BareBones Puppies & BABYies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sindi

DebDog mplayer2 works with Lupu 5.1.1 in smtube

#121 Post by sindi »

Mplayer2 DebDog (9MB) works with smtube in Lupu 5.1.1. I had to set up sound with
alsaconfig - I think lupu 5.2.8.6 is more automated. es1968 works (did not with wary).

360p video uses 12% of memory, 46-58% of cpu for mplayer, and 49% of memory for smtube.
I can exit smtube and mplayer continues. This setup should work with any PIII (450MHz
to 1.4GHz).

The first laptop I set up for the kids was 266MHz with 192MB RAM. 240p worked better.

Sage

#122 Post by Sage »

Whilst BK is investigating RPi-3 (BK news), maybe some of the clever guys in this thread could investigate porting bare- & baby- distros to the RPi-Zero which is now slowly becoming available? At £4/$5/A$8 could be cheap and fast, especially as earlier Puppies run happily on old kit; the Zero has 500Mb on 1Ghz which should be overkill?

greengeek

#123 Post by greengeek »

Sage wrote:At £4/$5/A$8 could be cheap and fast, especially as earlier Puppies run happily on old kit; the Zero has 500Mb on 1Ghz which should be overkill?
But what do you get for the price? Is it useable? I read an article here which suggests its actually quite expensive to do anything real with it.

learnhow2code

#124 Post by learnhow2code »

greengeek wrote:its actually quite expensive to do anything real with it.
articles like that are frustrating, from authors who dont understand the point of the thing theyre reviewing (probably the most common kind of review there is.)
The $5 computer, after buying essential accessories, is almost the same price as the Raspberry Pi 2.
well, yeah! in fact im surprised the author could even get a zero up to the kind of stuff that the pi 2 could do for the same price!

believe it or not, not everyone needs an ethernet port. not everyone needs a usb hub. the point of the zero probably isnt to be hooked up to an hdmi display either-- but look at all the options its got!

where you save is if youre making a thing that doesnt need all those hookups (in other words, youre using it as a device-- not a miniature pc) and you want to have several of them. and yet you can make it into a miniature pc long enough to set it up, which is pretty cool.

for a class, for gadgets that may not need a display--

the pi is too expensive (and large) for multiple applications that dont need those. the zero is not meant to be a cheap pi (the pi is probably not going to get a lot cheaper for a while.) its meant to be a zero, which is a different thing.

a guy reviews it disappointed that a different thing is different? sounds like he did the wrong kind of research. nonetheless, he has done an outstanding job of showing how to make a zero into a pi at a similar price, even if hes right that its a fairly pointless way to use it.

was this guy around when the pi came out? did he write an article about how it didnt come with a keyboard and mouse?

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

What's the world coming to?! Some folks have been conned into Wintel spiral of more HW for more SW, notably more £££$$$A$NZ$. The Zero is much cheaper, does a lot more than the BBC BIT, but both are aimed at hobbyists, coders, kids learning tools - and can do everything a PC can do (slowly - time to enjoy a cup of tea). Personally, I'm ankle-deep in cast-off PSU s left behind by spoilt brats being pushed by greedy ISP s and the mobile brigade. So that's a free PSU from your local skip/dumpster. How many cast off USB hubs do you need? I'll send you one. Connectors? Well, you've got the GPIO s as well as tags on the Zero, so cannibalise some push-on connectors, cut a few conventional leads and get out your soldering iron. [Oh yes, I've met a few who didn't know which end to hold, in hospital burns ward - serve them right - ignorance should have no place in our society. Perhaps you voted for the wrong politicians?!]
And finally, if I recall, the original Raspian included a version of Puppy. BK obviously had some input back then, done the hard graft, just needs the clever coders to take up the cause.
Alternatively, how about a nice little weather station...

learnhow2code

#126 Post by learnhow2code »

Sage wrote:
+1 and nice that youre still here. originally i was surprised that you said something was better than the bbc bit, until i realized that both items were from the uk. :)

Pete

#127 Post by Pete »

My 2c:

Both the Zero and the Pi2 or 3 have their advantages and disadvantages.
The person who wrote the article about the Zero being too expensive is missing the whole point of the zero.

He is looking at the Zero almost as a "kit" to build up into a normal Pi2 or 3,
but what he is not getting is that it's not really meant for that.

It's meant for projects where size/form factor is important and also it may be used in portable applications so current consumption is critical.
That is exactly why those other features were left out, current consumption and size.
The Zero takes around 170mA, where as the Pi2 or 3 around 500 -600mA.
It's also considerably smaller and easier to install into existing equipment.

As Sage wrote, a small weather station that logs data and is battery powered is the perfect application for the Zero where it may have to be run off those batteries for an extended period of time.

Although the prices of the USB cables and so on that the author quoted are correct, they are retail prices and anyone that is going to be tinkering with a Pi, is bound to have some of the "extras" laying about already anyways.

learnhow2code got it spot on:
believe it or not, not everyone needs an ethernet port. not everyone needs a usb hub. the point of the zero probably isnt to be hooked up to an hdmi display either-- but look at all the options its got!
In short, use the Zero as it was meant to be used, not try and convert it into something that it's not.

learnhow2code

#128 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete wrote:In short, use the Zero as it was meant to be used, not try and convert it into something that it's not.
or you know, do whatever you want! but dont be scandalized that its not ideal for what it was never designed for, just because you want to make it into something else :) (comment directed to the articles author, not the articles readers.)

Sage

#129 Post by Sage »

Indeed! So let's see if jrb and the gang take the bait.

Sage

#130 Post by Sage »

For the record, I still have my Berryboot SD with Puppy4alpha 24723; 123.9Mb. Working well on a B+.
Dates from ~2012. Maybe folks can dig out BK's work on this at that time?

Robert123

#131 Post by Robert123 »

With some Barebones remasters that I have noticed resizefile.sh is missing so I have attached here with .gz just rename after download and place in /usr/sbin
Attachments
resizepfile.sh.gz
(4.47 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

rufwoof

#132 Post by rufwoof »

124MB filesystem sfs size DebianDog64 Jessie barebone http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 783#918783. Boots to desktop and net connected, no browser, enough to get you to a stage to (in a terminal) ...

apt-get update
apt-get install ..... whatever

apt-get install firefox-esr for instance. Or anything else out of the extensive Debian repositories. Synaptic (gui version of package manager) is probably easier for most as you can search the repositories.

tuxtoo

#133 Post by tuxtoo »

@jrb

May have arrived a bit late here, :oops:   but I have a Wary/Racy project on the go at the moment and was wondering if you have a list of the packages you have removed from Wary/Racy Barebones? 

I know I could dig through and find out what has been removed myself, however its much easier if someone has a list that I can refer to.  :D  
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

jrb

#134 Post by jrb »

tuxtoo wrote:@jrb

May have arrived a bit late here, :oops:   but I have a Wary/Racy project on the go at the moment and was wondering if you have a list of the packages you have removed from Wary/Racy Barebones? 

I know I could dig through and find out what has been removed myself, however its much easier if someone has a list that I can refer to.  :D  
Wow, stepping into the past. :D I'd pretty much forgotten about these, surprised that I still had them on a removable backup harddrive. Here are the packages-removed lists. I see that Wary BabyBB and Wary BB have the same lists, something wrong there but it will have to do. :roll:
Attachments
Packages_removed-barebones.tar.gz
(896 Bytes) Downloaded 137 times

tuxtoo

Thanks

#135 Post by tuxtoo »

Many thanks jrb, you're a star :D All will be revealed in due course!
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

salgak

Is there a cut-down version of 8.0, preferably Ubuntu/ UEFI?

#136 Post by salgak »

. . . or do I do it the hard way ?? (grin)

jrb

Re: Is there a cut-down version of 8.0, preferably Ubuntu/ UEFI?

#137 Post by jrb »

salgak wrote:. . . or do I do it the hard way ?? (grin)
Bionic32-light - 27 April, 2019

zagreb999

tazpuppy as mini iso

#138 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

my suggestion is to use
tazpuppy as base to create
minimal iso...

sfs file is only 57 mb...

jrb

Re: tazpuppy as mini iso

#139 Post by jrb »

zagreb999 wrote:regards

my suggestion is to use
tazpuppy as base to create
minimal iso...

sfs file is only 57 mb...
Will tazpuppy run the latest Palemoon or Vivaldi?

zagreb999

#140 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

of course...
also firefox 71