How to create Save file on flash drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
Scott52

How to create Save file on flash drive?

#1 Post by Scott52 »

I've installed Slacko64 6.3 on a 4 Gig usb flash drive using the whole drive and fat 32. When I shut down and choose to save, the flash drive puppy is installed on isn't one of the options, only the hard drive is shown. When I try and use partition manager to look at flash stick it gives a warning and just shows unallocated space. I thought when booting from a usb flash stick only the usb could be saved to. Any help would be appreciated.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hello Scott -- Welcome!

Here, try a partitioning scheme like the one described here.

I settled for an ext3 save area.

250mb's for the booting pup ISO should leave plenty for save file activities..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello scott52.

I can answer the second part with certainty: gparted will not allow you to partition the
drive your Puppy is currently on. That would be like cutting the branch you're sitting on.

As to the first part of your question, I'm less sure. What kind of install did you do on that
USB drive? You can have full install or frugal install.

Frugal install means "with a pupsave file" (you can have other stuff on the drive)
whereas "full install" means the Puppy has the drive all to itself, like a regular Linux,
non-Puppy, distro.

I never did do a full install, only frugal installs. But I'm using Puppy with a frugal install on
a USB drive right now and it works as it would on a HD. Except that once every half
hour or so there's an orange warning that appears on top of the screen saying ti's
saving the session.

I don't know if this will help, but the partition the Puppy is mounted on is always referred
to as "/mnt/home" in your list of partitions at /mnt, whether on a USB drive or a HD. It
won't say "USB" or "flash drive", that's for sure.

Keep us posted? Bye for now.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Scott52

Solved Creating a Save File

#4 Post by Scott52 »

Hi
Thanks for your replies. I've managed to sort it out. I think the problem was I used Linux Mint to create the usb boot drive. It installed Puppy OK but all the other space on the usb was unallocated and this was why there was no option to create the save file on the usb. I finally used the Universal Installer in Puppy and it worked OK.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I used Linux Mint to create the usb boot drive. It installed Puppy OK but all the other space on the usb was unallocated
This is what is called SuperFloppy mode (no MBR, just one filesystem)
This uses an area of the drive and leaves the rest unallocated.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)