BareBones Puppies & BABYies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#91 Post by greengeek »

jrb wrote:Starhawk and Greengeek, Xvesa works on most but not all hardware, but the resolution choices may be limited. I chose 640x480x16 for the initial resolution at boot because I think thats probably the most universal. Try the original wary-5.3-BABYbarebonesXvesa.iso and see if it will work.
Thanks - same problem for me with the original too. Might be my nVidia graphics. Will try it on any other older hardware i come across.

ETP

#92 Post by ETP »

@ Puppus Dogfellow & greengeek,

You may wish to try my f2fs version of 666philb's Unicorn-6.0 building block pupplet.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 817#816817

It is something I keep returning to as it is quick,versatile & very stable.
No problem with Nvidia.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

starhawk

#93 Post by starhawk »

@jrb -- works fine :) a pity about the 640x480 initial res, though -- good heavens that stuff makes the icons big! Base VGA resolution there is really only suited to something like Windows 3.x that's expecting it.

rufwoof

#94 Post by rufwoof »

jrb wrote:
rufwoof wrote: I just took the Wary 5.3 Barebone XVesa only ISO and added dbus and my own remaster script to that..
Excellent idea rufwoof. I downloaded your version and tried it. Its works well with the latest version of Seamonkey.

I notice that you created it by remastering. This is fine for your own use but it picked up the video and ethernet settings for your PC and overwrote the more general initial settings. I suggest you untar the debus .pets and your remaster script, possibly with UExtract, and then add them manually to the original puppy_wary_5.3.sfs using edit-sfs.
Done : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing 61MB ISO of the original barebone wary 5.3, but with dbus PET's extracted and a get_latest_firefox added to the /root directory that downloads/starts the latest firefox. Repacked into a ISO with just the puppy sfs replaced

Loaded up firefox 42.0 OK browsing to sneekylinux's video and that played ok (presumably via firefox HTML5), sfs loaded my local copy of libre office, and master pdf editor which also fired up/ran ok. Had to search for/install pet's for screeny and xwd to enable a screen capture to be made.
Attachments
sc.jpg
(76.09 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Last edited by rufwoof on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.

keniv

#95 Post by keniv »

Hi darry 1966
Your update links no longer work. Is it possible to get them working again?

Regards,

Ken.

greengeek

#96 Post by greengeek »

rufwoof wrote:Had to search for/install pet's for screeny and xwd to enable a screen capture to be made.
Do you have mtPaint in there as a default? That has the ability to take a screenshot without adding any other pets. Also I feel SFR's "Take a Shot" (TAS) is worthy of consideration. It is the best screenshotter I have found. (don't know about dependencies though)

rufwoof

#97 Post by rufwoof »

greengeek wrote:
rufwoof wrote:Had to search for/install pet's for screeny and xwd to enable a screen capture to be made.
Do you have mtPaint in there as a default? That has the ability to take a screenshot without adding any other pets. Also I feel SFR's "Take a Shot" (TAS) is worthy of consideration. It is the best screenshotter I have found. (don't know about dependencies though)
Wary 5.3 barebones is ... pretty bare. No mtpaint. I've loaded quite a few different sfs's however (skype etc.) and it runs surprisingly well.

Not much use generally however other than to play with. My thoughts were to utilise it as a PXE boot option i.e. 60MB to net boot to desktop, net connect and then wget from the cloud at http speeds rather than gPXE (slow) speeds.

If I boot barebone Wary 5.3 and from the desktop sfs load puppy wary 5.5 sfs, then I in effect have all the apps in wary 5.5 available (abiword, mplayer, gnumeric .... etc). Does hit the problem of running the startup of wary 5.5 but a modified w5.5 puppy.sfs would resolve that.

Dowloading firefox 50MB or 130MB Wary 5.5 puppy sfs on my network connection takes seconds. To gPXE boot 200MB would take ages.
Last edited by rufwoof on Thu 05 Nov 2015, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#98 Post by darry1966 »

keniv wrote:Hi darry 1966
Your update links no longer work. Is it possible to get them working again?

Regards,

Ken.
431max here:
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux ... 31_upgrade

Other page deleted by source forge.

keniv

#99 Post by keniv »

Hi darry 1966,
Thanks for that.

Regards,

Keen.

rufwoof

#100 Post by rufwoof »

The attached image is Wary Barebone 5.3 (XVesa only) with a Slacko puppy sfs just finished being sfs-loaded on top of that. You might be able to see from the tray that its run another network ... etc i.e. the slacko startup process. The slacko programs - such as mtpaint are then available.

Haven't tried it (posting from that Wary barebone now) but I guess you could exit to prompt and run xorgwizard and change from Xvesa to a more 'normal' choice ...etc.

Given that wary barebone is small so boots quickly (good for PXE booting), provides a network connection that can then be used to download firefox and then that firefox could be used to download another puppy sfs (relatively quickly) and sfs_load that puppy sfs to in effect be running that choice of puppy - that would be a lot quicker than PXE booting that target puppy alone.

Barebone underdog pup - with your own choice of topdog pup to layer on top of that underdog.
Attachments
ss.jpg
(92.83 KiB) Downloaded 700 times

rufwoof

#101 Post by rufwoof »

Booted wary 5.3 xvesa only barebone, sfs loaded wary 5.5 puppy and exited to prompt, ran xorgwizard and set nv (nvidia) ok, xwin'd back to desktop. BUT I think both xvesa and nv are running as the scrolling of firefox is slow/jerky. Exiting back out and running xorgwizard to set xvesa again and scrolling is more normal.

I tried loading tahr 6.04 on top of wary 5.3 barebone, but it complains about GLib's missing. Dawned on me that I probably needed to load the zdrv sfs first, but wary 5.3 sfs load doesn't like (load) that. Perhaps if tahr's zdrv content was mksquashfs'd with wary 5.3 ???
Attachments
v.jpg
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
ss.jpg
(78.56 KiB) Downloaded 714 times

musher0

#102 Post by musher0 »

Hi, rufwoof.

You wrote:
> Dawned on me that I probably needed to load the zdrv sfs
first, but wary 5.3 sfs load doesn't like (load) that.
I believe there's an option to force (re)creation of a zdrv.sfs for any
Puppy in its remaster utility. That would make your two Puppies level,
I guess.

A comment if I may: it occurred to me that wanting to load a TahrPup-6
on top of a Puppy-5.3 is a bit weird, but hey, "to each his own"! :) You
want to do this because... :)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rufwoof

#103 Post by rufwoof »

musher0 wrote: A comment if I may: it occurred to me that wanting to load a TahrPup-6
on top of a Puppy-5.3 is a bit weird, but hey, "to each his own"! :) You
want to do this because... :)
... nowt better to do other than develop experiences of what can and can't be done :)

oui

#104 Post by oui »

rufwoof wrote:Done : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing 61MB ISO of the original barebone wary 5.3, but with dbus PET's extracted and a get_latest_firefox added to the /root directory that downloads/starts the latest firefox. Repacked into a ISO with just the puppy sfs replaced
this barbone is very interesting because it is so tiny (and find place also in very small fat partitions like boot partitions in EFI / UEFI systems and includes gparted (the question is of old gparted versions can do the same and if it is secure as new ones...)

if it would also include testdisk and photorec, it would be a Swiss knife to recover HD :wink:

sorry, the vesa driver is not very good any more: the choices of given resolutions are not the best. it can not be the base to be used often...

rufwoof

#105 Post by rufwoof »

oui wrote:
rufwoof wrote:Done : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing 61MB ISO of the original barebone wary 5.3, but with dbus PET's extracted and a get_latest_firefox added to the /root directory that downloads/starts the latest firefox. Repacked into a ISO with just the puppy sfs replaced
this barbone is very interesting because it is so tiny (and find place also in very small fat partitions like boot partitions in EFI / UEFI systems and includes gparted (the question is of old gparted versions can do the same and if it is secure as new ones...)

if it would also include testdisk and photorec, it would be a Swiss knife to recover HD :wink:

sorry, the vesa driver is not very good any more: the choices of given resolutions are not the best. it can not be the base to be used often...
I've started a separate thread for this one http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 222#871222

I guess with something like a Raspberry Pi plugged into a network with a small puppy running together with a PXE server and appropriate vmlinuz and initrd.gz (barebone puppy) image ... then any other PC on that same LAN that had net boot capabilitity (most network cards support net booting, whether its activated in the PC's boot device/method sequence is another thing) could boot a small barebone type puppy relatively quickly ... that then downloaded and overlaid another fuller puppy on top of that.

The topdog puppy that was to be overlaid could be selected as per requirements .... to fix a PC, do a presentation, ...etc.

Come to that with a underdog puppy (barebone), others could publicise try this topdog (overlaid) puppy from http://xxx.yyy or wherever. Just a simple pointer (to file location anywhere in the world) update.

Much quicker than PXE booting a large image (assuming fast internet access was available).

Puppus Dogfellow

#106 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

ETP wrote:@ Puppus Dogfellow & greengeek,

You may wish to try my f2fs version of 666philb's Unicorn-6.0 building block pupplet.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 817#816817

It is something I keep returning to as it is quick,versatile & very stable.
No problem with Nvidia.

thanks for the rec, ETP. i just recently mirrored the original. does yours have the PPM fix? how can you change the size of the f2fs partition that gets created (or do you need to make an image file first)?

----
[...]

i downloaded the initrd and vmlinuz, placed them in a folder on sda3, ran grub4dos, got the following entry in menu.lst:

title war3ry66 (sda3/wary66)
uuid f8f444ac-98cb-46a2-8f2b-64d2b0ab03a2
kernel /wary66/vmlinuz psubdir=wary66 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /wary66/initrd

, which looks good to me. it also gave me the idea to manually redo the frugals on one of my machines--i moved around the folders, unpacked some isos so that the folders looked like any other bootable pup's, reran grub4dos--everything looks like it'd work but i haven't yet rebooted. can anyone think of a reason the preceding would fail (savefolder/savefile issues on existing installations aside) or anything i should change before i attempt to boot one of them? i left one installation intact so i'm pretty sure (possibly faulty jwm compile aside) i'll be able to boot from something off that drive regardless.

[...]

for anyone interested, the installations work that way. you could just copy the format from the menu lst, make a folder with the initrd.gz, the main puppy.sfs, the vmlinuz, and the zdrv, if any (decompress an iso to get htese files), copy the uuid from the blkid readout (just enter blkid in to a terminal window--not necessary if there are working installations on the partitions represented in the menu list--just copy over since the id numbers for the partitions don't change), and the pups you've set up in this way should boot. at least precise and unicorn did, and i don't see why the other puppies (quirkies are likely another story) wouldn't also work. anyway, you could place frugals on any partition with this method. it's pretty quick, too, especially with find and replace, geany, and a few working templates (i.e. a menu list that's worked in the past--again, why recopy the drive data if it's already there. just rename a folder and the paths the entry contains. however, if you've destroyed the menu list, that blkid command comes in pretty handy. i've personally decided to keep a spare menu list in my dropbox folder as a precaution...).

does anyone know how many different ways you can write a menu list and still have it work? what's the boot up process looking for as far as how the list(s) get formatted? how many ways of identifying a text document as a menu list are acceptable? i copied the format that i believe grub4dos generates--it was run many times on all the machines and i believe is a prerequisite for any of this working (i basically said yes, fine, that sounds good to all the pop ups).

unicorn was nice and quick, but i'd like double monitor support out of the box and neither zarfy nor lxrandr seemed to be able to get both monitors to work at the same time...(i eventually got double monitors working in unicorn--zarfy's virtual monitors are a bit--itty bitty, but the gui's manageable enough.

anyway, it does look very promising.

and installations just got a bit easier. for me, anyway.

(hopefully someone else can use it/attest to the fact it works (though i don't think my new installations imaginary)).
edit: seems like a fairly established practice--i'm pretty sure it's just what known around here as a manual frugal.

sindi

Cannot download from google docs with Seamonkey or Opera

#107 Post by sindi »

I want to try a barebones wary on a 500MHz laptop with 6GB hard drive but could not download
from Google Docs with Puppy 4.3.1 Seamonkey 1.1.18, so I installed Opera 12.16 (requires
glibc 2.8 or later) which got me to the download page but the link won't work. Firefox 17 works
(it comes with Arcade Puppy 11).

Google is not the ideal storage site.

I am using MN-510 prism2 USB wifi card because the pcmcia slot is dead. Wary has the driver.
The laptop was supposed to be for game emulation but may be too slow. A neighbor kid wants
it for email. I have made smtube work with wary and lupu by adding libraries and cacert.pem.
Works at 360p with lupu 5.2.8 on here.

sindi

Wary BABY barebones Xvesa works on 500MHz 2001 Compal 256MB

#108 Post by sindi »

Works perfectly except that it crashed when I plugged in a PCMCIA card after booting. At the moment pcmcia is working, with Orinoco Gold card. The MN-510 prism2_usb card that works in full Wary 5.5 and in 4.3.1 is not even seen by barebones - how might I add support for it?

Opera is working portably with no added or updated libraries.

Sound is not working, but it also did not work on here with full Wary 5.5.
It worked with 4.3.1, Lupu 5.2.8.6, and Win2K. lsmod lists a lot of snd modules including ac97. Maybe fixable?

Memory use (subtracting cache and opera at 52%) is about 30MB of the 256MB total.

sindi

Barebones Lupu 5.01 crashes and no ssh, LegacyOS 4 no load

#109 Post by sindi »

I tried Legacy OS 4 mini - kernel panic.
475MB

Legacy OS 2.1 LTS is even larger and I could not mount it loop.

Lupu 5.01 barebones is lacking ssh, and it crashes/freezes if I try to switch to terminal mode - a very odd fadeout effect with dim squares over X.
Repeatable.

Unless I get Wary sound working, that leaves Lupu (5.2.8.6) for working sound and also USB wifi.

Lupu detects this as Maestro 2E ES1978 and sets it up as ES1968.
Wary does not detect it at all.

Puppy 4.3.1 works but not smtube (at least I don't have it working). gtk youtube viewer was broken by Youtube.

Arcade Linux 11 also works. Xvesa works.

Pelo

Try newer but light Puppies

#110 Post by Pelo »

Try newer but light Puppies as Dpup exprimo, Thin Slacko 5.3.3, Or Saluki 013
These ones run on my old laptop born 2004 512M Ram, wireless and audio