XP PRO password forgotten! How to fix?

Promote Puppy !
benny7440

XP PRO password forgotten! How to fix?

#1 Post by benny7440 »

...after many month without been even turned on due to a damaged screen.

I happened to make that old pc start again after finding a screen & reinserting the RAMS. That's not my pc but it's needed in a car shop because it contains very useful program inside (don't know what program).

I've read about ophcrack & it should run under linux. Where I can download it to try to see if I finish this issue?

PS. I've read about other alternatives that 'erases' the pwd in a windows installation, which makes me think about the possibility of running Puppy, for ex., getting access to that SAM file & erase the pwd location's contents. I know, this's the riskiest method but, can it be done like so?

Thanks to any that has some useful info on this!

PSS. I know the owner & that pc has been his since 2003.

Krishnamurti Naskar

#2 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

@benny7440,
1)Ophcrack is a distro itself,not an app!

2)Ophcrack is a Windows password cracker based on a time-memory trade-off using rainbow ... Free tables available for Windows XP, Vista and 7.

go to http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/downloa ... ype=livecd

choose yours.
burn to disc/usb pen.
done.
:wink:

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

benny7440

#4 Post by benny7440 »

It has occured to me that since that machine is trying to boot WinXP PRO I might be able to intervene with its menu.lst file & dual (or triple) boot it, been Ophcrack one of them. I don't know what caveats the PRO version would have for doing this but any ideas are welcome.

As far as I understand it Ophcrack should be considered an OS in itself & that's why cannot be run as an ordinary api: is this correct?

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

DPUP5520

#5 Post by DPUP5520 »

you can use PupRescue Precise in order to delete your xp password using chntpw

First mount your XP drive and then type the following into a terminal

chntpw -i /mnt/sdXY/Windows/system32/config/SAM

*windows may be WINDOWS or Windows depending on your system

*system32 may be with a lower case s or uppercase S depending on your system

*X is the drive letter and Y is the drive number

From there just follow the instructions in the terminal
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

rg66

#6 Post by rg66 »

I've used this many times and it works, although, a newer comp with a SATA drive might need drivers which should be available from the same site.

Have you tried to log in as administrator with a blank password? You'd be surprised how many times it works.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

Hiren's can do it.

Password/Key Tools

Kon-Boot 1.0 Bypass Login Password of Windows (32bit, any password) and Linux login as kon-usr.

NTPWD Utility to reset windows nt/2000/xp administrator/user password.

NTPWEdit 0.3 Password editor for Windows NT based systems to change or remove passwords for local system accounts.

Offline NT Password Changer 2011-05-11 Utility to reset/unlock windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 administrator/user password.

Password Renew 1.1 Utility to set/reset windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 (32bit only) passwords.

WindowsGate 1.1 Enables/Disables Windows logon password validation.

XP Key Reader 2.7 Can decode the XP-key on Local or Remote systems.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Chris.

benny7440

#8 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks DPUP5520, rg66 & cthisbear for replying!
To DPUP5520: Your solution seems to be very complete but, just for removing a Win XP pwd, I was thinking that even a little program in a 3.5" diskette might do --could be wrong on this!

To rg66: The only acct. available there is the Administrator (with an unknown pwd) &, yes, I tried it many times already. I think I'm inclined to try the 'pogostick' method first.

To cthisbear: I think that many years ago I read about it & it looked then very good, now it looks even better. The problem is that it's a too powerful tool for the job. I strive to keep things as simple as possible. That's why I inquired above about manually editing the Registry ...

dk60902

#9 Post by dk60902 »

You can get chntpw on the puppy package managers on Slacko or Lupu, I think.

Icyos made a youtube tutorial on this.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

benny7440

#10 Post by benny7440 »

Thank you for replying, dk60902!

I used the PPM (PL 5.28) & didn't find chntpw in there. I'm almost sure that someone here has made a version fit for Puppy 5 series already. It's located somewhere onknown to me though, unless Puppy can use a version located in an Ubuntu repository (which I'm not very sure, yet).

Since the Win machine is away from my place & there's no internet connection I need to locate the app, download it to a pendrive and, once I get there do you think I can use either a PL 431 Live CD that boots there as well as a bootable DSL pendrive that also boots there to run that app?

Note: DSL uses Knopix.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!

kurtdriver

#11 Post by kurtdriver »

If you're running Puppy Precise just type "ophcrack" into the ppm in install the app from the Ubuntu-precise-universe repo.

benny7440

#12 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying, kurtdriver!

To be precise I'm running PL 5.28.005 now. It's the newest version I've.

All this is happening within a VAIO notebook, so I don't have access to a diskette as the machine to be healed has for other options available.

BTW, from where I can get the 'chntpw'?

Could 'ophcrack' be run within a pendrive if I'm using PL431 live cd? I mean, if I can d/l it in a pendrive here, take it to that machine, run PL431 there & then use ophcrack from the usb there to solve the issue?

Thanks for any info/ideas!

Edit: It has occured to me the possibility of running, say, PL431 from the live cd there, shrinking the partition that Windows occupies now & to 'put' in that new partition, say, ubcd, BartPE or something else useful for dealing with this issue; then, edit the menu.lst file in windows as well as the boot file there to make it a dual (triple?) boot system...

If it can be done (there're many variants to do this) then there's the issue of 'what to extract from the iso file & where/how to put it in order to enable it to boot' --workable.

Do anyone here has an opinion in favor of this approach or else?
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

dk60902

#13 Post by dk60902 »

benny7440 wrote:Thank you for replying, dk60902!

I used the PPM (PL 5.28) & didn't find chntpw in there. I'm almost sure that someone here has made a version fit for Puppy 5 series already. It's located somewhere onknown to me though, unless Puppy can use a version located in an Ubuntu repository (which I'm not very sure, yet).

Since the Win machine is away from my place & there's no internet connection I need to locate the app, download it to a pendrive and, once I get there do you think I can use either a PL 431 Live CD that boots there as well as a bootable DSL pendrive that also boots there to run that app?

Note: DSL uses Knopix.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!
If I remember correctly, I found it in Lupu 5.2.5, and Slacko 5.3.3. I couldn't find it in 5.28 despite IcyOS's tutorial showing it.

You can always download Hiran's bootcd. There is a password recovery utility.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

kurtdriver

#14 Post by kurtdriver »

You could run either of those programs from a live cd, without re-mastering. Boot up, download the program and run it. It all sits in RAM, so when you reboot it's gone.

kurtdriver

#15 Post by kurtdriver »

benny7440 wrote:Thanks for replying, kurtdriver!
To be precise I'm running PL 5.28.005 now. It's the newest version I've.
I don't think you understood, sorry I didn't catch it yesterday, "Puppy Precise" is a version of Puppy that can access the Ubuntu repos. Ophcrack is the repo I listed above. Good Luck!

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyPrecise

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

@benny7440: Did you ever look at this?
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
It is a Live CD and uses chntpw.

benny7440

#17 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying dk60902, kurtdriver & rcrsn51!

First to dk60902: I went to Hirens website to check what it contains & looks hefty! I prefer a smaller solution, for now.

To kurtdriver: I'm looking now at 'chntpw' as a possible best solution since this's a one-time problem for me. The thing is to d/l, installing it in a pendrive & go there & been able to use it...

To rcrsn51: Yes I looked at it a couple of times already. Think something that has slowed me down with this is the idea of finding, resetting (clearing) a small space within a file & saving it back seems to be very common a task but, for some reason with this issue its' complexity is augmented drastically. The thing is clearly that I don't understand the problem properly... &, since that machine is needed for a serious business is not the platform (for me) to try 'inventing'.

Thanks again! In at most 2 days more I'll decide one way or another. I'll post the results below. If any other ideas/insights pops up include them below because I'll be watching.

Edit: BTW, is it possible to use the following with PL431 &/or PL528 without having to add anything extra to the referenced Puppy?
sudo apt-get install chntpw
I already tried this command with & without the sudo option but it failed to execute in PL 528.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

cthisbear

#18 Post by cthisbear »

Why not use Konboot in Hiren's boot cd to
boot straight into Windows.

how-to-reset-windows-administrator-password-kon-boot-ubuntu

http://hk.hezy.net/video/10459/how-to-r ... t-ubuntu-/

Chris

benny7440

#19 Post by benny7440 »

To dk60902: I tried finding 'chntpw' from the PL525 PPM & it isn't there. Thanks anyway, you made me remember that I have other distros at my reach right here...
[/b]

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

This would probably suffice and shouldn't need many, if any- dependencies.