SwapIcons-1.2

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
rhadon

#16 Post by rhadon »

@Jasper
Got it now :oops: , thank you,

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

jimwg

#17 Post by jimwg »

Thanks for this app! It's really appreciated! Is it possible to assign the corners of the screen as swap switches rather than the sides?

Keep up the great work!

Jim in NYC

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people.

pekwm is already "screen-side" friendly.

Here you will find how to emulate radhon's trick in pekwm:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#725132
i.e. how to make a ROX-panel appear and disappear with a Ctrl-click on the proper side of the screen, in pekwm.

Enjoy.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

jimwg

#19 Post by jimwg »

Thanks for swift reply! I skimmed this topic and manage a gist of what you're all saying which sounds very clever but applying it is a little over the head of this tech newbie so I'll just sit it out and wait for a simpler newbie-friendly app interface to implement these complicated commands and procedures.

Please keep up the good work!

Jim in NYC

rhadon

#20 Post by rhadon »

Hi ,

sorry that it takes such a long time, but I was/am busy in real life and hadn't much time for Puppy :oops: .

By now I've found 4 different solutions for detecting a single key but all are working only if I run the program from console. So it's not workable by now :cry: .

There's another possible solution by using keyboard shortcuts (no mouse move required). Basically this works fine. I have to change some small parts of the prog and to add the new choices to the GUI. One advantage, nothing from swapicons is running in the background.

@ musher0
I'm glad you've found a solution without waiting for me :D .

@ Jim
I'm glad you like this small program. It should be possible to change/add the corners instead of using the sides but first I'll add the code for using shortcuts. Then we'll see :wink: .

Rolf

jimwg

#21 Post by jimwg »

rhadon wrote:Hi ,

It should be possible to change/add the corners instead of using the sides but first I'll add the code for using shortcuts. Then we'll see :wink: .

Rolf
Good luck if you can swing this!

Thanks for the contribution!

Jim in NYC

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

> @ musher0
> I'm glad you've found a solution without waiting for me. :lol:

Of course that solution is only good within the pekwm... I discovered it after I had written my post here. Sorry.

Which means radhon's work will still be useful for those who do not use pekwm. :) And of course, I don't mean that pekwm is a superior window manager. ;)

Bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rhadon

#23 Post by rhadon »

New version SwapIcons-1.2 is out :D .

Now you can always use shortcuts and also corners instead of sides.
It's based on L18L's SwapIcons-1.1.

For shortcuts the Action Command is: /usr/local/apps/swapicons/ppin-change

I'd prefer xbindkeys + xbindkeys-config because it's WM independent (tested with Slacko, JWM and Compiz) and easy to use. At least for me, but I don't have much experience with shortcuts :oops: . In Slacko xbindkeys is already installed, you only need xbindkeys-config. To find out whether they are in your Puppy, type which xbindkeys and which xbindkeys-config in a terminal. Aragon has built pets, they are here.

The new version of SwapIcons is in the first post :wink: .

Enjoy and have fun :D ,

Rolf

jimwg

#24 Post by jimwg »

Thanks for 1.2!

I'd like to report a heads-up that might not be SwapIcon's fault, but when run with Nathans Wallpaper in slideshow mode sometimes the icons flicker and crashes and kills the PuppyPin file where the desktop icon configs are, as mentioned another topic. I'd like to alert Nathan Wallpaper on this too, but just thought you ought know! Maybe one solution can have SwapIcons backup the PuppyPin file just as a precaution too?

Feature request: Cosmetic, but is the ability to mix desktop icons from different sets doable? Also, blinking desktop icons indicating active or recently accessed folders or apps. But I suppose icon resize or animated GIF thumbnails or mouse-focused pop-up folder property displays are beyond the scope for SwapIcons, true? Still,

Keep up the great work!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by jimwg on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

jimwg

#25 Post by jimwg »

[

rhadon

#26 Post by rhadon »

Hi Jim,

I need to test Nathan's Wallpaper Slideshow. Btw, he was working for a new version some weeks ago (there is a thread about it), but I can't remember that he has posted a new version.

Most of this week I'll be away from home, so don't expect a solution from me before weekend, rather later.
jimwg wrote:Maybe one solution can have SwapIcons backup the PuppyPin file just as a precaution too?
I could add a button in swapicons-config to make a copy of puppypin. I don't like the idea to make copies automatically because in worst case you get a copy of a crashed puppypin. You can also make a backup of your puppypin manually :wink: .
...is the ability to mix desktop icons from different sets doable?
I think so, but you have to copy them manually. There is a very fine program from SFR called Icon Finder (IIRC) which could help you to find the desired icons.
But I suppose icon resize or animated GIF thumbnails or mouse-focused pop-up folder property displays are beyond the scope for SwapIcons, true?
Yes. What you want is completely different from what SwapIcons does. Sorry.

Rolf