How to choose the correct ATI Radeon video driver?

Booting, installing, newbie
AQUAR

How to choose the correct ATI Radeon video driver?

#1 Post by AQUAR »

Hi All,
I am totally new to Linux and especially Puppy Linux.

Been trying lots of different flavours of tiny Linux OS's, to set up a safer online environment (than MS windows).
In the end I decided on macpuppy because it looks and works fantastic.

I used xorgwizard to set the screen resolution to 1920X1080X24.
The hardware probe results in auto setting the video driver to ATI Radeon (it matches the video card).
The harware probe provides no monitor details and so I enter its properties manually. (the monitor is connected via a DSub KVM switch)

Everything is fine but.

Issue:

If I "choose" the ATI Radeon driver manually in Xorgwizard it all fails.
The video test is ignored and simply times out.
The choosen video driver is not added to Xorg and the video system remains driverless.

This happens on both my PC's (different Gigabyte MOBO's and ATI cards).

Is this a bug with XorgWizard?
I saw a post to do with kernel mode settings, might this be set differently when using these 2 ways of setting up the video system.

I posted this question on the MacPup forum but they mentioned it was stock puppy.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If I "choose" the ATI Radeon driver manually in Xorgwizard it all fails.
The video test is ignored and simply times out.
The choosen video driver is not added to Xorg and the video system remains driverless.

This happens on both my PC's (different Gigabyte MOBO's and ATI cards).
This is what happens if Xorgwizard is trying to us a graphics driver that is not compatible with your graphics hardware.
I know you are selecting ATI Radeon driver, however that Radeon driver may not support your specific hardware. (this one is a general good fit for ATI graphics, but does not work for all)
Also know, ATI support for Linux is a little iffy. There drivers are very hardware specific (one driver does not fit all) In fact support for older hardware is not in the newest drivers.
I would check the Puppy Package Manager in Macpup and see if it has any specific ATI graphic drivers to download and try.
If your hardware is not very new, look for driver that is an older version.
The hardware probe results in auto setting the video driver to ATI Radeon
This could be using a different driver. There are some generic drivers that work. The probe option may be selecting one of them. When you use the choose option, it lists all drivers that should be available.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

AQUAR

#3 Post by AQUAR »

Thanks bigpup,

That explains why the XorgWizard behaves without response.

I was assuming that the auto selected video driver that identifies as "ATI Radeon" is the same as the "ATI Radeon" driver in the choose video driver dialog.
And following on that the issue might be in the way the auto selected driver is setup differently than by the manual approach.

If all the available video drivers are shown in the choose video driver dialog, then one of them must work and be cloaked as "ATI Radeon".

Video cards are HD5670 and HD3600 (ie not ancient)

The driver that is auto selected/setup works without any issues so I am happy, but stilll a little bit curious with the manual issue.

AQUAR

#4 Post by AQUAR »

When using "choose" no video driver gets setup or selected - not even the vesa driver.

The vesa driver does work on my ATI cards if I go directly to it.

Something is broke!

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I do not use Macpuppy, but it may have it's own way of doing stuff. Also, it is still in development, so may have bugs.

Try running Xorgwizard by dropping to a prompt.
menu->shutdown->exit to prompt
Type Xorgwizard
Hit enter to run.

Sometimes a reboot is needed for changes with Xorgwizard to work.
YaPI(any iso installer)

tytower

#6 Post by tytower »

This may not be relevant but when you get a list of compatible resolutions the lowest is on top .
I slide down the list to the last one and select it. You might have done this anyway , I am not clear on that.

AQUAR

#7 Post by AQUAR »

@ bigpup
I first asked the macpuppy guy about Xorg and he said it was stock puppy. But maybe this puplet has introduced some bug that the developer is unaware of.

Does it still work with the normal puppy linux?
If it does then I'll just mention it again on the MacPup forum for further consideration.

Xorg from the command prompt ill behaves the same.

@ tytower
Yes I do go down the list and choose the last option (manually set up the monitor).
Also tried some of the pre-configured resolutions and tweaking the refresh.
All options available through the "Choose" dialog are rejected.

Thanks.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Have you tried this?
Sometimes a reboot is needed for changes with Xorgwizard to work.
Does it still work with the normal puppy linux?
If it does then I'll just mention it again on the MacPup forum for further consideration.
MacPup is based on an older version of Precise Puppy. There has been a lot of bug fixing and updating to Precise. There could be a bug in MacPup.
Posting the problem to the MacPup forum would be a good idea.

The choose option in Xorgwizard has always been a little problematic. It works, but is very dependent on you choosing the proper driver and resolution setting.
YaPI(any iso installer)

AQUAR

#9 Post by AQUAR »

@ bigpup

I tried a reboot as well, straight after running XorgWizard, it also was a no go.

I'll mention this minor issue again in the MacPup forum and leave for them to act on (if they wish).

With so many puplets I might try a few more, although MacPup has a nice uncluttered desktop.

Thanks again.

`f00

#10 Post by `f00 »

@AQUAR
If xorgwizard is 'acting up', you might try How to edit the xorg.conf file, nice thing about doing it that way is it avoids the wizard and you only need to re-X :) .. if you manage to get to a desktop environment, that is. Also possible to do at the cli if you're familiar with that

"uncluttered desktop" - go for it!, quite a few window managers start and run leaner without a rox pinboard (unless you really want the drag'n'drop stuff and standard driveicons .. even then you can do a roxpin as an on-demand item rather than have it load by default per the usual .xinitrc).

hth

AQUAR

#11 Post by AQUAR »

@foo

I am definitely new to Linux and find everything strange, especially the file system presentation. But no problem, I can find my way around computers as long as the gurus don't require me to take too much of a leap. Using the CLI is fine as long as I can find the relevant commands.

I have looked at the xorg file and see how its structured and can be altered. I tried puppy precise 5.4.3 instead of Macpup, as per suggestion on the Macpup forum, and it also fails in the XOrgWizard Choose department.

So I edited Xorg in precise puppy but it refuses to recognise the higher screen resolution I set, unlike Macpup. Presumably the ATI radeon driver of Macpup is older and better suited to my hardware.

Not sure what you mean by rox pinboard but I'll homework it and see how it relateds to uncluttered desktops.

All this aside, the issue with Macpup 529 was not that I couldn't set up Xorg but that the Xorgwizard Choose option just doesn't work. And ditto now for precise puppy 5.4.3. And wondered if this was a bug.