Slacko 5.5 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#361 Post by Sage »

5.4.0.5: At first, thought I was doing well booting from an SD card into 256Mb. Res. was OK but a little egg-like distorted, wi-fi recognised and working. Several utilities and PupControl working well.
That's when it refused to boot Firefox. Installed Opera - OK. Opera needed Flash. Get-Flash; not working, referred to PPM. d/l Flash from PPM. only one offered, might've been from the 10series? Restart X. Tray missing. Wrong res., right click gives wrong menus, Opera still bleating about wrong Flash. Only way out was via CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE. Didn't get around to loading the delta. All very disappointing. Maybe needs (a lot) more memory - even more disappointing. Got two clients running 5.3.7.7 very successfully and raving about Opera. Promised them an upgrade! Hey ho - over to you mick, the magician! And, please, back to Opera despite your reservations, it's just received top plaudits somewhere according to my spies who couldn't remember where they saw/read about it.
Otherwise, great weather in Wales, isn't it Terry - think they're wallowing in snow and ice in England - must be an omen for the big match!

Next day: Yup! It is a memory, or lack of it, feature. Stuff the board with 2G and all the above issues disappeared. Too much! Maybe a swap partition would've sufficed - don't have time to check that. The 11series Flash eventually turned up in the PPM and worked with Opera, except it showed a list of deps that proved utterly irrelevant and un-needed.
Just a 'fat trimming' exercise, then, mick! Perhaps, bring back slimSlacko?! We all know where bloat leads...

gulk

#362 Post by gulk »

playdayz wrote: <Add: Another thing I learned is that there is now a Netflix app for ubuntu (at least. It includes wine, silverlight, and mono so it is 250MB at least--but it did work.
Hi Playdayz, did you try that PPA on Ubuntu, or did you go hardcore and git Wine+patches, then full build from scratch?
I attempted getting Wine from git, apply patches, etc... on Slacko 5.3.1, but no dice, I got the dreaded netflix message error 5004.

I was wondering if you had any success on Slacko for Netflix?

Cheers.

PaulR

#363 Post by PaulR »

Just a quick 'thank you' to all who worked on Slacko 5.5 - it's been the best Linux experience I've had to date and makes my old Thinkpad feel like new!

Paul

don570

Gimp 2.8.4 will run on Slacko

#364 Post by don570 »

Gimp 2.8.4 will run on Slacko. I made some packages.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85159

Ted Dog

#365 Post by Ted Dog »

gulk wrote:
playdayz wrote: <Add: Another thing I learned is that there is now a Netflix app for ubuntu (at least. It includes wine, silverlight, and mono so it is 250MB at least--but it did work.
Hi Playdayz, did you try that PPA on Ubuntu, or did you go hardcore and git Wine+patches, then full build from scratch?
I attempted getting Wine from git, apply patches, etc... on Slacko 5.3.1, but no dice, I got the dreaded netflix message error 5004.

Cheers.
lol a lot of effort and patches went into that netflix app for ubuntu this is one thing I hope some puppy person will scarf over and create a single sfs file for the rest of us. :roll: would not be me, I lack the internet speed for download after download of the ppa

peebee

LxPup-SFS-5.5

#366 Post by peebee »

Transform Slacko 5.5 into LxPup-SFS-5.5 with an SFS add-on:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 833#694833

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mobeus

#367 Post by Mobeus »

Greetings,

I installed the Audacious sfs just to try out gtk3 and discovered that the gtk3 libgtksourceview is not included.

Does anyone know where a compatible lib can be found?

EDIT:
I found this by none other than big bass :)
http://bigbass-porteus.googlecode.com/f ... 1_PORT.tgz
It works just fine.

As a side note, I had to execute

Code: Select all

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
to get rid of this gtk-3 error: GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser' is not installed

Regards,
Mobeus
/root for the home team

gulk

#368 Post by gulk »

Ted Dog wrote: lol a lot of effort and patches went into that netflix app for ubuntu this is one thing I hope some puppy person will scarf over and create a single sfs file for the rest of us. :roll: would not be me, I lack the internet speed for download after download of the ppa
Hi Ted,

knowing that the PPA is Ubuntu special, I went through the effort of doing everything from scratch (downloading the specific wine version from GIT, applying the required patches, configured the build, built it, then same with installing the gecko engine for wine, the correct firefox etc...); all in all, took about a day including all the download and compile time.
But alas, all in vain, because Netflix still rejected the streaming request... Not sure how the others are faring on Slacko, but I refuse to install Ubuntu, because Slacko is that much better. For my netflix needs I have a Boxee Box aside or the wife's windo7 laptop. Obviously, I'd still rather like to be able to do it on Slacko.

Cheers,
gulk

gulk

Multimedia keyboard volume knob and multimedia buttons

#369 Post by gulk »

I have a Dell keyboard with a multimedia volume control knob and bunch of other shortcut buttons like browser, home directory, mute,etc... Amazingly, Slacko 5.5 had the volume knob working out of the box in default jwm.

But because one is never happy as is, I felt the need to install Compiz (which works great, thanks Mick'! for your setup script and SFS). Running either xwin dummy1 or xwin dummy2, I lost the ability to use the volume button.

For those who want both Compiz and multimedia buttons (same method should work for any keyboard), here is how I fixed my problem:
1) determine your key code
to do that, run

xbindkeys -k
The application will ask you to press the corresponding key (in my case, I turned the volume key of the keyboard in the up direction)
the output should look something like:

"(Scheme function)"
    m:0x10 + c:162
    Mod2 + NoSymbol
2) Modify

/root/.xbindkeysrc
Add the lines you got from running "xbindkeys -k"
Change the content in between the quotes with the function you would like executed when the key is pressed. For example, to get volume up action, I changed

"(Scheme function)"
    Mod2 + NoSymbol
to

"amixer -c0 sset Master 1+"
    Mod2 + NoSymbol
3) Repeat for all the keys you'd like a shortcut to with whatever application you'd like.

4) Enjoy multimedia keyboard in Linux ;)

Note for sound action:
Volume up:

amixer -c0 sset Master 1+
Volume down:

amixer -c0 sset Master 1-
Toggle mute:

amixer -c0 sset Master toggle
"Master" is my master PCM; it might be different for you; to get the correct name, just run:

amixer -c0 scontrols
"-c0" is your primary sound card; if you want a list of your available sound cards, just run:

aplay -l
Last edited by gulk on Thu 04 Apr 2013, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

gulk

Where does lxPanel get its menu information?

#370 Post by gulk »

<edit>Posted the question in a more appropriate topic (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 499#696499)</edit>

nooby

#371 Post by nooby »

Seems my HP/Compaq with AMD x2 and Novoux something
is too old for Slacko 5.5 it works good with this sfs
puppy_slacko_5.4.sfs from 1 December 2012
I now want to use Firefox 20 instead of FF17 but
seems my structure to have .mozilla on the /mnt/home
makes the updating confused. Not sure what to do about it.

another question about the time in lower right corner
looks like this

where do I edit so it looks like the Lupu 528 did

Sunday 07 April 2013 02.04

I have looked and looked and clicked on things
and used google and fighted this for days now
it is a banal thing but very annoying to not get sorry
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gulk

#372 Post by gulk »

nooby wrote:I now want to use Firefox 20 instead of FF17 but
seems my structure to have .mozilla on the /mnt/home
makes the updating confused. Not sure what to do about it.
Hi Nooby,

not sure how to solve your clock/date issue. I personally run Cairo-dock 3.2 which has a very nice clock plugin and removed the default clock. Note: I manually compiled cairo-dock 3.2 from scratch including plenty plugins; if anyone interested I could turn it into .pet.

Now, for your Firefox question, what I did and know works, was just keep the .mozilla in place, but replaced it with a symlink pointing to my separate mounted partition. Let me know if you need a step by step for your particular configuration.

Regards,
gulk

futwerk

#373 Post by futwerk »

new background.
Attachments
slackoja27,1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?b7b5b2ub5uryz54
(18.95 KiB) Downloaded 2586 times

nooby

#374 Post by nooby »

gulk thanks for wanting to help me.

No wthat I have got both the clock solved
and the FF20 solved by going back to Lupu
that makes me very reluctant to experiment
because that could destroy all the progress
I made on Lupu.

because Slacko would also use the .mozilla
that Lupu managed to change to FF20
which slacko would try to get back to FF17 again
so that would destroy it and I would have to start all over
with Lupu.

so I draw back my question until I know more about what is going on.

Just me trying to get it. Do you both have a symlink
pointing to the .mozilla and then a real .mozilla both in root

Seems odd to me I trust it is me not able to read you text

I am not a native user of English so easy to miss on grammar things :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#375 Post by playdayz »

Add: Another thing I learned is that there is now a Netflix app for ubuntu (at least. It includes wine, silverlight, and mono so it is 250MB at least--but it did work.

Gulk and Ted Dog, sorry to be so slow--I was elsewhere. I used a PPA, not one of Ubuntu's--here is a site with instructions. http://www.howtogeek.com/130372/how-to- ... sktop-app/

It has been working fine for me in U 12.10. The thing is that without it I would need to dual boot windows so my wife could use our laptop to watch Netflix--but with it I dual boot Ubuntu and Slacko. I don't think it even works for other Linux distros so I would not be optimistic about it working in Slacko. It might have a better chance in Upup Precise or Raring.

gulk

#376 Post by gulk »

Yeah, those are the instructions I used to build wine with proper patches from scratch, but without luck. I must be missing something.

gulk

#377 Post by gulk »

nooby wrote: I am not a native user of English so easy to miss on grammar things :)
I ain't native either, so my syntax might just be off ;)
nooby wrote:Just me trying to get it. Do you both have a symlink
pointing to the .mozilla and then a real .mozilla both in root

Seems odd to me I trust it is me not able to read you text
Well, basically I replaced the original location of .mozilla with a symlink to wherever it is convenient for me to have it.
For example, .mozilla is originally in /root, and I would like to have it in /mnt/sda4
1) Move the .mozilla to the location of your choice

cd ~
mv ./mozilla /mnt/sda4
2) Create the symlink

ln -s /mnt/sda4/.mozilla .mozilla
Hopes it helps alleviating any confusion you had
gulk

01micko

#378 Post by 01micko »

Hello nooby

Just for your information :wink:

From the release notes
The recommmend method to update Firefox and to add SeaMonkey to Slacko is to use the Updates Manager from the Setup menu. If you have already updated it is recommended to remove the older Firefox or Seamonkey package before you upgrade. This helps preserve savefile space.
This is because Firefox is a compiled (by Pat Volkerding, Slackware maintainer) version with official branding used with permission of Mozilla. Compiled versions do not update automatically in line with official versions (most likely built on Ubuntu or possibly Fedora).

It is a bad idea to use the same .mozilla folder as lupu. this is for compatibility reasons.

What gulk suggests is correct, however you could add to that giving it a unique name so you don't accidentally mix things up.

Maybe something like this (not tested)

cd ~
mv ./mozilla /mnt/sda4/mozilla-slacko
Or you could use /mnt/home instead of gulk's /mnt/sda4, but make sure Firefox is not running.

Then link it back.

ln -s /mnt/sda4/mozilla-slacko .mozilla
If you are worried about bookmarks and settings, use the Firefox Sync feature. It also syncs add ons, I use it between windows, android and various linux without issue.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

chrisyan

about terminal 256 color support

#379 Post by chrisyan »

hi, do you know how to get full 256 color support for urxvt? I managed to do it on precise 5.4.3, but no luck on slacko so far, i have terminfo file ready, i have tried rxvt-unicode-256color and xterm-256color, neither works except that when i input 'tput colors' it does give the number 256, but not really capable of showing all the colors.

i've also check the settings in .Xdefaults and ncurses package already installed, no idea why the color support not working?

chrisyan

#380 Post by chrisyan »

does anyone know how to solve 256 color problem? been waited days but 01micko seems to be offline all the time