Precise Puppy 5.5 Release Candidate

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#91 Post by BarryK »

vicmz wrote:
zigbert wrote:As I wrote in the Slacko thread:
Puppy has a very aggressive mouse pointer. Its default acceleration is set to 2 with a threshold of 4. This will give me inflammation in my mouse arm, so in all these Puppy years I have set it to 1.2 (acceleration) and 13 (threshold). Well, I will not state what is correct, but how can a newbie find the setting? Is pupX set properties of X informative? - Doubt it. And I think it would be good with a link in the mouse/keyboard wizard. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the place a newbie would look.
Thanks so much for this! I have an old, sensitive mouse that is driving me crazy. Until I buy a new one, this and the Xorg keys will do.
zigbert wrote:Talking about menu descriptions, it may be worth to rethink 'JWM configuration' as well.
I agree.
Or at least put a scrollbar in the JWM theme chooser, so that having many themes won't expand the GUI from roof to floor -- at times I think the Exit button will reach China. :lol: The same happens in the Icon Set Chooser GUI, a scrollbar for that one would be great, too. :D
Well, on the topic of adjusting mouse sensitivity, yes, good idea to add a button -- this is added in script 'input-wizard'.
Done in Woof, will be uploaded soon.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

LateAdopter

#92 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello BarryK

I see from your blog that you a planning to compile 3.8 with an updated configuration.

If possible could you also configure CPUID and MSR kernel modules in your DOTconfig, please?

Thanks.

pemasu

#93 Post by pemasu »

Barry. 3.8 kernel. For enabling brcmsmac driver you need to add bcma support as module and also under wireless, the bcma support for broadcom, then you will see brcmsmac as tickable option.
Proprietary wl.ko though is the only supporting driver for many chips. brcmsmac and brcmfmac does not cover them all.

New wireless realtek driver rtl8723ae.ko was in your 3.8 rc kernel. It needs 2 supporting firmwares. I cant show modinfo for the driver (not in 3.8 kernel puppy now), but the attached firmwares should be the right ones.
They can be placed to the all-firmware/rtlwifi folder....if you wish. And according firmware.dep editing. There are already in linux world posts about need for that driver and questions how to get it to work with chips which needs it. So...seems reasonable to include the firmwares also.
Attachments
rtlwifi-rtl8723-firmwares.tar.gz
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

3.8 kernel woes continues. rtl8192de.ko module has needed firmware included but firmware.dep misses the definition.
With above new rtl8723ae.ko firmware included the row changes from:
rtlwifi:rtl8192ce.ko,rtl8192cu.ko,rtl8192se.ko,r8712u.ko
to:
rtlwifi:rtl8192ce.ko,rtl8192cu.ko,rtl8192de.ko,rtl8192se.ko,r8712u.ko,rtl8723ae.ko

don570

#95 Post by don570 »

I have warned Barry Kauler that Abispell dictionaries don't work in
Precise (as far as I can tell).

I did a test in Slacko and they did work!! Here's the test...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 566#685566

OscarTalks

#96 Post by OscarTalks »

Regarding Multiple Sound Card Wizard as mentioned in BarryK's blog.

Is the issue of the random allocation of index numbers at each boot now fixed?

I have several multiple sound card computers here and from my observations this wizard would change the default from index 0 to index 1, but this does not lock things down if the allocation of index numbers to the different detected devices at each boot is random.

Does MSCW now write anything to /ect/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf because normally I have to edit that file manually to resolve this issue?
Oscar in England

01micko

Re: 5.4.90 (5.5alpha1)

#97 Post by 01micko »

sszindian wrote:5.4.90

Multimedia

pupRadio/pupTelly streaming media

When NASA is selected in pupTelly... the program 'bounces' back and forth between the pupTelly dialog-box and the video media... stays on NASA about 7-seconds... stays on pupTelly dialog box about 11-seconds, this continually repeats.
PupRadio is fixed but can't fix NASA, sorry.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#98 Post by Sage »

The pre-occupation with multiple sound cards seriously misdirects the valuable intellectual challenges facing our developers. Probably count the number of folks who need this facility on one finger (no, not that finger, madam!). Those confronting conflicts with onboard sound have merely to write out the onboard unit in BIOS, assuming they aren't using a cr*p proprietary BIOS on an even more cr*ppy Intel board. [But even these can be over-ridden using a serious BIOS interception utility.]
Those mounting two independent sound cards might try making one of them an old ISA card and using an earlier Puppy variant that has been extensively worked over such as those by TaZoc, ttuuxx and johnbiles.
Generations ago, and also on another Forum that I moderated, I advocated slicing the Vcc line of troublesome onboard sound chips with a scalpel - still and equally valid solution.
Once we can stop people buying Intel and put that worthless organisation into liquidation, many of the world's IT problems will cease. It might also achieve that other most desirable goal of closing down the devil's OS.

OscarTalks

#99 Post by OscarTalks »

Sage,

Sorry, but I don't agree with your assertion that resolving multiple sound card issues is not important.

I often see people on here reporting problems of loss of sound and I believe this may be one of the causes.

Other devices such as modems get detected as sound cards. Common hardware such as webcams plugged into USB ports also becomes detected as additional sound cards on the system in many cases. The percentage of computers which will have more than one is not as small as you suggest.

For those of us who do install additional PCI or USB sound cards because we want the functionality of more than one audio input and output (in order to be able to route audio to and from different places), it would defeat the object to disable one of those cards in the BIOS. The Operating System should be able to detect the sound cards and handle them properly and consistently and I thank those who work to ensure that this is the case in Puppy.
Oscar in England

Sage

#100 Post by Sage »

If modems, webcams & co. are detected as sound cards that's an error of detection suggesting an appropriate remedy.
Folks wanting to run two or more sound cards from one PC, and I disagree - it must be an infinitessimal number, would be better advised running two or more old boxes, especially to avoid routing even more cables to other rooms, presuming they're not listening to jazz in one ear and pop in the other. Messing with unnecessary complications in SW is, as I said, severely distracting. Sound, per se, is not intrinsically difficult to achieve on any old junk. Indeed, broken record, the best results can be had from a board with an ISA slot and a genuine SB128. There are also a plethora of modern digital sound devices available from discrete separates and, most probably, your own telly. Most municipal dumps harbour entirely adequate hi-fi boxes.
It is important to define clearly what objectives are required to be met. Suggesting that there are two separate and, implicitly, different sound generators running off one machine in the same room is just silly. Anyone so severely constrained can PM me and I'll send them an old board, gratis.

zigbert

#101 Post by zigbert »

pMusic 3.2.0 with basic libav support - ffmpeg is still the recommended choice.

Libav will not return stream info as bitrate, samplerate, channels...

Sigmund

rodin.s

report-video and two videocards

#102 Post by rodin.s »

It's not very important but will report anyway. I've been translating report-video and noticed this thing. I have two videocards - one of them is built-in and this one shown in the report but the other one is in use and it's driver is shown:

Code: Select all

# LANG=C report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.4.90

Chip description:
 Intel Corporation 82810 DC-100 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub
 Intel Corporation 82810 DC-100 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): savage
  Loaded modules: dbe ddc dri dri2 extmod fb glx i2c int10 kbd mouse ramdac record vbe vgahw xaa

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x768 pixels (283x212 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# lspci | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810 DC-100 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
01:04.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Savage 4 (rev 04)

ilanrab

#103 Post by ilanrab »

Sage wrote:If modems, webcams & co. are detected as sound cards that's an error of detection suggesting an appropriate remedy.
Folks wanting to run two or more sound cards from one PC,..... gratis.
I believe that you need to understand this issue much better, Sage. I've been stuck with Lupu 5.25, for quite awhile, specifically because of this issue. I am simply using a Dell Inspirion Mini NETBOOK; No PC sound card issues here. The detection of sound H/W is not a trivial issue. Apparently the group has always lacked the specific experience required to handle such an issue. If you could locate the appropriate sound h/w detection expert, out there, s/he will surely solve the problem; hopefully permanently.
Cheers,
ir
[b]ir[/b]

rerwin

frisbee - network_tray package status

#104 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I have resolved all of the remaining issues with frisbee and network_tray. So, they are ready for consideration for the beta.
frisbee: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 092#684092
network_tray: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 694#684694
The tray icons look like the standard network_tray icons but with subtle indications of link type. But I would like to mention some things.

My conclusion and report of frisbee's dependence on the wag_profiles package are incorrect. Because wag-profiles.sh was in the initial beta package from which frisbee is derived, I assumed it was needed. But it was there because it was modified to use dhcpcd-dropwait, which was also there. Therefore, the modified wag-profiles.sh can be restored into the net_setup package. One consideration, though, is that wag-profiles.sh gets updated to add entries for new wireless drivers; keeping it separate would avoid also updating the otherwise unchanged net_setup package. I have updated my frisbee-kit tarball with a recombined net_setup package, so there is one less package for users/testers/developers to install.

The newest network_tray package seems to work reliably. However, now that I have "integrated" the tray icon set, the "-eth" set is no longer needed. I would like to remove the -eth set from the code and perhaps experiment with an implementation that does not require the set of signals from the dhcpcd hooks. Now that I have completed frisbee integration, I feel I can consider some improvements.
Richard

Sage

#105 Post by Sage »

I well understand that some folks have sound card issues, ilanrab. You do not seem to understand that it's not a good idea to be running laptops/Dell/Intel (perhaps with 'doze as well?). You cannot squeeze more than one sound card into any laptop I've ever seen. If the internal proprietary laptop components are telling there's more than one sound card - there isn't!. That is an OS issue. Laptops are not intended to be wired externally to multiple rooms - that's crazy. You can have an old box for free - find them in skips at the roadside/dump - chances are they'll all do sound. First rule for Linux - delete the devil's OS unless you're a hobbyist interested in pushing boundaries. HW is so cheap or cheaper that there is NO POINT, even for impecunious students and less fortunate nations to be running multiple sound cards. I've personally sent dozens of working boxes with sound to Africa via our local charities - if they want more so they can run sound in several rooms, they have only to ask. Of course, none of those machines have the ultimate rogue OS loaded, only Linux. Education is the answer, as Tony Blair pointed out. We've got a mission to re-educate uniformed and brainwashed folks from propping up the DWIntel cartel (as well as other evil capitalist crooks eg in banking, meat trading, fizzy drinks purveying, add-your-example-here).

anikin

#106 Post by anikin »

Sage,
When it comes to sound devices, there's a little bit more, than meets the eye. From an audiophile's perspective, the best board for audio would be the one, that doesn't have audio at all. For serious listening, integrated audio is bad. What's considered to be good is a usb output, where you connect an external DAC or usb sound card. The problem is, that all lap/desk/tops come with integrated audio. Hence, the issue of multiple sound devices. It's just unavoidable and as such, needs to be dealt with.

Hogweed

#107 Post by Hogweed »

Sage,

At the low end £1.50 including P&P (approx $2) gets you this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220806006085? ... 1423.l2649
USB External 3D 5.1 Channel Audio PC Sound Card Adapter

Real USB Plug & Play
Drive 2CH speakers Directly
Supports 3D sound (Ac-3) Stereo 5.1-channel sound track Virtual speaker shifter
Use USB port power Directly
No need external power adapter
Digital Class-B power Amplifier inside
Leading Digital Technology in the world
100% Brand New
Combined webcam/mics, VIOIP Phones, telephone modems (for voice channel input/output) and various other USB devices can and do show up as additional sound cards (They are supposed to). They are far more common than you seem to think.

I can easily think of several people using additional USB sound cards on laptops including me.

Sage

#108 Post by Sage »

None of the above dissenters gets it right, although anikin is almost correct. The PC box is awash with stray signals over the entire spectrum (short of x-ray!). The best sound has nothing to do with PCs; personally, I run a true and synthesised quadraphonic studio amp driving four self-built speaker enclosures, the rear pair being corner reflexes with 15" units + midi + tw. For lesser mortals using a convenient PC, the shorter the path the better and a signal straight off the ISA bus, although still analogue, is about as good as you'll get. Pulling the sound signal out of a USB port isn't too smart. As for a laptop port - ill-advised.
Mr Hogweed still doesn't get it - if it's a webcam, etc. it isn't a sound device. If you want to use SIP, then input your microphone direct to the little pink jack socket labelled 'MIC'. A lack of decent SW to deal with these situations cannot be blamed on the HW or misuse of same.

Hogweed

#109 Post by Hogweed »

Sage wrote: Mr Hogweed still doesn't get it - if it's a webcam, etc. it isn't a sound device. If you want to use SIP, then input your microphone direct to the little pink jack socket labelled 'MIC'. A lack of decent SW to deal with these situations cannot be blamed on the HW or misuse of same.
If it is a combined webcam/mic (with only USB and no audio jack) designed to provide a soundcard interface to the OS then it shows up as a soundard. That's what it is designed to do.

But just for a simple USB soundcard, for instance I have an old laptop (with only two channel stereo out inbuilt) pretty much dedicated to running Skype (and other VOIP) . On it I use Skype with the USB soundcard selected for Skype audio but leave (On Windows) all other sound I/O on the onboard soundcard. Example under Windows at http://www.von-phone.com/audio-settings-USB-Phone.php

Occasional DJ mixing can be done with an old laptop and the preview/cue headphone channel set to the the USB card,

I also know someone with an old laptop connected to an oldish widescreen tv. The onboard sound card has developed a fault and sound is heavily distorted but is perfect with a $2 external USB soundcard dongle. Cheaper than a new laptop.

Instead of trying to tell everyone that we "don't get it". Can't you just accept that others have needs differing from your own?
Last edited by Hogweed on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 23:40, edited 6 times in total.

zigbert

#110 Post by zigbert »

Some years in this forum has made me callous. Quite a few posters don't get my attention. Are we creating or are we nagging?