Can Puppy detect Samsung Sens N battery

Using applications, configuring, problems
mahaju

Can Puppy detect Samsung Sens N battery

#1 Post by mahaju »

hello
I fixed up a laptop for my friend (formated and installed Windows XP SP3)
Everything works great but it does not detect the battery at all
going to control panel does not show presence of battery and as a result we cannot see the percentage charge remaining from the taskbar
Adding a third party software for viewing remaining battery percentage does not work either since, as I mentioned, Windows it-self is not detecting it
I assumed it to be some kind of driver problem and have been searching high and low in many forums but can't even find a discussion about someone else's similar problem, let alone a solution for mine
I've tried everything I could from within windows and the only thing I can try now is through the BIOS or another OS
I could only find one setting in BIOS related to the battery; it says it will discharge the battery completely for better battery calibration and only works on SMART batteries. I have no idea what they are and so do not want to try it
I am sure the battery is fine as it charges normally and gives the same amount of backup time
My question is this: Is there anything built into puppy linux that will let me check my battery status as in Windows (percentage remaining and estimated hours of backup time left) so that I can confirm it'snot something related to the battery hardware? Or do I need to install something else? I will be using a USB bootable puppy for this and I was hoping I won't have to install anything
Ultimately though, I need to get it working in Windows so any help related to that will also be highly welcome
the computer is Samsung SENS N something something (sorry I don't remember the exact 3 digit number right now)
Please help
Thank you

mini-jaguar

#2 Post by mini-jaguar »

probably this one, the laptop-acpi-battery....pet on here: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/
it works on most Puppy 5 versions.

Most Puppies (not all) have an indicator, but not as accurate as the above .pet, or sometimes even give wrong readings altogether.

You didn't say what Puppy you are using. There's some other program for Puppy 4 (although there is a meter already there, it improves functions, suspend, etc.).

mahaju

#3 Post by mahaju »

it's puppy 5.2
Thank you for the link
I will check it out