puppy2 hd install not right

Using applications, configuring, problems
cobelloy

puppy2 hd install not right

#1 Post by cobelloy »

hi there, I have got a puppy2 live cd - multisession with a few saved sessions and it works very nice (except that I have no usb mouse) but if I do a hd install, the kind that uses a whole partition it is all messed up, my ethernet is not detected, and my cdrom (normally /dev/hdb) is listed as /dev/sr0

plus I notice a lot of errors scrolling by really fast during boot that I think have "ide" in them - but they go too fast to tell properly.

I have tried doing a hd install from my multi disk and from a new burned disk with no saves and same results despite the live cd having no such weirdness.

I tried saving /var/log/message, but theres not much in there:

Jun 5 23:03:54 (none) syslog.info syslogd started: BusyBox v1.01 (2006.01.16-23:59+0000)
Jun 5 23:03:54 (none) user.info kernel: Adding 1413680k swap on /dev/hdc5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1413680k
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) user.info kernel: parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) user.info kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) user.info kernel: lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) user.info kernel: lp0: console ready
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) daemon.info init: ^MStarting pid 1008, console /dev/tty1: '/sbin/getty'
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) daemon.info init: ^MStarting pid 1009, console /dev/tty2: '/sbin/getty'
Jun 5 15:03:54 (none) auth.info login[1008]: root login on `tty1'
Jun 5 15:04:00 (none) user.info kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Jun 5 15:04:00 (none) user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
Jun 5 15:04:00 (none) user.info kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.warn kernel: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.info kernel: scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.notice kernel: Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: CD-RW GCE-8520B Rev: 1.03
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.notice kernel: Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.notice kernel: 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.warn kernel: sr0: scsi-1 drive
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.info kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Jun 5 15:04:04 (none) user.debug kernel: sr 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

duke93535

#2 Post by duke93535 »

This might work for some of the problems you are having. ctrl+s will stop the scroll and ctrl+q starts it up again you can read my post, My drives are all fine on all accounts:
http://www.puppyos.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=281

cobelloy

#3 Post by cobelloy »

there is this:

/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control 909: failed to obtain control #39 (no such file or directory)

that repeats a number of times in a row - also in the live cd boot too

and this for hd boot only:

cat etc/rcd/PUPSAVE: no such file or directory
cat etc/rcd/PMEDIA: no such file or directory

why is my cdrom identified correctly in the log file then classified as a scsi device, when it is an ide device?

the ethernet wizard does not detect my ethernet even thogh the live cd does it without the wizard

Graeme

#4 Post by Graeme »

I'm also getting the ...

cat: /etc/rc.d/PUPSAVE: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/rc.d/PMEDIA: No such file or directory

(... which is then followed by ...
0: old priority 0, new priority 19
986: old priority 0, new priority 19

#
... at which point it stops and goes no further.)

... when booting from the HDD after using the live-CD (puppy-2.00-seamonkey.iso) to install Puppy 2 to the HDD using option #2 (Normal).

How do I/we fix this one please?

TTFN.,
Graeme

Kal

#5 Post by Kal »

Simple answer on those two files, they are not used in a hard-drive install. Puppy's been told to look for them in the boot up. They are there in the option#1 install and I believe the live cd. It's just a carry over from that. Pupsave shows the location of pup_save.3fs file, if you were using it, but your not. On my computer it stops for just a moment.
Luck, Kal

Graeme

#6 Post by Graeme »

Thanks for that, Kal.
On my computer it stops for just a moment.
Based on that, the problem must be something else ... bother!

Is there a boot log file that can be uploaded for analysis to help work our why it is stopping and going no further? I have tried leaving it for 1/4 hour or more without anything happening. I have also tried typing various things (on a USB keyboard) without any response.

Any help most gratefully received!

TTFN.,
Graeme

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

cobelloy, you could run the CD and let it create a pupxxx file then enlarge that file, there is a tool in Puppy to allow you to do so.

This will allow you to save settings and data to the HD until a solution can be found for your problem.

Did you try this forum as I mentioned:

http://www.puppyos.com/nfphpbb/

MU

#8 Post by MU »

In the chat, cobelloy talked of problems trying a frugal install with Puppy2.
I asked him to send me the link of this thread.
Here is his problem:
Hi, this is the thread for my post about hdd install

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... highlight=

I think I also posted at the other forum, as is suggested at the bottom - but it was down when I went there.

I have not mentioned the problem with frugal install here, but from memory the boot stops with "kernel panic not syncing try passing init options to the kernel", I also added an init line to grub, pointing to initrd.gz but the gz extension was not recognised at boot, so that didnt work, but that is from memory - I have since messed up grub so I cant try it again, sorry.
Ok. just 1 guess: I never tried multisession-versions of Puppy, so I don't know, if there are differences in booting.

Myself, I use Puppy2 like this.

(a german description is here:
http://f25.parsimony.net/forum62850/messages/39725.htm )

I copied from CD to harddisk
pup_200.sfs
vmlinuz
initrd.gz

vmlinuz
initrd.gz
are in a folder
/puppylinux2/

pup_200.sfs *must* be in the basefolder of a partition, not in a subfolder. You might have to try with trial and error, which partition Puppy likes most for that.

Then I modified my existing grub-entry, which for me is in /boot/grub of my other Linux-system.

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux2
 rootnoverify (hd2,1)
 kernel (hd2,1)/puppylinux2/vmlinuz irqpoll usb-handoff root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
 initrd (hd2,1)/puppylinux2/initrd.gz
the 2 comands
irqpoll usb-handoff
are just an example, how to pass Kernel-parameters, if you need that because of specific hardware. You can leave them away.

The values for (hd2,1) depend on the way, you partitioned your computer, the existing entries should help you.

So cobelloy, maybe you had used other entries for grub, what caused your problems?
You can see in my example, that the entries are different from Puppy1, important is the "PMEDIA=idehd".

Mark