XP PRO password forgotten! How to fix?

Promote Puppy !
Semme

#31 Post by Semme »

528 reference. I took this as not having internet access. Guess not..
Is it possible to use the following with PL431 &/or PL528 without having to add anything extra?
Continue with whatever you're busy with cause there's more than enough to do something with here.

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

Dead'in the water or.. wha-happen? Still nuthin Benny, huh? You've gotten nowhere with this..

Perhaps then you'll tell us which :lol: universe you're from.. I'd like to get in on this time-line..
In at most 2 days more I'll decide..

benny7440

#33 Post by benny7440 »

Thank you for your interest, Semme!

I've been VERY busy with this issue because it has turned out to be NOW more than at the beginning a personal thing. First I thought that this was something I could do in < 5 hrs, when a few days later I realized I'd invested ~12 hrs on this it jumped to the personal category.

After that point in time I spent increasingly more time until now I'm spent, I almost all day long I think about this.

See the flow as I've experienced it:
1) after many months that machine with another monitor & cleaned RAMS resurrected;
2) only one Administrator acct but no recollection of what it was;
3) after about a keek of reading & searching my choice was to try first chntpw but even though it started OK there had not the driver for that HDD;
4) decided to switch app & konboot was it & encountered dificulty making a diskette that could be run there so decided to try to boot konboot right from the cfcard;
5) decided to give grub4dos a try & the experience has been very bad, after ~3 days trying to learn how to configure it right, even though it's booting up it can't start konboot nor DSL (the only choices I've played with until now). I've googled for info on it but the said "Tutorials" & info pages are lacking in structures & completeness at a high degree.

No, Semme, I'm still pushing the cart. Even though I might be taking ~2 days off because I've to go to another town for the said period of time, I'm sure I will be thinking on this... 8)
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#34 Post by Semme »

Benny.. C'mon now- get a grip. CAN the machine in question boot from cdrom or not?

Can you use it or another box (presumably a neighbors) to burn the iso image?

The NTPassword image isn't rocket science. Unzip the iso'n burn..

If you need to burn from Linux- speak up!

Before the next page already..

benny7440

#35 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying Semme!

As a wrap-on-all: The Sick-Mach boots from usb (DSL) & from the cdrom drive (Lupu - think it was 528) AWA Ubuntu 8.10. There's no access to the web there nor has it a cd burner. It has a 3.5" diskette drive. Since I had quiet a few of those around without any immediate use for them but no unused cdroms & almost non rewritable ones it was mainly for this reason I, first read about the issue for a few days &, finally, decided the ophcrack was my Ist choice, konboot the IInd & trying to d/l + install into a cfcard, say HBCD, the IIIrd.

Haven't managed to install konboot into a 3.5 diskette yet, for doing this HERE I've to use the HP laptop (which is the only computer with such a drive I've) & that only boots from the usb drive (DSL). Have various puppies frugally installed here at the VAIO but haven't found a way to boot that HP with any of them, including the Lupu cdrom that boots the Sick one. ??? Iǘe even tried PXE bootin the HP but it never finishes.

I've stumbled upon a VERY OLD BartPE cdrom & I'm planning to go there with it to see if I can do some useful work with it. I don't remember what can be done with it but many years ago it solved an issue I had here with another VAIO that used to run WinXP. I'll see what happens & will post anything relevant.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#36 Post by Semme »

Benny, place these on your DSL pendrive, then install'em after booting 528. You'll have your chntpw all set to go..
Do you think if I d/l this file, put it within my DSL pendrive (which boots already there) it will run under DSL?
Hey, gotta ask >> You *will* know what you're doing once you're finally underway, right?

benny7440

#37 Post by benny7440 »

Sorry for been so late with my reply.

I think, Semme, that you're confused with respect as to what is hiding inside that pendrive: it's DSL. I use this to boot up that HP (another machine different from the one I'm using right now, which happens to be a VAIO notebook).

According to your last post you suggest me to d/l & install something in that pendrive after I've booted up 528; the problem is that I think DSL would be needed to install something that , later on, is expected to be run by/with DSL at another machine. In any case, I don't have an idea if I can trully install something for DSL to use from any Puppy.

BTW, chntpw already ran at the patient-machine. The problem was that it lacks the necessary disk-drivers for recognizing that unit, so it's/I'm blind... I kept reading at the pogostick site & it appears that there might be a solution if I find the appropriate third-party disk driver to include it, somehow, in the list already present. This last thing isn't clear for me so I haven't tried it, yet. I'm working on it...
[/b]