Printing from Linux to shared Windows printer

Using applications, configuring, problems
n0ukf

Printing from Linux to shared Windows printer

#1 Post by n0ukf »

CUPS can't seem to find the shared printer on the Windows machines (for that matter, it couldn't find a network printer either, I had to tell it the ip address). How do I find the path through the computer with the desired shared printer? looking at properties in Windows, I see nothing like a shared pathname (not just the printer's shared name).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

Hotdog

#2 Post by Hotdog »

n0ukf,

CUPS is not very smart about finding printers. Here is how I set up CUPS for a shared Windows printer:

Code: Select all

smbc://192.168.1.100/HP Color LaserJet 4500 PS
The smbc is for 'samba connection', the 192.168.1.100 is the address of the machine which is sharing its printer and the remainder is the exact name of the printer as known by its host.

I have had CUPS to not even find a printer connected to the computer on which CUPS is running.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

n0ukf

#3 Post by n0ukf »

Apple software, almost as good as Microsoft software. Huh? :wink: :lol:
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

As Hotdog said to an extent of first you have to use Samba. The printer has to be shared in Windows. And naturally the windows PC has to be powered up all the time without going to suspend mode.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

CUPS does not auto-detect Windows shared printers. Read here under "Connecting to a Windows Shared Printer".

It explains how to find the correct device names in Windows.
As Hotdog said to an extent of first you have to use Samba.
Just to be clear, you do NOT need to install a Samba package. The necessary Samba client tools are already in Puppy.