sailfish Operating System kind of Linux but for smart phones

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
nooby

sailfish Operating System kind of Linux but for smart phones

#1 Post by nooby »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS

Sailfish will be compatible with Android apps thanks to built in Alien Dalvik layer from Myriad Group, known for running Android apps with the Nokia N9. Many Android applications will run on Jolla devices unchanged. To take advantage of all UI and other features of Sailfish OS and make applications fast they may need porting to native Qt/QML, there are extensive guides available on porting to Qt/QML. The same refers to using MeeGo, including MeeGo Harmattan, applications on Jolla devices.
Although Sailfish has been presented first for mobile use with upcoming smartphones by Jolla, as a continuation of MeeGo and using Mer core and the open source philosophy behind them both, it is also an OS for general purposes including devices such as smart televisions, computers, laptops, netbooks, tablets, navigations, cameras, household devices of many kinds, for automotive in cars and IVI, for sailing purposes in yachts and boats, and others. The Sailfish Linux OS in the same way as the MeeGo and the Mer projects it is not limited to use in mobiles only, but can be used with other forms of consumer electronics.
/quote

Does any of you follow this trend? TizenOS is another such new mix?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

Sailfish appears to be compatible with maemo/meego -using QT libraries, oh yuck, oh yuck.

Tizen is using html5 -probably a very good thing in the long run, plus libraries from the enlightenment window manager -nice as it gives incentive to keep enlightenment alive. Basically, tizen means the OS all runs from a browser kinda like a kiosk OS..

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Thanks for explaining but it is sad that sailfish is done that way.
And Tizen only being a web thing and not a real linux?

amigo

#4 Post by amigo »

Tizen is not a web-based set of apps. The applications are written in html5 which means that an html page becomes an application -which runs from and on the local machine. I'm guessing they have some server components to hanlde real commands -just like CGI does.

I'll try to give you an example -say there *is* a web-application out there that you like and can get a copy of. If you run a web-server on your machine and have that web-app copied into the area which your server works from, then you can 'browse' to that app and use it -right from your machine instead of over the internet.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Ah Okay I think I get that.
Would the server not make it vulnerable to exploits?

Mozilla WebOS does that works same as Tizen then?