puppy with rdesktop installed

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aouaas

puppy with rdesktop installed

#1 Post by aouaas »

hi. i installed puppy and i couldn't find rdesktop to connect remotely from my pc to puppy. tried to install vncserver but didn't have any luck, there was just a grey screen, no menu, no icons, that's why i want to use rdesktop. anyone knows a puppy project with rdesktop preinstalled?

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

If you want to remotely control a linux computer with a windows computer I suggest
Xming along with putty.

In that situation all the linux computer needs is ssh (or dropbear) running on an active network.
Here's how I did it with a raspberry pi 2
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 907#913907

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Slacko 6.3.2 32-bit has a program called rdesktop in /usr/bin.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(67.71 KiB) Downloaded 665 times

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

@GoingNUTs, several years ago presented an excellent package for this very need of allowing remote users to get a desktop on a Linux PC.

Once added, anyone merely, at another LAN PC (no matter if that PC is Windows/MACs/Linux (via rdesktop)/Android/Apple) to run the RDP client to gain access to the Linux PC with @GoingNUTs addition. Rdesktop is ONLY a client for accessing other PCs. It does NOTHING for allowing others to access the PC with Rdesktop. For that, @GoingNUTs solution paves the way to give a desktop to elsewhere on your LAN/WAN. In summary:
  • Install @GoingNUTs addition to your Linux PC;
  • Then, go to another PC and login to your Linux PC from the other PC without installing anything to your other PC (everything is already there for you to run).
The BEAUTY of his addition: In most every case, NO SOFTWARE ON REMOTE PCs NEED TO BE INSTALLED. They have the RDP client already builtin. In those cases, you merely run the RDP client, targeting the LAN address of the Linux PC with the addition. For phones/tablets, you will need to go to store to add the RDP client (also referred to as the Remote Desktop Client for Windows).

Really a neat solution for being able to access the PC from anywhere else in the home/office without any need to walk over to it.

Hope this is helpful.

aouaas

#5 Post by aouaas »

gcmartin wrote:@GoingNUTs, several years ago presented an excellent package for this very need of allowing remote users to get a desktop on a Linux PC.
didn't find anything about it on the forum. any link?

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »