How to install OpenOffice? Solved

Business software, financial software, etc.
J_D_

How to install OpenOffice? Solved

#1 Post by J_D_ »

I found open office here. I have a frugal install of Puppy 5.60 on an old Dell Optiplex that originally ran XP. The HD was formatted ntfs. Never used the console and unsure of what to do or if its actually doable. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by J_D_ on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

chapchap70

#2 Post by chapchap70 »

That link seems to point to LucidPuppy. What Puppy are you running? I don't think 5.60 is Lucid because as far as I know, that goes to 5.2.8.6.

Look around in your menu items to see if you have a SFS manager and see if there is an OpenOffice SFS there for download.

Puppus Dogfellow

#3 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

just click it and find out if loads/works. clicking it again will unload it.
the graphical interface for loading and unloading files can accessed through menu>setup>sfs load on the fly. icon for that program is also in usr/share/applications.

pretty sure nearly every word processing program here will work on your system.

J_D_

#4 Post by J_D_ »

Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I will try in the A.M. So, I can just click a link and download and install ?? I really thought I had to open the console and type in a su command, download and name files and learn a lot of new things.
Im an old guy and Ive had to learn Windows on my own and when I started using Linux I have only done what was needed and thats been very little. [/b]

Puppus Dogfellow

#5 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

J_D_ wrote:Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I will try in the A.M. So, I can just click a link and download and install ?? I really thought I had to open the console and type in a su command, download and name files and learn a lot of new things.
Im an old guy and Ive had to learn Windows on my own and when I started using Linux I have only done what was needed and thats been very little. [/b]
yes.

Moose On The Loose

OpenOffice

#6 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I think LibreOffice is a little better. It is a fork from OpenOffice and seems to work a bit better.

For spreadsheets I often use gnumeric which is what comes in most versions of Puppy as a default spreadsheet. Depending on the installer you use for open office, the default may be changed to the open office one. If that is done, the "calc" icon runs it and not gnumeric.

If you want gnumeric back:

Click "file" icon
Click "up" arrow in upper left
Click "usr" then "bin" folders
Look for "gnumeric"
Click and drag to desktop to have it make an icon
Sit back and smile

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

Thanks for the replies. With the holiday, it may be a couple days before I get to this. I forgot about Libre office. I have it on a laptop running Mint 17. Will definitely give it a try.

J_D_

#8 Post by J_D_ »

Just wanted to update this and say thanks.
Did something a bit different. Did a full install of Puppy 6.0 Tahrpup and installed Libreoffice on that. Fast and easy.