Precise 5.5 video nasty

Please post any bugs you have found
PaulR

Precise 5.5 video nasty

#1 Post by PaulR »

Not having my Slacko to hand at work I booted a machine from CD with Precise 5.5 and made no configuration changes.

This is how the menu looks (icons are being overwritten/not re-drawn and the tooltip/hints are invisible too).

Here are the details:

Precise 5.5 PAE
Pentium 4 3.06Ghz 1Gb RAM
Geforce FX5200 (I think it's 128Mb)

Puppy started X at 1280x960 resolution by default, might that be the problem? (On Win XP it's usually set at at 1024x768)

I'm not especially interested in a fix myself as this was a one-off use but thought the info might be of help (EDIT and wouldn't be a nice introduction for a new user!).

Paul
Attachments
capture17212.jpg
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello PaulR,

This is a "known issue" with the nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card (and the nouveau driver which is the only one that will load).

Boot the CD with puppy pfix=ram nouveau.noaccel=1 (when you see the Puppy splash screen) and the graphics will display properly.

Then if you are going on to make a save file or install you should edit /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf to read options nouveau noaccel=1

I agree that it is unfortunate in the case of a novice booting for the first time, but just one of those things and doesn't happen with most other graphics cards.
Oscar in England

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Thanks Oscar, couldn't resist trying it out - it works properly when booted as described.

Cheers

Paul