Fvwm95 and it's desktop and file manager, somewhat [FILLED]

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
NeroVance

Fvwm95 and it's desktop and file manager, somewhat [FILLED]

#1 Post by NeroVance »

I kinda would like to try and get a bit of that old puppy experience on a modern pup, perhaps with fvwm95 and such.

If anyone has, or could make a package available, that would be most splendid. I don't mind if you can't get the desktop or FM, but it would be a nice addition.

I could probably do the rest, since I may like to use this in a puplet perchance.
Last edited by NeroVance on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi NeroVance,

Hmm... perhaps one thing you could do would be to check the debian or ubuntu repositories for the file "fvwm95.deb" and then you could work outwards from there? Most puppies after 4.2.1 - and I believe definitely all the 5.00 series? - will install .deb files automagically with a simple click upon the file in a Rox window.

Then, after installing fvwm95 you would logout from your current window manager to the prompt ( normally a black window with writing on it from when you booted up ) and you would type:

Code: Select all

xwin fvwm95
...or use whatever "start file" you might find for it in "/usr/bin". For example: The XFCE desktop uses a start file named "startxfce4", so you wouldn't just type "xwin xfce" but instead "xwin startxfce4", and so on with other window managers/desktop environments, etc.

I hope that this has helped in some small way? Where Puppy now has binary compatibility with so many different distros due to the woof building system this is truly an awesome time for us as we no longer really have to sit around waiting for the coders... Puppy is so small that we can keep a small one ( or more! :) ) available on the drive in a frugal install and experiment to our heart's content until we become brave enough to help out around here too! "I know that I tried this method on a frugal install once and it worked - so perhaps it'll work for you as well..." ;)

Again: I hope this has helped in some small way my fellow Puppian Friend?

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

NeroVance

#3 Post by NeroVance »

Eyes-Only wrote:Hi NeroVance,

Hmm... perhaps one thing you could do would be to check the debian or ubuntu repositories for the file "fvwm95.deb" and then you could work outwards from there? Most puppies after 4.2.1 - and I believe definitely all the 5.00 series? - will install .deb files automagically with a simple click upon the file in a Rox window.

Then, after installing fvwm95 you would logout from your current window manager to the prompt ( normally a black window with writing on it from when you booted up ) and you would type:

xwin fvwm95
...or use whatever "start file" you might find for it in "/usr/bin". For example: The XFCE desktop uses a start file named "startxfce4", so you wouldn't just type "xwin xfce" but instead "xwin startxfce4", and so on with other window managers/desktop environments, etc.

I hope that this has helped in some small way? Where Puppy now has binary compatibility with so many different distros due to the woof building system this is truly an awesome time for us as we no longer really have to sit around waiting for the coders... Puppy is so small that we can keep a small one ( or more! :) ) available on the drive in a frugal install and experiment to our heart's content until we become brave enough to help out around here too! "I know that I tried this method on a frugal install once and it worked - so perhaps it'll work for you as well..." ;)

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
Thank you my good Eye-Dog. Almost forgot about that binary compatibility that Puppy has gained. I should perhaps try a current pup, see what I can find.

NeroVance

#4 Post by NeroVance »

Eyes-Only wrote:Hi NeroVance,

xwin fvwm95

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
Thank you my good Eye-Dog. Almost forgot about that binary compatibility that Puppy has gained. I should perhaps try a current pup, see what I can find.