Is possible make th boot from pendrive and later run pupsave

Booting, installing, newbie
mister_electronico

Is possible make th boot from pendrive and later run pupsave

#1 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi , is wonderful multiple ways to boot puppy.
But I am looking for boot puppy from pen-drive and later search for pupsave in the hard drive, like do it the live CD.

When start from Live-Cd this make the boot in the CD, and later search for pupsave there are in the hard drive. Thats is I like to do it but with
pendrive.

This been good because this way we can run many pupsave version of puppy in the same partition hard drive.

Maybe I am in mistake and is possible to do it, but I not met.

If anyone knows what I'd be grateful said.

Thanks.

capicoso

#2 Post by capicoso »

Hola.
I don't know if i get you... You want boot Puppy from pendrive and load the savefile from other HDD? If you have a savefile on the HDD and boot from pendrive it'll load it

mister_electronico

How you do it?

#3 Post by mister_electronico »

How you do it? because when I boot from pen-drive, the only pup-save I can load are the pup-save is in the pen-drive.

So like I said, I want make the boot in the pend-drive, and after that search in the hard drive and run the pup-saver are in it.

The same happen when you boot from Live-Cd, the CD make a book an after that look in the hard drive for pup-save.

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Puppy likes to find its save file in the same place as the main SFS file.

Copy the SFS file off the pen drive onto your hard drive.

Look on your pen drive for the file syslinux.cfg. It probably contains the kernel argument "pmedia=usbflash".

Change it to "pmedia=atahd".

[Edit] I found another suggestion to use "pmedia=cd". Then you might not need to copy the SFS onto the hard drive.

mister_electronico

No work..

#5 Post by mister_electronico »

Thanks rcrsn51 for you reply, I did how you said, change for "pmedia=atahd" and remove all sfs file in pen-drive, and copy in the hard drive but didn't work.

I and working with Puppy 5.33 then I open the iso Download, copy vmlinuz, initrd.gz and overwrite to the pen-drive, but still boot and not search sfs files in the hard drive.

I remove extlinux.conf and extlinux.sys in the pen-drive and copy isolinux.cfg and isolinux.bin from iso, and boot again but nothing.

I don't know what I do, but I try everything.... lol.

I hope I'll get one day.

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Using Slacko 533, I made a bootable flash drive. It had vmlinuz and initrd.gz, but NOT the sfs file. I used "pmedia=cd".

I put the sfs file on the hard drive.

This booted and found the sfs file. I made a save file in the same location as the sfs file.

I rebooted. The save file was found.

[Edit] the same technique can be used to boot off a flash drive and launch a full install on the hard drive. The syslinux.cfg file would look like

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 18 May 2013, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

mister_electronico

works perfect.

#7 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi rcrsn51 you are so clever.... lol. work perfect, I don't not what I did the last day, but today change for "pmedia=cd" and work perfect.

Search the sfs files in the hard drive.

I think this is interesting because I can run different versions of puppy in the same partition hard drive.

You can use different pen-drives for run the different version of puppy in the same partition hard drive or how a I did just know I run with the pen-drive boot with 5.33 and later open slacko-pupsave531.

I must to re-configuration again all slacko-pupsave531 but work perfect. I must try with other version like Passagio, puppy-4x etc..

So rcrsn51 thanks too much because you give me a good help.

See you.