How to connect to shared printer?

Using applications, configuring, problems
JamesTheAwesomeDude

How to connect to shared printer?

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I have a Brother HL-2070N connected via USB to a computer running Windows XP. Both that computer and mine are connected wirelessly to the same router, and both computers have manually assigned (aka static) local IP's. The printer has been Shared, and has been used successfully over the network before.

I'm running Puppy Linux Lucid 528, with CUPS 1.4.3. (My computer also runs Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04, both of which have successfully connected to and printed on the printer.)

I've tried the setup in this thread, but it is having some trouble connecting to the printer. (NOTE: Our netbook, which is running Windows 7, also ran into a similar error, which was never resolved.)

rcrsn51

Re: How to connect to shared printer?

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:but it is having some trouble connecting to the printer.
Please provide details. What exactly have you tried?

1. Have you connected the printer directly to your Puppy machine by USB? This is necessary to ensure that you have the correct driver. To simplify things, I have posted an HL-2070N driver PET here.

2. CUPS does not auto-detect Windows shared printers. Read the section here about connecting to Windows shared printers.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#3 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Aha. Figured it out. Turns out I was actually supposed to use the smbc:// protocol. (smbc://192.168.2.6/BrotherH)

I'm glad I figured it out, because my computer is on the other side of the house from the printer. :|