Getting 3G modem running on Raspberry Puppy? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Sleepsinlate

Getting 3G modem running on Raspberry Puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by Sleepsinlate »

Hey there

I got Squeezed Arm puppy running on my Model B Raspberry Pi! It's a ripper of an interface but I need internet access to make it sing

I got a ZyXEL NWD2105 wireless adaptor-USB ID: 0586:341e, RT3070 chipset, rt2800usb driver (B) etc as recommended by the eLinux Raspberry peripherals page. Got it up and running on Wheezy and got online.

But I vastly prefer Puppy :)

When I ran lsmod in Xterminal in Puppy, I got the output below. Sorry it's in jpg format, I had to do a couple of screen dumps, transfer them to my laptop manually and stitch them together. I'm still finding my way round the Pi interface w/o internet

Is there something else I should be trying?
Attachments
wirelesspuppy.jpg
terminal response to lsmod
(143.6 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Last edited by Sleepsinlate on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 12:08, edited 3 times in total.

Sleepsinlate

#2 Post by Sleepsinlate »

Here's a copy of the attachment on photobucket

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

The module is loaded and the wireless connections is seen - so in theory your good to go. Have you used the following command?

ifconfig wlan0 up

you may need to create a profile for WPA?

How have you tested the connection?

---

BTW - I found this guide by tempestuous very helpful-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Sleepsinlate

#4 Post by Sleepsinlate »

Hey darkcity, many thanks for your help

The module is loaded and the wireless connections is seen - so in theory your good to go. Have you used the following command?

ifconfig wlan0 up

Yes I have. Nothing happened or changed :(

you may need to create a profile for WPA?

Already done, but didn't help either

How have you tested the connection?

Opened up Chromium and it couldn't connect. I know this probably doesn't count as a proper test, but it was a start

BTW - I found this guide by tempestuous very helpful-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Thanks, I did see that, but after one page my head assploded. There are eleven pages on that thread. We're talking complete beginner here, I just learned how to copy and paste from rxvt terminal into Leafpad :)

I'll keep trying using the link you posted, thanks again!

Sleepsinlate

#5 Post by Sleepsinlate »

For example, from the link above:

PART 2: WPA encryption.

For WPA encryption the "iwconfig" utility cannot be used at all. Instead, the "wpa_supplicant" utility is needed, and this is the utility which is used by Puppy's Network Wizard to configure WPA connections.

Exception:
Ralink drivers in Puppy versions older than ver 4.1 can be set up for WPA encryption with unique "iwpriv" commands. See

How on earth do I find out which version of the rt2800usb driver I'm using?

Sleepsinlate

#6 Post by Sleepsinlate »

Is anyone able to help with this? I'm at a bit of a loss still

My 3G connection is wireless, not a USB dongle. The thread mentioned previously is lengthy, much of the content dates back several years and seems to be concerned with versions of Puppy I don't use- I'm on Squeezed Arm Puppy. Hence my confusion

Until I can get my Pi connected it'll remain a pretty useless gadget for me

Is there some question or protocol I should be attending to?

darkcity

#7 Post by darkcity »

My 3G connection is wireless, not a USB dongle
Okay this may be where the problem lies. I've never used a 3G connection. But looking at another thread, looks like you need to select

'Internet Connection Wizard' then 'Internet dialup, analog or wireless modem'

Don't know if you already tried this?

Sleepsinlate

#8 Post by Sleepsinlate »

darkcity wrote:
'Internet Connection Wizard' then 'Internet dialup, analog or wireless modem'

Don't know if you already tried this?
Thanks, yes I have ( sorry I disappeared on the topic for a while, I was trying to wrangle some ADSL for here instead but the exchange isn't being updated after all )

Which bits of the results of the Connection Wizard etc are pertinent to my question? Is there something I can copy or cut and paste which will allow me to rectify the problem
?

Sleepsinlate

#9 Post by Sleepsinlate »

Not sure if this is OK, the images aren't large but there are a few of them

What on earth am I doing wrong? I've no idea. The various wizards keep telling me I've successfully configured at different times, but there isn't any connectivity

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Sleepsinlate wrote:... I just learned how to copy and paste from rxvt terminal into Leafpad ...
You can copy from the rxvt terminal and paste it into your posts in this forum too. You don't have to spend all that time making screenshots. :)

Sorry, but I can't help you with your problem. :(

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Sleepsinlate wrote:My 3G connection is wireless, not a USB dongle.
Can you clarify this please? As far as I can tell the ZyXEL NWD2105 wireless adaptor is not anything to do with 3g - it's just a wireless adapter that needs to connect to your router. Is that correct?

If so, which form of encryption are you using in your router and what model is it please?

Sleepsinlate

#12 Post by Sleepsinlate »

greengeek wrote:
Sleepsinlate wrote:My 3G connection is wireless, not a USB dongle.
Can you clarify this please? As far as I can tell the ZyXEL NWD2105 wireless adaptor is not anything to do with 3g - it's just a wireless adapter that needs to connect to your router. Is that correct?

If so, which form of encryption are you using in your router and what model is it please?
Thanks Greengeek- yes, the wirelss adaptor is just for connecting to modem/router

WPA encryption, and the model is Huawei N14036 ( it's an Optus Mini Wifi at the bottom of the page https://www.optusbusiness.com.au/shop/broadband_tablets I can't seem to find any specs for it )

@ Flash... the Pi and the computer I am using to connect to the net are using the same 3G wireless modem/router unit which does connectivity only. There is no dedicated router here, and connection between the two units, so I'm doing screen grabs and transferring them across manually via USB. Is there a way to save the results as text from rxvt and do this?

I'll be getting a postpaid 3G of another model from another carrier early next week so I'll try that too

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

Do you have a savefile that you can temporarily rename or backup/move so that you could boot into a fresh session? And does squeezed arm give you access to "Dougals" internet connection wizard rather than the sns?

If so, could you turn on the huawei, allow it to stabilise, then boot the pi into a fresh session, run the dougals network wizard, then post the output of "ifconfig"?

If "ifconfig" shows a valid IP on wlano, bring up your browser and try entering the address 4.2.2.2 into the url field and post what happens.

(and also see if you can find out the IP address of the Optus dns servers in case that needs to be input somewhere manually)

Sleepsinlate

#14 Post by Sleepsinlate »

greengeek wrote:Do you have a savefile that you can temporarily rename or backup/move so that you could boot into a fresh session?
Maybe, but I can't find one, sorry. Currently trying to find files from root down with a .sfs file extension- can't see any, and not sure if *.sfs is the right type of savefile for squeezed arm anyhow
And does squeezed arm give you access to "Dougals" internet connection wizard rather than the sns?
Yes it most definitely does- Internet Connection Wizard, Dougal's and the SNS. I've tried them all. Probably not the right way yet, but I've tried :)
If so, could you turn on the huawei, allow it to stabilise, then boot the pi into a fresh session, run the dougals network wizard, then post the output of "ifconfig"?

Thanks greengeek I shall do this once I've managed to work out what the savefile is called and rename it

(and also see if you can find out the IP address of the Optus dns servers in case that needs to be input somewhere manually)
Optus DNS Servers

http://www.optus.com.au

Primary DNS: 211.29.132.12

Secondary DNS: 198.142.0.51

Sleepsinlate

#15 Post by Sleepsinlate »

w00t! Got it sorted, thanks everyone!

Connectivity is here! I still don't know what a squeezed arm puppy savefile looks like but right now I don't care! ( I'll probably care in about ten minutes, but right now I'm being euphoric )

I used my Ludic Ubuntu Network Connections to find out if there were any settings listed there ( Auto DHCP works on Ubuntu for the Huawei modem but I got an IP address )

I took that IP address and whacked it into the Squeezed Arm Puppy Configure network- setup a static IP with the address I got from my Ubuntu laptop, put the Optus Primary and Secondary DNS in- and now it works

Thanks so much!

greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Excellent. Great stuff.

(a savefile has an extension like .2fs or .3fs, and contains your personal variations in filesystem structure and configuration settings from previous sessions. That info can sometimes get screwed up so on occasions it is handy to "hide" the savefile so past mistakes or mis-configurations disappear and allow you a fresh start. The files with .sfs extensions are "system" filesystems which are the basic unchanging structure of Puppy)

As far as I am aware only "frugal" type installations have savefiles so ignore this if your setup is different...

(also, the .sfs files and .2fs files are above /root, not below it. If you have them at all they will be visible in the folder that contains a frugal installation)