[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
L18L

fribidi

#121 Post by L18L »

joewing wrote:...Did you exit JWM and start it again? Running "jwm -restart" just restarts the currently running instance...
...repeated the procedure using jwm738
having restarted X everything is OK now
Thank you Joe.

updating jwm.pot
"Project-Id-Version: jwm 2.1.1\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: joewing@joewing.net\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2011-12-22 18:24-0600\n"

jwm.pot had 449 lines

Creating an actual myjwm.pot by

Code: Select all

xgettext --keyword=_ -f po/POTFILES.in -o - > myjwm.pot
"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2013-05-01 08:42+0200\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: YEAR-MO-DA HO:MI+ZONE\n"

new (my)jwm.pot has 360 lines only

----
In puppy we have messages from src/winmenu only, 103 lines :)
No idea where the other stuff is hidden in puppy :roll:
Attachments
right_to_left_problem_solved.png
JWM ready for Arabic and other right-to-left languages now
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 883 times

joewing

#122 Post by joewing »

L18L:
I've updated jwm.pot in the latest snapshot (I need to be more careful about keeping that updated!).
Anyway, if you point me to a po for Arabic (or any language), I'd be happy to include it with JWM.

- Joe

scsijon

#123 Post by scsijon »

I have upgraded the Test version to 746.

Also, try a right-click on the minimum button, an interesting addition that allows you to read what's on the window below without loosing access to your working window. I like it!

session

#124 Post by session »

A right-click on the minimize button will shade the window... is there a new addition I'm missing?

OK, I have a tiny usability bug worth mentioning: If two+ windows share one application entry in the tray (ex. mtpaint w/ settings toolbar), you cannot minimize the windows with a left-click in the tray.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

#125 Post by scsijon »

session wrote:A right-click on the minimize button will shade the window... is there a new addition I'm missing?
A right-click on minimize 'rolls' the 'window' up to only show the blue heading line, like raising a roller blind, right clicking again drops it back down. Means I can write a report with the data behind and only roll up and down the report when I want to check the source data.
session wrote:OK, I have a tiny usability bug worth mentioning: If two+ windows share one application entry in the tray (ex. mtpaint w/ settings toolbar), you cannot minimize the windows with a left-click in the tray.
Issue #45 allocated in joe's git issues list.

L18L

#126 Post by L18L »

joewing wrote:L18L:
I've updated jwm.pot in the latest snapshot (I need to be more careful about keeping that updated!).
Anyway, if you point me to a po for Arabic (or any language), I'd be happy to include it with JWM.

- Joe
The problem is here in puppy we seem to have a very reduced pot file.
Just the messages of src/winmenu
Configuration in puppy specific jwmconfig ?
@scsijon, correct me if I am wrong :)

Anyhow I have attached a de.po (not complete because of above reason but updated)

(I could look into the other langpacks later)
Attachments
jwm.po.gz
PO file for jwm
rename to de.po
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

scsijon

#127 Post by scsijon »

@L18L Your so right, although barryk's still setting the standard of what is in or out.

@joe, 01micko looks after that side of the config now it has been separated from the basic jwm, maybe you could send a pm to him for clarification.

@session, version750, which I have just downloaded, is suppose to fix your window problem, I shall build, test and upload it if it checks out ok for puppy tonight. As the OP, can you check and let me know if it's fixed as far as your concerned afterwards please.

regards to all
scsijon

EDIT: sorry, no v750 tonight, will do tomorrow, I have a problem to fix on another dist package.

scsijon

#128 Post by scsijon »

I have uploaded V750.

If anyone has the latest Quirky, could you test heavily please, checking the xerrs.log, I was getting some strange messages while testing, even when it was working ok and i'd like a confirmation that it's ok as it's due to become the next release version.

Also, i'm going to try to build a 64bit jwm with fatdog64/slackbones64 v620 now I have iso's and frugal installs working on one of my dev boxes. They are a long way behind with the version they are using.

regards
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 06 May 2013, 02:15, edited 2 times in total.

session

#129 Post by session »

Taskbar working as expected in v750.

*edit* I don't get any strange messages in Quirky 5.4.91; in any case v750 is working OK, like in Wary.
Last edited by session on Wed 08 May 2013, 01:16, edited 3 times in total.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

L18L

JWM Desktop V750 (Test)

#130 Post by L18L »

Short look into xerrs.log

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Freed 33185280 (pool 1)
rev: stdin: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
/usr/bin/jwm
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[293]: invalid layer: 12
JWM: warning: /root/.jwmrc[306]: invalid layer: 3
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

Only the red lines are new in 750.
Endless failed to open VDPAU.... (I do not have nvidia)

scsijon

#131 Post by scsijon »

@L18L, thanks for the test

The two red error lines mean your using the old config files and not mick's updated jwmconfig2.pet, see about page3 for the url.

The ones above that are xorg or system related.

Any errors or messages that appear below the line marked '/usr/bin/jwm', which is where jwm is telling you it's starting, are not from jwm but system and app errors that jwm once use to hide but now doesn't.

thanks again for the test

01micko

#132 Post by 01micko »

scsijon, et-al

I have an update for the jwm-config. It is now ready for when Joe releases 2.2. When I did a git clone jwm identifies itself as version 2.2 so I had to fix it. I put it (along with jwm-750) in the ThinSlacko delta release.
Attachments
jwmconfig2-130504.pet
(54.33 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scsijon

#133 Post by scsijon »

I have added on page1 a test version for fatdog64 and slackbones 64, please read the notes on your individual threads at the top of the page before installing.

EDIT 13May: I have 755(+) to build and test wed, been a 'little' busy this last week. Should be up by the weekend.

scsijon

#134 Post by scsijon »

We are now up to Version 755.

I have split the NLS for this version only to allow the language builders to 'do their own thing'. Pleasase add your files to your reply and i'll ensure joe gets them for inclusion in the source.

I have also re-added back in a small post-install script that was accidentally removed from the release sets. My apologies to woof builders for that exclusion. The script does not affect anyone else and does not appear in the test versions.

OscarTalks

#135 Post by OscarTalks »

I was experimenting with a recent Google Earth 7.1.1.1580 (beta) and found that if the maximized window is closed and re-opened it does not fill the screen despite the button showing as maximized. If I reduce down and maximize again it fills the screen again.

I posted an .SFS and a .PET here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86211

Not sure if this is a JWM issue or a bug in the Google Earth code, but it doesn't happen in Openbox in Lucid and it doesn't happen in JWM with the slightly earlier 7.0 Google Earth.
Oscar in England

scsijon

#136 Post by scsijon »

sorry folks, I have been up above my ears (literally) in paint. !I hate painting ceilings!

However I have downloaded joe's latest v762 and will build today. If it passes my basic set it should be up tonight/tomorrow for your wider testing.
EDIT: Done, see first post for the 32bit test pet, x86_64 will appear this weekend.

@Oscar, I suspect it's google earth but when I have built the next version can you try again. If it's still happening I shall pass it on to joe for a check.

`f00

#137 Post by `f00 »

If the ceiling's fairly plain, you can use a specialized roller cover for ceilings from Sears (hardly any dripping!) and go a bit slower with it..

more jwm-ish (dotpet of 762 and etc)

Handles well in racy 5491 and slacko55. One of the differences I looked for was the handling of 'serial translucency' with kcompmgr -n enabled - it does indeed seem more simplified, in essence the 'stepping' of the translucency effect according to layer of individual windows. The overall visual effect is similar to pre-750 versions but slightly different in use (actually seems more robust in keeping with Joe's overall plan). Moving windows by r-click-drag in the pager feels quite smooth and even the 'pop' as desktop is changed when moving over halfway past the boundary is hardly noticeable.

Custom-compile in p431. Oh well, still has the drawing-remnant issue for max, max-h and max-v when using titlebar button for that in p431 (but fine with window or tasklist button menu) with kcompmgr -n enabled. Noticeably less smooth in p431 for moving windows by r-click-drag in the pager also. The stepping of serial translucency is simplified for sure, much more obvious when the xpad windows I use for test have the same bg. Comparing against vgit-731, sloppy focus looks a bit better integrated now too.

All very quick and responsive, looks like a winner to me.
Attachments
762.png
with kcompmgr -n in slacko55
(52.8 KiB) Downloaded 739 times

scsijon

#138 Post by scsijon »

thanks 'f00, but the house is a pre-1st world war timber and iron roofed building, nothing is plain, straight, square,etc.,..., but I like it as it's 'small' and there is only me (and four cats) living in it nowadays. And before anyone yells about the cats, they are all desexed, were strays, and up here in the wheat belt, a necessity to keep mice out of the house and workshops for at least 9 months of the year.

However, back on topic.

I've just downloaded a new snapshot v768, so that should come the test way uploaded tonight, one thing it has is some updated po files that need checking please by our non-english speakers please, and a few more supplied if people have time. from an initial build, it seems a bit faster with window creation as joe has apparently done some changes and removed some redundant code.

scsijon

#139 Post by scsijon »

I have uploaded onto the first post JWM Version 768.

I have tested it as ok and it's time to have extensive testing. You have seven days!

If this version is good it will be rebuilt as the next Release version.

Jasper

#140 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I use Precise 5.6 with a 1024 x 768 pixel screen.

After installing jwm 768 and Restarting X both abiword
and dillo open their 936 x 702 windows in a new position
(some 25 pixels right of their pre-768-installation point).

My regards

PS I used 936 x 702 because if I made my dillo or abiword
less than full screen windows with other than a 4 x 3 ratio
they only opened in the exact position I wanted on exactly
every second opening.