Way to cd-boot with another 2fs, but not multisess. cd?

Booting, installing, newbie
tartak

Way to cd-boot with another 2fs, but not multisess. cd?

#1 Post by tartak »

Hello fellow puppies!

Sorry for topic, I was limited on space.

I'm doing for my father something like kiosk distribution of Puppy to safebrowse banks (iptables set for bank ip&verisign only, no customization allowed, etc).

I tried:
- remaster cd from current session, burn on cd, boot - works ok.
- burn iso over flashcard (with unetbootin on win) , save session, set card to readonly mechanical switch - works ok. (i'm aware this is switch is merely suggestion, not actual stop)

My next idea was to:
- burn my remastered cd (with all neccesary iptables settings/bookmarks etc) with
additional session generated elsewhere (where I would have my bank account ids(not pass) on desktop for easy copy/paste)

To do that i used Isomaster, added to my iso my session file, and wanted to boot. Original experiment failed, so now I'm testing this on VM.
Here's result (same happened on real burned cd, and on VM i'm using now):

Which could be expected, but I did not thought he will want to save to this device after only reading. I thought pfix=ram could readonly all 2fs files (and keep changes on ramfile), but it should be called pfix=ignore_savestates, as that's what it does. (to be honest I would expect that(ignoring savestates) from pfix=clean, but that's not the point of this thread)

I read what I could above disabling snapmergepuppy in rc.shutdown, disabling periodic saves etc (what I did), but I did not expect boot time saving.

What I want to do is:
- burn cd with iso and sessionfile once (might be twice if neccesary) and then never burn anything else.

My questions are: is multisession cd, the only way to boot from cd with additional 2fs's?
If so does it try to write during boot (and can it be disabled)? Would it scream similar error as above if I'd finalize multi-sess-cd?

Or will just some combination of boot parameters be enough?

(I will experiment on my own, just don't want to "waste" another cd (or couple of those). If I don't find it I will just make new iso file for each potential customization if that's neccesary)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Why don't you just burn a multisession CD, or better, DVD, using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd, and play around with it to see if you can make it do what you want? A rewritable CD or DVD works fine if you have one. Also, Burniso2cd seems to work best if you copy the Puppy iso to /tmp and tell Burniso2cd it's there.