Laptop powered off unexpectedly, now it won't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
reffy

#1 Post by reffy »

I have been running Lucid Puppy 528 cd on my laptop and was using it when it suddenly powered off.

When I restarted I got the message "Kernel Panic ! not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" and it hung up there.

I tried booting without loading to RAM and it did get past that point, but then hung up at xorgwizard.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Monsie

#2 Post by Monsie »

Hi reffy,

Welcome to the Forum.

This kind of error happens occasionally. It is often a sign of a hardware failure. Unfortunately it can be hard to pinpoint. Ideally you want to check your log files, but how do you do that if you cannot boot your system? In some cases, it is due to failing ram. To check this you can try running Memtest86+ which is available here. It can also be a sign of software failure. In my case, last fall, I was getting this error due to a faulty boot CD though initially, the burned image was fine and I was able to use the disk for quite some time. You might try burning another copy of Puppy to see if this makes a difference. This is only a start... I am hoping some other members will weigh-in here with some good suggestions.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

puppyluvr

#3 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Boot into ram from a live CD etc and fsck the partition...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...