system instead of just keep modifying it. :roll:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#95 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote:
Scooby wrote:it compiles OK and put new psmouse,ko in /usr/lib/modules/3.6.8-1-ARCH/update dir
i'd try moving psmouse.ko file inside the folder /lib/modules/3.6.8/misc and:

Code: Select all

depmod -a
modprobe psmouse
and see if modprobe loads it without an error. if so add psmouse to the addlist line in /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG...and reboot, and hopefully it works.
tried the above, no complaints from modprobe
I didnt have the misc dir so I created it.

During startup there is a line saying module psmouse loaded.

This however changes nothing. Still doesnt read config files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf/10-synaptics

I have read a lot on arch forums but cannot get my head around this
I can add that basic touchpad works, buttons and moving cursor,
But no two-finger scroll and wot is worse every time I type I accidentally
graze touchpad, sensitivity is to high.

any suggestions? writing rule for udev concerning touchpad?
I am from windows and feel a little bit lost here in LInux-land,

See below info

from udevadm

looking at device '/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input1/mouse0':
    KERNEL=="mouse0"
    SUBSYSTEM=="input"
    DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input1':
    KERNELS=="input1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="input"
    DRIVERS==""
    ATTRS{name}=="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
    ATTRS{phys}=="isa0060/serio4/input0"
    ATTRS{uniq}==""
    ATTRS{properties}=="1"

looking at parent device '/devices/platform/i8042/serio4':
    KERNELS=="serio4"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="serio"
    DRIVERS=="psmouse"
    ATTRS{resolution}=="200"
    ATTRS{rate}=="100"
    ATTRS{bind_mode}=="auto"
    ATTRS{resync_time}=="0"
    ATTRS{debug}=="0x01"
    ATTRS{description}=="i8042 AUX3 port"
    ATTRS{paritycheck}=="0x01"
    ATTRS{resetafter}=="5"
    ATTRS{reg_07}=="0x00"
    ATTRS{reg_10}=="0x0b"
    ATTRS{reg_11}=="0x00"
    ATTRS{reg_20}=="0x45"
    ATTRS{reg_21}=="0xff"
    ATTRS{reg_22}=="0xff"
    ATTRS{reg_23}=="0x00"
    ATTRS{reg_24}=="0x00"
    ATTRS{reg_25}=="0x00"
    ATTRS{reg_26}=="0x00"
    ATTRS{protocol}=="ETPS/2"
from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

103 [    36.282] (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
    104 [    36.282] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
    105 [    36.282] (II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    106 [    36.282]    compiled for 1.13.0, module version = 1.8.1
    107 [    36.282]    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    108 [    36.282]    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 18.0

253 [    37.181] (II) Using input driver 'mouse' for '<default pointer>'
    254 [    37.181] (**) Option "CorePointer" "on"
    255 [    37.181] (**) <default pointer>: always reports core events
    256 [    37.181] (WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
    257 [    37.246] (II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/psaux"
    258 [    37.246] (--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/psaux"
    259 [    37.246] (==) <default pointer>: Protocol: "Auto"
    260 [    37.246] (**) <default pointer>: always reports core events
    261 [    37.246] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    262 [    37.290] (==) <default pointer>: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    263 [    37.290] (**) <default pointer>: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    264 [    37.290] (**) <default pointer>: Buttons: 9
    265 [    37.290] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "<default pointer>" (type: MOUSE, id 6)
    266 [    37.290] (**) <default pointer>: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
    267 [    37.290] (**) <default pointer>: (accel) acceleration profile 0
    268 [    37.290] (**) <default pointer>: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    269 [    37.290] (**) <default pointer>: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    270 [    37.290] (II) <default pointer>: Setting mouse protocol to "ExplorerPS/2"
    271 [    37.581] (II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
from xinput list

⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ <default pointer>                       	id=6	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ <default keyboard>                      	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]

stifiling

#96 Post by stifiling »

mav,

if you see an idea you don't think will work....wouldn't it saves time if you'd just, voice your issues with it.......sooner?

i mentioned the * in DISTRO_SPECS 2 days ago.

another example of this was in the last thread, after you got the adrv working, and sim implemented it. you mentioned...2 days later "forget the adrive" and gave your reasons, but it's still like..........why'd u wait so long.

"Well now that you've got it all set up, here's some good reasons why you shouldn't use it."

come on man. that deserves a reply of, "Well after all this hard work, I think I'm going to just use it." The same reply as last time.

stifiling

#97 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:any suggestions? writing rule for udev concerning touchpad?
only thing i could suggest Scooby, which isn't much help, is...if it works in a traditional puppy, trying to probe that system to find what's making it 'tick'. and then trying to fit those pieces into archpup to see if it works.

is the two finger scrolling a feature on 'newer' laptops? it's not a feature that i use, so i'm not sure if any of my machines are even able to do it.

mavrothal

#98 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:mav,

if you see an idea you don't think will work....wouldn't it saves time if you'd just, voice your issues with it.......sooner?

i mentioned the * in DISTRO_SPECS 2 days ago.

another example of this was in the last thread, after you got the adrv working, and sim implemented it. you mentioned...2 days later "forget the adrive" and gave your reasons, but it's still like..........why'd u wait so long.

"Well now that you've got it all set up, here's some good reasons why you shouldn't use it."

come on man. that deserves a reply of, "Well after all this hard work, I think I'm going to just use it." The same reply as last time.
stif, ( :lol: )
I'm kind of busy these days (and certainly can not reply or even see every post).

Regarding the older adrv discussion, was in the context of an app-less iso, if I remember correctly and not on a/ydrv itself.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#99 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:stif, ( :lol: )
I'm kind of busy these days (and certainly can not reply or even see every post).
ok. didn't know the * idea had gone unnoticed. this reply, from 2 days ago, had me thinking maybe u'd seen it.
mavrothal wrote:Regarding the older adrv discussion, was in the context of an app-less iso, if I remember correctly and not on a/ydrv itself.
whatever it was on, if you see a bad idea is being worked on, it would be appreciated if u'd voice the issues with it, 'before' it's finished....instead of 'afterwards'.

Scooby

#100 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote:
only thing i could suggest Scooby, which isn't much help, is...if it works in a traditional puppy, trying to probe that system to find what's making it 'tick'. and then trying to fit those pieces into archpup to see if it works.

is the two finger scrolling a feature on 'newer' laptops? it's not a feature that i use, so i'm not sure if any of my machines are even able to do it.
First off, thanks for feedback

Two finger scrolling and mouse geastures is a question of driver and I got
a new machine - 1 year old anyway.

I tried Carolina puppy linux - vertical two finger scroll does work out of the
box. They dont have the same setup with xorg.conf.d though.

I will try copying it to archpuppy and adjust it.

One question in carolina they have a in xorg.conf

Section "Module"

Load "synaptics"

EndSection
how is this opposed to loading drivers from MODULESCONFIG

simargl

#101 Post by simargl »

I've made quick test of what will happen if there are two files that that fit adrv name: 'adrv-*_132.sfs'. So I renamed
libreoffice.sfs to adrv-libreoffice.sfs_132.sfs, rebooted and.... only adrv-openbox_132.sfs was loaded. For next attempt
I used adrv-xlibreoffice.sfs_132.sfs, and in that case got environment variable was not set. So, init
script loads sfs file which beginning letter comes after in alfabet :o , oposite of what I expected - but it's still OK.

stifiling

#102 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:I tried Carolina puppy linux - vertical two finger scroll does work out of the
box.
Scooby,

maybe you could try this massive procedure of changing to the carolina kernel, and see if you have more luck with it.

Scooby

#103 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote:
Scooby wrote:I tried Carolina puppy linux - vertical two finger scroll does work out of the
box.
Scooby,

maybe you could try this massive procedure of changing to the carolina kernel, and see if you have more luck with it.

I removed everything from xorg.conf.d except 20-intel.conf
Then I replaced my xorg.conf with the one from Carolina
Woe and behold, mouse-gestures work! :D

Hope I didnt brake anything in the process.

also added syndaemon to .xinitrc which disables touchpad during typing.

I run a modified synaptics driver, I dunnow if it is needed but I use
xf86-input-synaptics-mtpatch from AUR

Thank god I didnt have to change kernels, puh!

Thanks for pointing me in right direction stifling.

I feel there is a little unresponsiveness after tap. anyone know good configuration
for touchpad, taptime etc?

Scooby

#104 Post by Scooby »

although I got touchpad to work - It is not satisfying when you dont understand why.

Is there xorg.conf for dummies? I dont mean the one on arch wiki but that explains
it a little better than listing possible options?

Maybe someone here can say a few words about it or can recommend some link?

Sage

#105 Post by Sage »

Oh no! FlashPlayer/iPlayer issues again?!

The default FP on offer doesn't seem to work with the default Firefox? [But there is also a problem with a simple restartX command in ArchPup]. We've run into this with just about every other Pup, so it needs one of the GB gurus like TerryP to advise on the best (only?!) FP version that matches e.g. FF version in the repo. Blame Adobe, but it doesn't help.

Again, as with other early Pup developments, strongly recommend a default browser, even if it's Dillo, so that we can gain immediate access to the InterWeb. It would also help to have a (non-CLI) one-button menu item to get the default packages installed if it is the intention not to have these in the base .iso. Please stick BBCRadio4 or WorldService in the default radio list - almost sine qua non; can live with most radio streams, certainly without mid-European mathematical apologies for 'music' , but world+dog needs one authoritative speech channel, surely?! Radio Moscow or Al-Jezeera also operate acceptable news channels in the b*st*rd language that most of the world manages with.

{PS. Personally don't care for the .sfs approach - too cumbersome, all-embracing and pre-determined, apart from which these lean-mean versions are best suited to mobile liveCD without predetermined machine options already containing savefiles.}

It'll be an interesting struggle to keep this one down to 78Mb as the suggestions/demands for defaults roll in.

darkcity

#106 Post by darkcity »

The idea with sticking to SFS and Pacman is to keep package management consistent. Hopefully a pacman GUI will be included in the non-super-tinkerer edition.

I think the way to go is make Puppy programs work on standard Arch, then they will work on Puppy, ArchPup and Arch Linux. This has already been done with PBurn - though I haven't tested myself.

Sage

#107 Post by Sage »

Pacman GUI would be overkill? As indicated, it is entirely a personal factor of the way I prefer to work that I don't use the .sfs system, chacun a son gout.
As for 'mak(ing) Puppy programs work on standard Arch' surely somewhat pretentious?! Arch is, as its name suggests, arcane and archaic, the sort of distro designed to deter incomers, but entirely fine for those skilled in the art. Definitely not in the Puppy tradition of simplicity and intuitiveness. It will always be a minority sport, but none the worse for that. Might be better if those that are able, to contribute to ARM projects, notably RPi at present, which is clearly in the mind of BK. Pacman is not adopted by any of the major developers so is not a logical choice.

Scooby

#108 Post by Scooby »

anyone know a good battery monitor for archpup?

tried batterymon-clone but I get division by zero error

Batti com plains about no socket in run/dbus/system-bus-socket

stifiling

#109 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:Batti com plains about no socket in run/dbus/system-bus-socket
what if you do:

mkdir /run/dbus
dbus-daemon --system
does batti run?

mavrothal

Re: ArchPup - First Puppy with pacman for installing apps

#110 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: Here I will add my To-do list, changes compared to stable version and other future plans related to ArchPup development:

21 Jan

<snip>

- make two iso images:
  • -one with only window manager, text editor and file manager --> small number of gui applications, and all inside adrv.sfs
    -second with archapps added to adrv.sfs. Down-side is that all development files from archapps must be in adrv.sfs
Is this the current thinking or leftover from previous versions of the first post?