PPM Downloads Fail

Booting, installing, newbie
bcs

PPM Downloads Fail

#16 Post by bcs »

Semme,

Copy all. I will do the upgrade over my original slacko-save files. I hate to be dense but what exactly constitutes the "opening splash screen"? - just so I don't miss it during the boot.

bcs

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

This first screen you see after BIOS. Did PPM work in 5.4?

No? Can you dwnld this pkg with your browser?

Yes? Copy'n paste (left'n right buttons in unison) this line into your console:

Code: Select all

wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-13.37/slackware/ap/vbetool-1.1-i486-1.txz
.. then open *file* on your desktop. Is vbetool-1.1-i486-1.txz there?

And as for an upgrade, you can probably do this from a live boot..

bcs

PPM Downloads Fail

#18 Post by bcs »

OK, I got the pupfix=ram command entered on the splash page. I got 5.4 running and PPM still doesn't work. Same as before. I was able to download the vbe tool from the browser, Firefox now, and I saved it to ~root. I entered the script you included to the console and the vbetool is unpacked, in ~root. Do I need to move it to the desktop before I open it? As far as eliminating the extra old sfs file in my flash drive is that something I should do before proceeding?

bcs

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

No, that pkg isn't for you.. not to install anyways. It was merely a dwnld check.

If you wouldn't mind deleting that pkg in /root and re-running my codeline.

We're checking to see that wget isn't somehow blocked.

As for your flash drive.. you went with *which* installer- Boot Flash or Universal?

bcs

PPM Downloads Fail

#20 Post by bcs »

Ok the vbe package is removed. Which code do you want run again? wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackw ... i486-1.txz? I don't remember Boot Flash or Universal being an option

Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

Well, how'd you do it when you installed to Flash? And who's your service provider? PM it if you like..

Oh and, your routers`make'n model should help too. I really don't think Pup's the problem here..
Attachments
bootflash.jpg
(56.34 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
uni_installer.jpg
(47.75 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

bcs

PPM Downloads Fail

#22 Post by bcs »

I ran your posted codeline again. I just installed v5.4 like before and saved sessions to the flash drive. I didn't see a reference to boot flash or universal. There was nothing on the v5.3 saved sessions except the printer install and that only took 3 minutes to reestablish. Everything seems to work but PPM, just like before. The machine I'm using now won't boot from a usb.

TWN is my ISP. They aren't too receptive to suggestions for upgrades, ie IPv6. It is through a wired router and dish pointed at an antenna on a nearby mountain. I run up to three other machines on this router, depending on what I'm doing.

I have 3 uses for live CD puppy linux is: 1)Reducing traces on rented computers while I travel the 3rd world. The only thing dumber than banking on a "cafe" machine is carrying a laptop thru the barrio. The other two are 2)running my old machine as a backup at home and 3)accessing data on machines with corrupted OS.

I can see now I need to uninstall flash 11 that seems to be on v5.4 and put a less demanding version for running on this old HPPAV and I need a legacy jre for several government websites I need. The lite operating system is great but if the cpu is overwhelmed by latest/greatest add-ons it defeats the purpose. Also, I don't always get to chose the machine or ISP on the road, either.

I hope that gives a bit more perspective on my situation now and my objectives.

bcs

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

There is a bug in PPM with some repos NOT mirroring Puppy any more :( . When you click to install a pet a list of radio buttons pops up. Choose a repo other than the default. This bug will be fixed soon.

Known working:
  • Iblblio
    Nluug
    Aarnet
    UOC
HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

`Bout time Mick. Have you known long?

Semme

#25 Post by Semme »

BCS- any joy?

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

Semme wrote:`Bout time Mick. Have you known long?
I knew 1 wasn't working but I just tested them all and 5 fail :( . I posted a note to BK's blog as it needs to be fixed at the woof level.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

OK, sounds good. Thanks..

bcs

#28 Post by bcs »

Semme,

Is this the problem I'm having?

bcs

Semme

#29 Post by Semme »

I don't know.. Give it a whirl- different mirrors with a small pkg like vbetool. If one goes- we'll know.

bcs

#30 Post by bcs »

I'm having trouble understanding how to add the other mirrors. I thought I got one in but it still didn't show up when I restarted ppm. The add repo help page is unclear.

bcs

bcs

#31 Post by bcs »

Semme,

OK I was making too much of it. It looks like nluug is downloading but I still had jre so it's a large file. Good news it is jre1.6 though and that is the version I wanted.

bcs

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

Yeah, you were make'n too much of it. The title of my screenshot says it all..

As you gain experience, you can bypass the repos for :wink: current offerings.
Attachments
change-dwnld-location_NOT-repo.jpg
(88.7 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

bcs

#33 Post by bcs »

Semme,

PPM seems to be working as advertised. I thought I was going to have to build another repo site. Not just select one of the others listed. Also, I was under the misconception that they all were being tried up to the error code.

At least the nluug site is OK as reported. For right now I will keep booting off the Cd since I dont want to change the bios on my HPPAV right now. It{s probably more likely to work on a random machine too.

Thanks for all the help. It's quicker than trying to learn Spanish, anyway. It's always assumptions and the things you "think" you know that get you in trouble.

bcs