Puppy as a wifi access point

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
mahaju

#16 Post by mahaju »

I just realised I forgot about something more important
How do i stop internet sharing through wifi?
Clicking on shareinter through the file manager again seems to remove the green circle from it's icon, but the laptop wifi is still sharing it's internet

SFR

#17 Post by SFR »

mahaju wrote:WOW it's working
Thanks a lot :) ^___^
the good thing is I can use the Internet both on the computer and the tablet now
Thank you soooo much
Just want to make sure about one thing though
To change the name of the network that the tablet sees in the Wifi list, I have to change

Code: Select all

ssid=NetLink

and to change the password, I have to change

wpa_passphrase=SomePassword 
Is this all that I need to do? (I just want to make sure, as I have no idea what is happenning behind the scenes, or how do I trouble shoot it if something goes wrong
I am actually confused about this part of the original post
if encryption, what passphrase. Then you should convert your chosen ASCII passphrase into its true 64 digit hex value, using this command -
Code:
wpa_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase>
Do I need to worry about this if I use wpa_passphrase=SomePassword in the conf file?
Well, I hope that's all what's needed.
But actually, at this point you know as much as I do if it comes for setting the whole thing up.

BTW, this article was helpful when I was fiddling with hostapd.conf:
http://nims11.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/ ... ess-point/

Glad could help! :)
I just realised I forgot about something more important
How do i stop internet sharing through wifi?
Clicking on shareinter through the file manager again seems to remove the green circle from it's icon, but the laptop wifi is still sharing it's internet
Hmm, that's odd... Try this, I'm using it to completely disable sharing and access point:

#!/bin/bash

# To determine kernel wireless driver, use this:
# lspci -k | grep -A3 -i 'wireless'

DRIVER=rtl8192se

/root/my-roxapps/shareInternet/AppRun
killall hostapd

rmmod $DRIVER
sleep 1
modprobe $DRIVER
Just replace DRIVER= with yours.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

mahaju wrote:Do I need to worry about this if I use wpa_passphrase=SomePassword in the conf file?
No, the passphrase will generally work fine.
It's just an added degree of reliability if you can pre-convert the passphrase into its equivalent hex value - since hostapd must eventually do this conversion, anyway.

To be clear, the configuration line for the passphrase is -
"wpa_passphrase="

and the configuration line for the equivalent hex value is-
"wpa_psk="

You should comment out whichever line is not being used.

bill

Puppy as a wifi access point

#19 Post by bill »

Trying this in Slacko 531but according to the Package Manager I am missing these.
libssl.so.1 and libcrypto.so.1

are these required or is the PPM telling me a tale? cheers

Snacktime

TP-Link TL-WN722N

#20 Post by Snacktime »

For the TP-Link TL-WN722N:

I got it working in AP mode. My installed package list looks like:

iw-0.9.9 (from forum)
libnl3-3.2.11 (from package manager)
hostapd-2.0
bridge-utils-1.5

There's an updated version of iw in the package manager but I haven't tried it yet since the old version works. The WN722N throws the same (8B06) error code that mahaju ran into. It doesn't switch modes with iwconfig. I think the nl80211 driver it uses is looking for iw and iw's dependent libnl so that hostapd can switch the mode automatically when it runs. Turn hostapd on in a second terminal before you run the wlan0 bridge command. That will let it go through. Then killall hostapd to turn it off and run the last commands to finalize the bridge. Afterwards start hostapd again and you'll be able to connect.

Kicalaf

#21 Post by Kicalaf »

Thanks so much, great tut :D

mekalu2k4

sfs of hostapd

#22 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi seniors,

Please, anybody can point to me a SFS package of this HOSTAPD and then instructions (with screenshots) step-by-step? I have a main computer with puppylinux and 2 other computers (now on windows, but want to migrate to puppy soon). I need to have this wi-fi hotspot sorted out. Another point I would like to make is - for Ubuntu, there is a youtube video explaining how to create the hotspot with it. I would appreciate if somebody makes a video showing the same for puppy and provides a link. That reduces burden on non-tech people like me.

Thanks in advance!

PS:
I am very new to linux, not really good at computers either. All I use is MS-Word and Excel only. However, my experience with linux so far is great. I got rid of windows (I had spent a lot of money in upgrading hardware, software etc as I was following instructions I receive on the screen) and finally took a nice decision to change.