Precise 5.4.3 in Acer A110: fan runs too fast (Solved)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Janwar Singh

Precise 5.4.3 in Acer A110: fan runs too fast (Solved)

#1 Post by Janwar Singh »

Hi everyone.
Over the weekend I decided to finally replace the outdated Linpus Lite OS on my Acer Aspire One A110. First I tried Slacko - looked great but almost impossible to get the touchpad working properly and kept hanging.
So then I tried Precise, and WOW! What a difference! This OS works on the AAO absolutely perfectly right out of the box. So, first I must congratulate you all on a very small, fast OS :)
My only small worry is that battery life is less than I'd expected, and I'm pretty sure this is down to the fan running quite hard continuously.
I've had a good look around the web and this forum and can see that the AAO requires the acerhdf module to be installed in order to control the fan in an economical way. But, so far I've not been able to find details of how to intall this with the Precise 5.4.3 version of Puppy.
Has anyone any advice or pointers to how I might be able to do this please?
Thank you.
Janwar.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

I just checked, with precise-5.4.1, and it definitely has the acerhdf.ko module. If you run, in console:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep acer
does it list acerhdf?

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are instructions for running Acer fan control here.

Janwar Singh

#4 Post by Janwar Singh »

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I've just run that command and it doesn't find acerhdf. I did a manual search too without grep and can't find any reference to fan except a line that says:

fan 1710 0

Puzzling...
Regards,
Janwar

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

The acerhdf module does not load automatically. See my link above to the instructions page.

Do NOT install the PET - it does not apply to Precise 543.

Janwar Singh

#6 Post by Janwar Singh »

Hi rcrsn51,
Thanks for your reply. Forgive me, but I'm confused - you said refer to the link but also not to install the pet - but the instructions you linked to do in fact instruct one to install the pet..? Am I correct in thinking that until a pet that is specific for 5.4.3 is available then there is no solution?
Thanks.
Regards,
Janwar

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since Precise 543 already has the acerhdf module, you do not need to install the PET.

Start following the instructions at "modprobe acerhdf".

Janwar Singh

#8 Post by Janwar Singh »

Hi again rcrsn51,
It worked! Fan now under control!
Many, many thanks for your patience and excellent help :)