Installing Tor Browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
GarySmith

Installing Tor Browser

#1 Post by GarySmith »

Want to change over from Windows to Precise Puppy. Wish I had discovered Linux years ago. Really impressive.

Corel Draw8 has an issue with the Copy command so I'm using Clone in my document and using Import for any other graphic of a page when needed.

This post: my question as a beginner is about executing a command for setting up Tor Browser. See last statement below about "LANG".

Thanks for anybody listening today.

Gary Smith
_____

Linux Instructions for Tor Browser

Download the architecture-appropriate file above, save it somewhere, then run one of the following two commands to extract the package archive:

tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux32-4.0_LANG.tar.xz

or (for the 64-bit version):

tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux64-4.0_LANG.tar.xz

(where LANG is the language listed in the filename).
________

Am I to substitute some text code for "LANG"?

cimarron

#2 Post by cimarron »

There's a peculiarity with running Tor on Puppy, because it doesn't want to run as the "root" user. But OscarTalks has been regularly packaging the Tor browser bundle for Puppy and it works well. See this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91141

His pet package for version 3.6.6 is here: tor-browser-3.6.6-x86.pet

I imagine the newest version (4.0) will be packaged and available in his tor thread soon.

neerajkolte

#3 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi @GarySmith,

Welcome to the forum,

What puppy are you using and what are your machine's specs.
I am just a noob myself but I suggest you should try what @cimarron says.

For your question,
GarySmith wrote:Download the architecture-appropriate file above
When you follow this and download the .tar.xz file, it's name might be in format of

tor-browser-linux32-4.0_LANG.tar.xz for 32bit system

OR

tor-browser-linux64-4.0_LANG.tar.xz for 64 bit system.

The LANG in the file name will be different according to the language version you download.

Ex. if you downloaded english tor browser version then the name would be tor-browser-linux64-4.0_en.tar.xz or something..

Just replace the name of file you have downloaded in the code. Like

Code: Select all

tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux64-4.0_en.tar.xz
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

GarySmith

Thank You for Replies

#4 Post by GarySmith »

Thank you for replies and suggestions.

Just now returning to this forum and will study these this AM.

So glad to be in a forum where others have similar interests.

Gary Smith

GarySmith

Tor Pet or Sfs Load

#5 Post by GarySmith »

“Tor Status--Connecting to the Tor network--Loading network status

GarySmith

Linux64 vs. Linux32?

#6 Post by GarySmith »

neerajkolte wrote:Hi @GarySmith,
Welcome to the forum, What puppy are you using and what are your machine's specs. I am just a noob myself but I suggest you should try what @cimarron says. For your question,
GarySmith wrote:Download the architecture-appropriate file above
When you follow this and download the .tar.xz file, it's name might be in format of tor-browser-linux32-4.0_LANG.tar.xz for 32bit system OR tor-browser-linux64-4.0_LANG.tar.xz for 64 bit system. The LANG in the file name will be different according to the language version you download. Ex. if you downloaded english tor browser version then the name would be tor-browser-linux64-4.0_en.tar.xz or something.. Just replace the name of file you have downloaded in the code. Like

Code: Select all

Thanks.

I believe my version was the 32-bit. Wonder if I might replace the "...linux64" above with "...linux32" ?

Gary Smith

neerajkolte

#7 Post by neerajkolte »

in this command

tar is the command.
-xvJf are the options.
and rest is the file name which you must have downloaded.
I gave en and linux64 just as an example.
please substitute it with what you have actually downloaded.

But I must advise you to post your problem with the pet on it's thread.
State your system info and puppy name and version so that more accurate help will be given.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 4.0 tested briefly in a fresh Precise Puppy 5.7.1 and seems OK.
Installed the .pet and it all started and ran. After the first run I did close and re-open just to allow everything to be fully loaded from the profile. Then I uninstalled from Puppy Package Manager as a test and the menu entry was removed. Installing from the tarball will be a little more complicated than using the .pet or the .sfs because you need to change ownerships and edit the launcher script to allow running as root. I don't use Tor Browser very much but on the odd occasion it is handy to have it there. I normally load it as .sfs via the boot manager.
Oscar in England

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @GarySmith

@NeerajKolte asked earlier for your PC's specs as he is trying to understand the platform you are using to give better specifics in helping you.

So let's see if I can refine the request to help you make maximum progress:
Please share
  • which distro are you using? (name and verson)
  • what PC are you running this on? Is it a 64bit PC or is it an older pre2005 PC?
It is VERY important that you provide these with most request or if someone should ask as they may be able to make suggestions which can ease your path to success.

BTW, sharing this does NOT expose you to any dangers. I say this as there exist lots of concerns about security.

Hope this is helpful

GarySmith

Accurate Information

#10 Post by GarySmith »

Don't want to discourage anyone but the terms and language and procedure is too much for me at this point--plus, it's too late for me. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for replying today.

Gary Smith

GarySmith

Re: Accurate Information

#11 Post by GarySmith »

GarySmith wrote:Don't want to discourage anyone but the terms and language and procedure is too much for me at this point--plus, it's too late for me. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for replying today.

Gary Smith

NEW DIRECTION--NEW DIRECTION--NEW DIRECTION FOR ME

How do I discover what kernel my Precise Puppy 5.7.1 is running?

It seems that may clear up all of my issues provided I download the correct version of VirtualBox.

Gary Smith

GarySmith

#12 Post by GarySmith »

The information is 3.9.11 kernel.

Gary Smith

neerajkolte

#13 Post by neerajkolte »

I think uname command shows kernel version.
type uname --help to know options.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

GarySmith

Installed VirtualBox

#14 Post by GarySmith »

John,

My thanks and to others but long research and tenacity has installed VirtualBox on my PC. These names are inaccurate but were necessary for installing VBox: Kernel 3.9.11, VirBox DEV and VirBox 3.2.14. Pretty sure there was another DEV installed before those.

Should be able to run my softwares without errors.

Thanks again.

Gary Smith

GarySmith

#15 Post by GarySmith »

My VirtualBox software has been installed and working as should.

The trouble is that Win98 had an error and not started. WinXP seemed to be too robust and perhaps I didn't have enough memory at only 512Mib (Mb)--too funny. Was able to get WinNT running after figuring out the the "Cntrl+Alt+Del" issues in Linux is really pressing the "Cntrl+Del", next mousing clicking the "OK" button to start. Only trouble is WinNT came before or doesn't have use of a DVD (or Life is Good DVD) so video quality can't be enhanced with drivers.

My VirtualBox situation could really stand improvement and I like running another operating system within Linux.

My thinking is that my Tor Browser (for Internet) and other applications should run as expected with a better VirtualBox and other CD-DVD. Perhaps I need to try and figure out why CorelDraw has a command error with "Copy" and shuts down the application :!: using Wine install.

Gary Smith