Have a 64bit PC? Beware of FATDOG6+! -- Its addictive

Booting, installing, newbie
jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

8-bit wrote:... Seamonkey giving me an error of not being able to use a bookmark backup file from a bookmark backup made with another version of Puppy.
Seamonkey in Fatdog runs as spot, which has very limited access to folders and files (on purpose). Put your bookmark backup file into the Downloads folder, and import it from there.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Does Fatdog also run Firefox in Spot mode? (In the FF version, I mean...) I hope not -- last I heard Spot was a little mental... ;)

Besides, I don't trust Spot, he works for Target!

(OT: Why do I suddenly have the urge to refer to you as "Meester Bond"?? LOL!)

mini-jaguar

#18 Post by mini-jaguar »

Yes, FatDog64 is awesome, but you have to be aware that it works a little differently than other Puppies in regards to certain things, for example save files. I think it doesn't even use the regular swap partition, there's a certain tool in there to make a special type of swap partition directly on your regular partition.

I was actually having problems with 6.1.0 and 6.1.1, went back to 6.0.1. It's still one of the most advanced Puppies.

Also, makes no difference if a computer came with a 32-bit version of Windows. They've been shipping 64-bit computers with 32-bit Windows for many, many years.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

For what it might be worth, Fatdog64-611 supports USB 3 right out of the box. This includes a US Robotics 2-port USB 3 PCI Express expansion card.

gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

mini-jaguar wrote: .. I think it doesn't even use the regular swap partition, there's a certain tool in there ...
SWAP is swapfs. FATDOG still uses it. BUT, FATDOG, due to its difference from other PUPs, does NOT start off using your SWAP like other PUPs do.

In order for any user to have his system run with SWAP architecture enabled, its a users responsibility to recognize, understand and make this change.

That's why the readings which are now starting to surface become so very important.

Reference to the paradigm shift is true, but, for those new to FATDOG, without documentation, frustration results in trying to figure which way the paradigm shifted.

Still, it really is a remarkable achievement.
Here to help

ally

#21 Post by ally »

hey all

I have moved to fatdog 64 (611 firefox) from slacko 5.3.3 and am having a couple of difficulties

I have tried the instruction (from 'how to do stuff in fatdog) for running firefox as root, I am trying to avoid the download to spot but it doesn't seem to make any changes?

secondly I am trying to run ip-up script to use the open dns service at start-up, I have created a link to the ip-up in etc/ppp oin the startup folder but it doesn't start up! runs ok if I manually click and run though

I have also tried to open (fatdog) pets that I have downloaded from the forum but get the 'can't run unless root' (or something similar) even though I am 'root', again, what am I doing wrong

I'm stumped also with trying to get firefox to accept my bookmarks, I have placed the .html file in 'downloads' as the guide says and opened firefox, tried to import the file but nothing

thanks in advance - really liking fatdog, have been a determined user of puppy for a few years now but my linux knowledge is lacking and it's letting me down

:)

smokey01

#22 Post by smokey01 »

ally wrote:hey all

I have moved to fatdog 64 (611 firefox) from slacko 5.3.3 and am having a couple of difficulties

I have tried the instruction (from 'how to do stuff in fatdog) for running firefox as root, I am trying to avoid the download to spot but it doesn't seem to make any changes?
ally, if you have a look in /usr/bin you should see a link to firefox and a script firefox-spot. If you click on the link to firefox it should open firefox without the spot restrictions. This should fix your problem.

To make this a permanent fix open /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser with geany and change firefox-spot "$@" to firefox "$@" and save it.

Cheers

ally

#23 Post by ally »

thanks smokey.............

mini-jaguar

#24 Post by mini-jaguar »

gcmartin wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote: .. I think it doesn't even use the regular swap partition, there's a certain tool in there ...
SWAP is swapfs. FATDOG still uses it. BUT, FATDOG, due to its difference from other PUPs, does NOT start off using your SWAP like other PUPs do.

In order for any user to have his system run with SWAP architecture enabled, its a users responsibility to recognize, understand and make this change.

That's why the readings which are now starting to surface become so very important.

Reference to the paradigm shift is true, but, for those new to FATDOG, without documentation, frustration results in trying to figure which way the paradigm shifted.

Still, it really is a remarkable achievement.
Here to help
You do realise that there is a tool for making a swap file in the regular partition, size and all, right?