[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
sc0ttman

#31 Post by sc0ttman »

testing JWM 691 briefly, on akita 14... your pet clobbers our jwm themes and such.. but anyways... looks good ;)

1. I'm using opera 11.01 and the tray icon is not swallowed, it is in the top left corner of the desktop, (should be bottom right, next to the time!).. this *occasionally* happened with older JWMs (shinobars builds and others before it...)..

freememapplet, deadbeef, pmusic and puptray work fine in the tray, as normal.. maybe opera is at fault.. anyone tested opera 12? other large tray apps?

2. also, if i maximise opera, then drag or double click the title bar to unmaximise (but it remains full size of screen), then do `jwm -restart`, the title bar of the opera window moves above the screen ... it happens often after, until you manually move the window away from the top of the screen...

this same 'maximise and top of screen' problem also happens with geany.. not tested with other programs..

3. sometimes i still have to click the 'show desktop' button twice for it to work ... cannot find the cause or reproduce it reliably...

4. `jwm -restart ` causes retrovol to disappear from the tray, other apps in tray unaffected... prob retrovol at fault..

5. `jwm -restart ` causes some windows to lose their settings: whether they're folded or not, thier position, minimised or not, etc... but I think i do see improvements in keeping the minimised windows still minimised, after `jwm -restart`

i'm using 1024x768x32, tested with dual screen setup and without, which made no difference to the above stuff..

BTW, I love the fact I can drag a window from 1 desktop to another in JWM... Use it often..

EDIT: A *couple* of X restarts and the Opera tray icon is now swallowed correctly... Go figure..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Monsie

JWM Desktop Updates to V691

#32 Post by Monsie »

scsijon,

I'm testing V691 After running fixmenus and jwm-restart at the terminal following the installation, I thought I lost the tray for a moment, then realized it was on "autohide" so I reset it to "off". I'm guessing that you compiled jwm with this particular configuration? Other than that, I had to re-select my theme, and also re-edit _root_.jwmrc to get my custom category for Science back on the main menu. This was expected. Further, I was pleased to see that my custom keyboard settings were retained in jwmrc-personal and so for example: my "Prt Scr" key (Print Screen) still works.

All in all, it's looking great! I am not seeing any more partially hidden windows or dialog boxes in ROX. In some cases, the windows do meet the edge of the screen, and, it is over the tray, (layer change) but again, nothing is hidden. In other cases, the windows only meet the top edge of the tray. I am not sure why there is inconsistent behavior here... maybe just some fine-tuning is needed still. My thoughts are that any window or dialog box should meet the top edge of the tray rather than go over it --otherwise, it might be more difficult to access minimized applications from the tray if those apps are indeed obscured by other windows on the desktop.

I am still seeing the following in /tmp/xerrs.log....

Code: Select all

JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[10]: invalid tag in Active: Corner
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[16]: invalid tag in Inactive: Corner
Usually, I just delete the offending lines in jwmrc-theme and save my changes. It's my understanding that these tags are no longer used, and if that's the case, maybe this can be removed from the source-code.

Again, I like the fine sharp edges of the main menu and submenu. Maybe it's my imagination, but some of the menu icons seem to be clearer; detail is more visible :) In all, this version is such a noticeable improvement, I will be keeping it on my desktop for the time being.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

session

re: JWM v691

#33 Post by session »

Usability--opaque window dragging, menu navigation--is faster than ever; according to Top, every JWM restart increases memory footprint by about 1mb.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

Re: re: JWM v691

#34 Post by scsijon »

session wrote:Usability--opaque window dragging, menu navigation--is faster than ever; according to Top, every JWM restart increases memory footprint by about 1mb.
I have put a issue into jwm for joe to deal with on the memory leak as I could duplicate it.

Could you please explain "Useability--opaque window dragging" and if it's a problem or just a comment as I don't understand it?

@monsie
Thanks, it looks like I have used some of the old config files by error, I shall have to check it out and fix what's in the buildset again.

You want to see how clear the menu icons are when the screen matrix is 2048x1536 on a 20" screen if the iconset is goodenough, it's one of the changes joe did a few versions ago.

@OscarTalks, I have an almost full set of mageia 1 packages,when I need to I cheat, I add them on a frugal wary development partition until something works and I can test it, then just blow the savefile away and i'm good again to test on a clean partition.

@ ALL
I have a new version to build and test before release when I am off-shift next tuesday pm. You will need to be patient I'm afraid although by then he may have a further upgrade for me.
I have also a couple if puppy jwm scripts to look at and fix again at the same time, somehow I built with earlier ones when I did a 'step-back' because of problems found with jwm, my apologies.

[s]I think I may build two test versions for you to test with, one for upgrading puppy's that have not been 'played with' and to use with woof when building, and one that contains the minimum of changes for testing only, but when I release the version I think there should only be one again to avoid confusion.[/s]

EDIT no, after thinking and some discussions, there will only be one, and built with wary. I shall build and internally test tomorrow, if ok, it should appear for you to test the next day and if no serious problems arrive by the weekend I shall build a release copy.

thanks
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 26 Feb 2013, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.

session

#35 Post by session »

It's an interpolated positive comment. :)
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

v692 and jwm-reload

#36 Post by scsijon »

Just a short note that version 692 will not appear as it has a few esoteric screen problems that needs to be sorted out that will cause joe I think some headaches.

Consider the existing 691 as safe to use and a RC quality build. I shall most likely put a release pet of this version out there by early next week when I have checked and fixed the scripts.

Also of general note is that after running fixmenus we should be using jwm -reload and not jwm -restart.

01micko

#37 Post by 01micko »

scsijon

I have the scripts already fixed (and enhanced). IIRC there is a replacement template that fixes the new layer syntax too in the package, (below,normal, above).

Package:

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... 130213.pet

Cheers!

EDIT: I may change the name to jwmconfig3 so that Barry can include it in woof and the woofer can choose.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scsijon

#38 Post by scsijon »

I have built a final release version of jwm2-691 and removed the previous versions.

jwm is now in two pets (found in the first post on page1).

The first pet, jwm2-691-w5c.pet contains only the core jwm component and docs and for someone upgrading should be enough for those upgrading from Version 679 or later.

The second pet, jwm2-config-691.pet contains only the configuration components and will be needed for anyone either upgrading from a version pre jwm2-679 or working from woof.

Alternately to using the second pet, you can instead use 01micko's jwmconfig2-130213.pet mentioned with a link in the post above which works as well and has some additional functions which I do like.

When we go forward again, will depend on joe having time to sort out further problems. I do not recomend anyone building jwm-692 as it has problems with windows and scroll bars across a number of applications and puppy versions. In some cases it even cuts sections of the window off in the manner of taking a pair of scissors to a page, or only allows reductions to full screen size. I will of course continue to work with him to test and build against puppy until the next step is ready in which case this thread will again be used.

EDIT: 6 Mar - Joe has just notified me of a new jwm-697 fix for the screen oversizing. I'll build and test this afternoon.
EDIT2: 8 Mar - the last didn't work but about to build jwm-700.

There is also a couple of enhancement requests I have put in to joe for addition to jwm.

a) when only one virtual window, limit the app window to the virtual window so it doesn't totally dissapear off screen, with alternatives being, that no-part of the app window can be off screen, or only part of it can slide off.

b) when multiple virtual windows, you can slide a app window across so part of it goes into the adjacent virtual window and it is actually visable there rather than only having an app window appearing in one virtual window.

Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?

scsijon

jwm2-700

#39 Post by scsijon »

I have attached on the first page a jwm2-700 for testing only as it seems to have fixed the problem and I would like a few extra testers to see if it really has!

You may also note that I have set a dependancy of mick's jwmconfig2 (2 messages above) against this unless you have already been testing or have installed jwm2-691 and it's config file.

Also check my note at the bottom of my last message above, for enhancement requests, while joe has time to add a few for us.

anikin

#40 Post by anikin »

scsijon wrote:Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?
Please, get rid of this new, rectangular "crosshair" mouse pointer. I can't tell you, how amateurishly out of place and ultimately superflous it looks on the desktop! What was wrong with the simple, old cursor, that dictated acceptance of this novelty?

scsijon

#41 Post by scsijon »

anikin wrote:
scsijon wrote:Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?
Please, get rid of this new, rectangular "crosshair" mouse pointer. I can't tell you, how amateurishly out of place and ultimately superflous it looks on the desktop! What was wrong with the simple, old cursor, that dictated acceptance of this novelty?
Sorry, but I'm not getting that, mine is an arrowhead.

If I remember correctly it's part of Pcur (under desktop) that sets that, not jwm.

anikin

#42 Post by anikin »

scsijon wrote: Sorry, but I'm not getting that, mine is an arrowhead.

If I remember correctly it's part of Pcur (under desktop) that sets that, not jwm.
Mine too is an arrowhead - it changes into rectangular when placed over x (upper right corner) to close a window. That's what drives me crazy in the new version of JWM.

scsijon

#43 Post by scsijon »

anikin wrote:Mine too is an arrowhead - it changes into rectangular when placed over x (upper right corner) to close a window. That's what drives me crazy in the new version of JWM.
Ok, I now understand, he has already a request for the ability to change the three symbols to a user defined set so I think you must await that to happen.

anikin

#44 Post by anikin »

Why are those three symbols needed at all? What purpose do they serve, except adding anxiety and confusion to a user's experience? The upper right area of a window has already the needed symbols: minimize, maximize and close window. The good, old arrowhead pointer can pretty much do it's job without having to morph into something else. Scsijon, please ask Joe to ditch the symbols and revert to the old way.

Taking this opportunity, I'd like to ask a technical question. Perhaps, you or anyone else who knows, has an answer. JWM can be compiled "icon-less", as mentioned on their site. I'm curious to know what will happen to the tray in such a case. Will it be able to display tray icons, or not.

Thank you in advance.

`f00

#45 Post by `f00 »

hi anikin :)

I'd imagine the 'no-icon' option would only apply to jwm elements (titlebars, menus, traybuttons, tasklist buttons), much like 'box wms - there'd still be text and popups. A possible 'exception' would be items that load in the systray/dock and perhaps swallowed apps (see .jwmrc-tray for if that applies or not)

Likely it would run a bit leaner (like fluxbox w/o imlib2 support)

By the way, personally I kind of like the change-of-pointer when the titlebar buttons are hovered. It lets me know a) the button is indeed active & a click will result in an action and b) that other functions can be invoked, like a r-click on the minimize button will toggle shade in these newer versions (I like multifunction titlebar buttons, :idea: m2 for max vertical and m3 for max horizontal on the max button would be nice)

If that helps, yvw - gotta test 700 now ;)

scsijon

#46 Post by scsijon »

@anikin, no, it's an all or none as I understand it.

@'f00, Nice idea, I have passed your request into his system, using centre-click for m2 and right-click for m3.
EDIT: he loves the idea, it will appear soon, maybe I shall hold off building his next test one until it appears, however 700 does still need testing to confirm the screen resizing problem has finally gone!
EDIT2: he loved it that much it's already done, as 702, I shall build and test tonight and all being well replace 700 with 702 tomorrow for further testing before updating the release build in a week if no problems ocurr!

anikin

#47 Post by anikin »

scsijon wrote:@anikin, no, it's an all or none as I understand it.
Understood. I'm not going to pass judgement on Joe's decisions.
Scsijon, this thread is a testing platform for JWM, if I get it right. Here's a graet idea, pursuant to my previous post. Can we expand the testing to see how JWM works if compiled without support for menu icons? Something, that hasn't been done yet? This will definitely put extra load on you to produce an additional compilation, but will also be of benifit to the community. Although, I must confess, I'm driven by a selfish interest here. An iconless menu can be done manually, and I've done it: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 120#666120
The result I would like to see in the compilation is a clean iconless menu, and at the same time, retain the possibility to have icons in the tray and desktop. Could be a tediuos process, but as `f00 put it: "Likely it would run a bit leaner." And what can be a better reward for a user, than a "bit leaner" running puppy?

Keef

#48 Post by Keef »

I did a compile with --disable-icons.
It gets rid of menu icons, and tray buttons. (they are missing on the screenshot on the left of the tray - I had installed Mick's pet).
'Swallowed' apps remain.
Desktop icons are part of the Rox pinboard.
Attachments
jwm-no_icons.jpg
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times

anikin

#49 Post by anikin »

Keef,

I'm speechless. And impressed.
Looks like the "correct" layout for a WM in a distro built to run from RAM and be small and efficient.
Will you share it?

Keef

#50 Post by Keef »

Anikin

I just did it to see what happened with icons disabled. Unfortunately the current version will not compile with '--disable-icons', so I used an earlier one.
These are the errors I get after running make:

Code: Select all

# make
cd src ; make all ; cd ..
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sda2/Downloads/Window-Managers/JWM/CURRENT/jwm-master/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R7/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R7/include   -I/usr/X11R7/include   -I/usr/include/fribidi   -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\"  background.c
background.c:307:35: error: macro "LoadNamedIcon" passed 2 arguments, but takes just 1
background.c: In function ‘LoadImageBackground’:
background.c:307: error: ‘LoadNamedIcon’ undeclared (first use in this function)
background.c:307: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
background.c:307: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [background.o] Error 1