Precise Puppy recognizes data DVD but not movies

Booting, installing, newbie
Fanofscifi

Precise Puppy recognizes data DVD but not movies

#1 Post by Fanofscifi »

Hello everybody,

When I insert a dvd with computer data, Puppy recognizes it and I can mount it but when I insert a movie, an original dvd, Puppy won't recognize it. Probably a little patch or software to download on PPM but I don't know what to do. Any idea?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Unless it's external, Gnome-MPlayer >> file >> disc >> "open dvd w/menus" should do it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I'm running Precise Puppy from a multisession DVD. When I put a DVD movie in the drive, it shows up in the bottom left corner of the desktop, along with the rest of the filesystems Puppy recognizes. If I click on its icon, Gnome starts and plays the movie.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Guess I was wrong to assume this to be the first thing the OP would have tried. Me too.. I'd ah just clicked.

Having visited the forum several times after posting, what's the verdict FOSF.. Where are ya with this?

Les Kerf

#5 Post by Les Kerf »

I have sometimes had DVD's would not be recognized by Puppy, sometimes the iMac won't recognize them either and sometimes Windows won't. Rarely do they all fail, but it has happened and I don't know why.

When Puppy doesn't recognize them the icon does not even appear. :?
Les

Fanofscifi

#6 Post by Fanofscifi »

After several attempts with different dvds, tried to open via gnome player, nothing works. And when I insert a dvd a strange noise is coming from my internal disc reader as if it was trying to read it but was jammed. This is an old laptop maybe the reader is not working properly after all these years

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Reload your disk(s). It sometimes takes a try'er two until she properly seats.

Does an icon pop up on the desktop after loading a disk? Yes? Good. What's Pup call it >> sd<?>

You should be able to run this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

wodim -prcap
You'd be looking for a >> "does read DVD-ROM media" and "does read DVD-R media" response.

Fanofscifi

#8 Post by Fanofscifi »

No the icon doesn't appear on the desktop when I insert a movie.

The result of wodim -prcap is good. Says Does read DVD ROM Media and Does read DVD RAM Media

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

See if you can reload the disk a few times and get it to where it doesn't sound like it's clunking, then go through the Gnome-player routine. Confirm for me the drive's an internal and not external unit. It reads an audio cd OK, right?

What did "wodim -prcap" detect your device as.. /dev/what?

stemsee

dvd

#10 Post by stemsee »

have you installed libdvdcss ?

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

"And when I insert a dvd a strange noise is coming from my internal disc reader.."

I wonder if reducing your drives read speed would improve the outcome?

Easy enough with a little command-line magic..

Fanofscifi

#12 Post by Fanofscifi »

i confirm that my drive is internal. But I haven't downloaded libdvdcss. First time I hear about it. Maybe that's the patch or software that I need. I'll try when I get back from work

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

While "when I insert a dvd a strange noise is coming from my internal disc reader.." has nothing to do with your issue, Precise should have that preloaded. Use Pfind, *system* search "libdvdcss" and confirm. That you didn't address my comment, well..

Pelo

libdvdcss so ? what were you doing then ?

#14 Post by Pelo »

libdvdcss so ? what were you doing then ?
Pike and poke (basic :) will now be the rule.
I ill dot a pet with libdvdcss extracted from Slacko 5.3.3 of Jejy69, french developer born in France, who emigrate to help (create !) US developers with LXpup.
What will they do without Europe ?
Chapter : open with works with gnome-mplayer but my goaaal was to test XFCE applications Parole and Xfmedia. If you don't use them with XFCE puppies, Xfce would be only an ugly desktop :( for my opinion.
Attachments
LesRouges98.jpg
Chapters on the right, considered as a playlist. &quot;&quot;All&quot; does not work.
(60.16 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
ouvrirAvec.jpg
Choose chapters to play, one by one, will work.
(50.03 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 20 Jul 2016, 11:49, edited 5 times in total.

TyroBGinner

#15 Post by TyroBGinner »

What was he doing then? He wasn't doing anything, because if he had, we would have heard about it already because all of this happened over two freaking years ago!

Pelo

TyroBGinner , i have he problem right now,

#16 Post by Pelo »

see if you can reload the disk a few times and get it to where it doesn't sound like it's clunking

TyroBGinner , i have he problem right now, With a DVD 'jimmy'. What is the problem, any solution ? Your help would be useful.It is a DVD from a friend of mine,
Will you comment about people on the forum ? You like or don't like , see Facebook.
Back to the problem, i peek the library libdvdcss so in Slacko 5.3.3, and poke it in my Puppy. , that made the DVD readable.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Pelo, the next time you revive a thread that is more than one year old and I see it, I swear to God I'm reporting you for it.

Pelo

you ask your question queued to the topic that fits.

#18 Post by Pelo »

new topics are not the rule. You must queue your questions to existing ones. Starhawk, you will no longer forgot your topics on the road side.
When you va a question about DVD, you type DVD in the search cell o the forum, and you ask your question queued to the topic that fits. whatever the date created. That is the way to proceed !
I really don't see what inconvenience that could be, but advantage is big. The subject often is quite solved by the previous answers.
I really don't see what inconvenience that could be,

Pelo

But I haven't downloaded libdvdcss.

#19 Post by Pelo »

"i confirm that my drive is internal. But I haven't downloaded libdvdcss. First time I hear about it. Maybe that's the patch or software that I need. I'll try when I get back from work"
Solution should be this one : libdvdcss.
Some DVDs are not readable by a Medion could be read by Acer laptop.
Some CDs you burn will only readable by the computer used for burning them.. And i will succed to read my DVD 'jimmy' by Maria Giese, in spite of Starhawk don't like my problem.
This DVD seems broken.. windows media player fails to read it.
Attachments
jimmy.jpg
Image appeared, then get off, finished !
(23.39 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
jimmy.jpeg
It's my friend DVD.. a Gift..
(15.6 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.