Problems remastering Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
Raj

Problems remastering Puppy

#1 Post by Raj »

Hi All,

Thanks to the way out given by catdude, at last I am near remastering a .iso file. Sorry, can't remember site, but I have followed the instructions, more or less same.

I have faced two types of problems --
1. If I go only for copying of usr, root & var files, the remastered iso, after burning & running, does not have any internet connection wizard.

2. If I add etc & opt files, I can overcome this internet problem, but while starting up with the newly burned cd, I am getting a vga error. (....a blue screen comes, tells the system was improperly shut down, check the vga, blah blah blah.......).

3. In either cases, I am getting some unwanted files.

How can I overcome these?

Is there any way to correct these in the built-up .iso file?

Thanks,
Raj

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
In /etc there is a hidden file,
.XLOADED
You must delete this file when you copy /etc over.
That will solve your video start up problems.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Raj

#3 Post by Raj »

Thanks dear.

By the way, why internet error in first option? Can you advise on it, please?

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Raj wrote:Thanks dear.

By the way, why internet error in first option? Can you advise on it, please?
The /etc directory is essential. Copying the /etc from the running system to /tmp/etc during remaster (exclude XLOADED) is recommended if you want to keep your customized settings and keep everything intact. /etc is mainly made up of scripts anyway, so small.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

If I go only for copying of usr, root & var files, the remastered iso, after burning & running, does not have any internet connection wizard.
I don't get this happening so I assume something has changed to get this behaviour in recent releases.
The idea is with a pristine /etc the remaster is portable not broken.

Will .XLOADED be junked at some point...seems totally pointless and I removed its creation a couple of years back and never had a problem doing so.

thinking for yourself upsets others

mike

Raj

#6 Post by Raj »

Thanks nic007.

No, I copied /etc & there's net connection icon but some file is missing it says. If you want, I can paste the screenshot for further investigation.

===============================================

mikeb, This is for you. (Other fellows, I am sorry for this comment.)
1. As per your own comment, there was similar bug. so, probability is there that it's come back, by any way. You have not found it does not mean there's nothing.

2. I like your remarks always -- at least there's a joker, who can comment on any thing, without experiment.

3. BUT remember -- COMMENTING BAD ON SOME ONE REPEATEDLY UPSETS OTHERS THE MOST. Being a common platform, I can raise any issues -- whether you like it or not. The only terms I have to follow that my comments should be related with puppy & without using any abusive.

AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT?

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

mikeb wrote: Will .XLOADED be junked at some point...seems totally pointless and I removed its creation a couple of years back and never had a problem doing so.
mike
This is .XLOADED really superseded by fsckme.flg file and BOTH should be in /var/lock and not in / or /etc .

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hi Raj

My comments are not aimed at anyone personally and in this case I am sympathising with you, the user, having to deal with problems that really should not exist in the first place.

Since I am more familiar with the system I am saying 'It is unfair that Raj has to suffer because of poor design and problems that should have been rectified years ago'

Perhaps the meaning gets a little lost in translation sometimes and I certainly was not criticising you.

mike

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

Raj wrote:Thanks nic007.

No, I copied /etc & there's net connection icon but some file is missing it says. If you want, I can paste the screenshot for further investigation.

===============================================

mikeb, This is for you. (Other fellows, I am sorry for this comment.)
1. As per your own comment, there was similar bug. so, probability is there that it's come back, by any way. You have not found it does not mean there's nothing.

2. I like your remarks always -- at least there's a joker, who can comment on any thing, without experiment.

3. BUT remember -- COMMENTING BAD ON SOME ONE REPEATEDLY UPSETS OTHERS THE MOST. Being a common platform, I can raise any issues -- whether you like it or not. The only terms I have to follow that my comments should be related with puppy & without using any abusive.

AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT?
Raj, you stated in your first post (point 2) that it works when you add copy /etc and /opt. So, do the same and just delete .XLOADED. BTW, when I do a remaster, I only copy /root and /etc (and delete .XLOADED) from the running system and nothing else and it works for me. Don't know if the newest puppies require more than that. Actually why don't you just do the latter first (only copy /root and /etc) and see what happens. Also just for information - I have experienced problems with Wary Puppy 5.39's remaster script, which doesn't work. In its place I used the remastering script of Puppy 431 and just renamed the newly created base SFS file. But you probably do not have the same problem with your remaster script.......

Raj

#10 Post by Raj »

Hi Nic007,
Thank you. I am going to follow the process advised by you soon & report.

Hi Mike,
I'm really sorry for my comments. I did a mistake to understand your comment properly....... Eagerly awaiting a big smile from you, excusing me.
:D

Thank you all,
Raj

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Hi Mike,
I'm really sorry for my comments. I did a mistake to understand your comment properly....... Eagerly awaiting a big smile from you, excusing me.
thats no problem , misunderstandings happen..so don't be sorry :)

hope you get this remastering sorted...

mike

puppyluvr

#12 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Some newer puppy software installs to opt.
So /root, /etc, ( Minus .XLOADED) and /opt.
I can't see any reason for /var.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Karl Godt

#13 Post by Karl Godt »

I can't see any reason for /var
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/285

Besides that, some programs might create sub directories in /var by the installer and the binary would error if that is missing .

Though files in /var/run and /var/lock should be better avoided in the remaster.