Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 22:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
What puppy for an old EeePC 900?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
DJM

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 05:02    Post subject:  What puppy for an old EeePC 900?  

Hello, my wife has an old EeePC 900 which she uses everyday just to browse Internet and watch some YouTube videos. That's all. I installed on her machine Saluki 0.23 which is pretty good but still a bit slow especially when watching YouTube videos (they are not smooth). Is there a faster distro I can try? Any suggestion? Thank you!
ally

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 06:57    Post subject:  

hey DJM

I have the same model and a couple of 701s and run puppeee1.0 (there are 2 flavours depending on your processor)

they are VERY fast eeepc build specific from jemimah and are the dogs danglies

the only problem I've had is with chrome not handling video too well so I installed firefox

HIGHLY recommended, look here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Puppeee/Puppeee1.0/

Smile
DJM

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 07:34    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
hey DJM

they are VERY fast eeepc build specific from jemimah and are the dogs danglies

HIGHLY recommended, look here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Puppeee/Puppeee1.0/
Smile

Hi Ally and thank you. Yeah I read everywhere that Jemimah's builds are generally great and very fast. This is why I installed Saluki (Jemimah's last work). Do you think Puppeee (even if very old now) will perform better than Saluki on my old Eee PC 900?
teknoid

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 08:35    Post subject:  

I'm waiting for your feedback about saluki.
Because i find an old EEEPC 701.

Some information about PUPPEEE Here

Regards
DJM

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 09:48    Post subject:  

teknoid wrote:
I'm waiting for your feedback about saluki.
Regards

As I wrote in my first post, I alread installed Saluki. It's very good but Youtube videos are not smooth, and I tried with all the browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Midori, etc.).

Last edited by DJM on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 10:02; edited 1 time in total
john biles

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 09:58    Post subject:  

Hello DJM,
I developed Legacy OS 4 Mini for my EeePC 900A. Youtube etc all run fine and the installed Firefox version 5.0 will update itself to version 16.0 by clicking on help in firefox. Flash 11, Java codecs all come preinstalled. You'll have to install the Wifi Drivers after install. Also a reboot will be needed to make Wifi work.

Visit Legacy's homepage for reviews and more info.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LegacyOS

DJM

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 10:20    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello DJM,
I developed Legacy OS 4 Mini for my EeePC 900A. Youtube etc all run fine and the installed Firefox version 5.0 will update itself to version 16.0 by clicking on help in firefox. Flash 11, Java codecs all come preinstalled.

Great, is Legacy OS faster than Puppeee?

john biles wrote:

You'll have to install the Wifi Drivers after install. Also a reboot will be needed to make Wifi work.

Ehm... you know where to get the latest WiFi drivers for EeePC 900?
ally

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:54    Post subject:  

I suggest you download and give them a go and see which you prefer

I did try a few other builds but found the bespoke nature of puppeee worked too well!

sorry john, I hadn't tried legacy on the eeepc so cannot comment although I have been impressed with it when I tested on another machine, it is soon to be shipped on a laptop for my nephew/nieces

look forward to seeing your new build

Smile
ally

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:17    Post subject:  

DJM see your inbox

atheros pet should be there

Smile
Volhout

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 14:10    Post subject: 1001ha  

I run slacks 5.3.3 on my 1001ha eeePC. I know of puppeee, have Used it for over 1 year, but like the stability of Slacko better.
ally

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 14:34    Post subject:  

I've also used slacko 5.3.3 (my main/preferred distro) but find puppeee works better with screen resolutions and hardware

it's well worth a play though, slacko has worked (well) with all the devices I have from p3 laptops, dual core desktops/laptops

still prefer puppeee on the eee though!

Smile
DJM

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 18:16    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello DJM,
I developed Legacy OS 4 Mini for my EeePC 900A. Youtube etc all run fine and the installed Firefox version 5.0 will update itself to version 16.0 by clicking on help in firefox.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LegacyOS

Hi John, so I installed Legacy OS this afternoon and I'm very impressed: it is really so fast, this is absolutely the best distro I tried on EeePC till now, congrats man!! I only had some little problems with wi-fi as I have a WPA2 and Pwireless doesn't support it so I installed Pwireless 2 and everthing is fine now Wink Another problem is with fonts: I updated Firefox from v5.0 to v12.0 (not 16.0, the automatic update installs v12.0) but I still can't see chinese chars on websites. Do you know of any .pet to display chinese fonts? Also, talking about chinese, I need to install some chinese input app so my wife can write in chinese. On Saluki I had installed fctix or SCIM for this but on Legacy OS noone of them seem to work... Sad Any help? Thank you!
john biles

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 05:33    Post subject:  

Hello DJM,
First in relation to Firefox I've had Legacy OS 4 Mini installed on my EeePC for over a year and each time a new version of Firefox was released it updated. I'm assuming that's why it stopped at version 16 and not 12 like it did with you.

In Legacy all Apps I make available are in tar.gz and only need to be unzipped to / and no where else.

You'll find a install guide PDF on this as well as an Asian-Font-Pack tar.gz I've just created for you. Follow this link

Download Applications + Install guide from Here: http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/LegacyOS/

You'll need to enter user = puppy password = linux

Once unzipped open Firefox and navigate to any Chinese site and see if all is good.

Quote:
Also, talking about chinese, I need to install some chinese input app so my wife can write in chinese. On Saluki I had installed fctix or SCIM for this but on Legacy OS noone of them seem to work...

Your other Chinese problem any links to apps. I'll see what I can do but make no promises...

Lastly what Pwireless 2 pet did you install to get wpa2 working. I'll test it and add it to the Repository.

DJM

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 05:51    Post subject:  

john biles wrote:
Hello DJM,
an Asian-Font-Pack tar.gz I've just created for you.

Thank you! Smile

john biles wrote:

Lastly what Pwireless 2 pet did you install to get wpa2 working. I'll test it and add it to the Repository.

I installed the one at http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pwireless and works just fine.
john biles

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 06:15    Post subject:  

Hello DJM,
Thanks for Pwireless 2 link tested and works fine. Will add to Repository. Included in the Asian-Font-Pack is Chinese, Korean and Japanese Fonts.
They are working fine for me in testing.

What does your wife think...

Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: