5.4.3 Should sr0 appears upon startup? Mine missing

Booting, installing, newbie
alexong2005

5.4.3 Should sr0 appears upon startup? Mine missing

#1 Post by alexong2005 »

Can somebody tell me should sr0 for the CDROM appears upon bootup? If it should then how do I make it appears. Thanks. My email is alexong2005@yahoo.com.sg

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Puppy only shows an icon on the desktop when it "sees" filesystems that it recognizes. If there is no disk in your CD drive when Puppy boots, there's no filesystem to detect and Puppy won't show an icon for the CD drive. For reasons I've never fully understood, Puppy also won't show an icon if there's a regular audio CD in the drive. Apparently the filesystem of an audio CD is so primitive that Puppy takes no notice of it. :lol:

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

My understanding is that audio CDs don't really have a filesystem any more than a cassette tape did. The reason that Windows (for example) will show a *.cda extension is that Windows doesn't really have a way of addressing something that isn't a discrete file fitting into the hierarchy. It's a limitation of how OSes do things. (I don't think Puppy does it differently, but I could be wrong -- an audio CD should still show up with files in it, if I'm right.)

alexong2005

#4 Post by alexong2005 »

sr0 only shows up when there is data on the CD otherwise it isn't on the desktop. :wink:

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

alexong2005 wrote:sr0 only shows up when there is data on the CD otherwise it isn't on the desktop. :wink:
You have found a bug.

In older Puppies, inserting an audio CD would cause an icon to appear on the desktop. And pmount would also see it. This is because probepart would detect it as having the iso9660 filesystem.

But in new Puppies like Precise and Slacko 5.4, probepart assigns it the filesystem "none". So the other programs ignore it.

The root problem is in the file /proc/partitions. Old Puppies do not list /dev/sr0, so probepart figures out that sr0 is an audio CD.

But new Puppies list /dev/sr0 in /proc/partitions. So probepart thinks that it is a regular partition and gets confused.

alexong2005

#6 Post by alexong2005 »

when i have 5.4.2 sr0 did appears even without cd in it.

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Possible fix.

The following linked pet package replaces your /sbin/probepart, a critical system file, NO RESPONSIBILITY accepted for malfunctions.

Only suitable for puppies 5.4x and beyond (slacko, precise)

http://01micko.no-ip.org/testing/cd_pla ... ix-0.1.pet
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Yes, as 01micko noted at my blog, changes in the 3.2 kernel have caused problems with probepart.

I have fixed it, including the audio-cd missing-icon problem:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00094
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]