what puppy version to use for nv 96.xx drivers

Booting, installing, newbie
JetLife

#1 Post by JetLife »

on this pc i have a geforce mx440 card so, as i understand newer kernels don't support legacy drivers, so i downloaded puppy 5.2.8 but i might still have problems cause of the xorg

ive used a couple of lightweight distros and i liked bodhi and macpup the most so far but i think i might like puppy even more cause even though macpup used less than 60mb ram with just pidgin running my cpu is just an 1,4ghz duron so ill never fill those 256mb ram cause its not fast enough
puppy has a larger comunity and less buggs from what ive seen,
ive had so much trouble installing apps on macpup that use qt that i just gave up, bodhi was fine a part from being too slow on this pc and having major problems with some browsers and flash (firefox had no bugs but was very slow and midori always crashes on some sites so i cant fix that, the rest didnt work well at all with flash)

if someone also has some advice on how to install em properly on puppy i'd appreciate that since i'm sure i'd screw up a couple of times pretty badly on my own :P

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello JetLife,

Certainly Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 is a good one to try. It should load one of the xorg drivers automatically for you (possibly the nv driver) or if you go to the Puppy Package Manager and type "NVIDIA-96" (without the quotes) into the "find" field and click "Go" you should see an NVIDIA-96.xx driver that you can install with just a click for (hopefully) better graphics.

There are also various browsers you can install from within PPM or QuickPet or check out this forum's additional software section for flash or other apps you may wish to try. Current versions of browsers like SeaMonkey or Firefox can be installed quite easlily from their websites once you get the hang of it.
Oscar in England

simargl

#3 Post by simargl »

Hi JetLife,
Think i can help you with this because I used same or very similar (440) graphic card.
Unfortunately nvidia 96 drivers doesn't work with xorg sever newer than 1.10, that means you
would need to stick to something based on Debian squeeze, ubuntu 10 or slackware 13.
Puppy Lucid is good choice because you can install driver package using slickpet.
Or maybe try nouveau drivers if you need newer system, I didn't test that though...
Good luck

Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

JetLife,

Wary Puppy is designed for systems with older hardware and supports the nvidia 96xx legacy driver series.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

JetLife

#5 Post by JetLife »

well, it worked for me, using nvidia drivers right now,in fact all i had to do till now is download things and install them and puppy uses less resources than macpup even with more processes running, anyway im trying to get flash player to work with opera

edit: well, that was easy, should have installed puppy the first time i heard of it, lol

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Which version of Puppy did you use?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

JetLife

#7 Post by JetLife »

used puppy 528 lucid but i've been notified someone used a puppy distro based on slacko 14 with kernel v3,6 though he said it didnt work very well, it did run

damn, i think ima use puppy even on my main pc when i'll fix it

though i am having a slight problem with the shutdown and reboot buttons not actually doing what their supposed to, i get a black screen for like 3 sec then im back to desktop