ArchPup 13.2.2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

Printing in Archpup #2

It is possible to make printing work in Archpup, although the selection of supported models is limited. However, there are two issues that must be resolved first.

1. The folder /etc is not being written back to the savefile at the end of a session. This is crucial.

2. The CUPS daemon is being started before localhost is ready. So a CUPS restart is required before it will work.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#47 Post by oui »

simargl wrote:Good luck, I wish you all the best
I wish you the same with a system loosing the time of users and not able to print as usual :P

All modern Puppy's can operate with the greatest depositories of the world, the depositories of the *.DEB-world.

The Arch thing is a certainly a nice add to the Puppy world, but not to loose the user time! I did add big packages from Arch with pacman. The system can often not start the installed packages at all!

Sigmarl, you did build a system to play

no to work with it!

It is nonsens excepted if you goal is to play!

Bring an ArchPup with the same scope of applications as an usual Puppy, and it will literally explode in size!

The only one interesting possible use of ArchPup is to make it able to react extremely fast (but perhaps not universal) as your first ArchPup were! Hm fast? Ok, as long you don't need to print out the doc you did process with it!

You don't realize the importance of time loose today...

Sorry

Good luck to your work but I am afraid the user will fast understand, that you are a good coder but a bad system designer.

Kind regards

simargl

#48 Post by simargl »

Did you, by any change bother, to read the first post? No, I guess not.
oui wrote:You don't realize the importance of time loose today...
If you are too lazy to add one entry in the openbox menu, I can only suggest you try to read more and write less.
That can also save time :wink: , thing you mention so much

simargl

#49 Post by simargl »

To fix problem with starting cups daemon as known issue in the latest release, I will make 13.2.2 version earlier than firstly planned.
There are already some packages updates as mentioned in the first post, plus new firefox will be released on
19.02.2013 See Release Calendar http://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/firefox ... -kalender/

Currently main changes are: resolved cups issue and pacman will by default use archpup custom repository

rcrsn51

#50 Post by rcrsn51 »

simargl wrote:For cups, I checked that cups background service is running on start and that localhost:631 is accessible through web browser.
Can you confirm that, after a CUPS restart, the CUPS web interface is accessible at localhost:631?

simargl

#51 Post by simargl »

Yes I confirm that http://localhost:631/admin works, but with only http://localhost:631 it doesn't work.
It never worked from the beginning, and because I thought that is not very important issue never really tried to fix it.
If you have some suggestion which will eventually make this to work better, I can only add it...

smil99

#52 Post by smil99 »

@ rcrsn51,
Very glad to see you here. Honestly, cups has been a problem since the beginning of archpup :( I even made mention of you here as someone who can help find a solution.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

rcrsn51

#53 Post by rcrsn51 »

simargl wrote:If you have some suggestion which will eventually make this to work better, I can only add it...
The folder /usr/share/doc/cups is missing.

simargl

#54 Post by simargl »

rcrsn51, smil99:
localhost:631 is now accessible, problem was my build script that removed every html file
If you want it here is link to cups help files, extract this archive to /usr/share/cups/doc
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-f8ac803a.html

simargl

#55 Post by simargl »

Latest additions to archpup repository:
gtk3-minimal-3.6.4-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
l3afpad-0.8.18.1.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

For size differences see bellow
[root@archpup ~]# pacman -S gtk3
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (11): at-spi2-atk-2.6.2-1 at-spi2-core-2.6.3-1 colord-0.1.28-1 dconf-0.14.1-1 js-1.8.5-3
lcms2-2.4-1 libgusb-0.1.4-1 nspr-4.9.4-1 polkit-0.109-1 shared-color-profiles-0.1.5-1
gtk3-3.6.4-1

Total Download Size: 15.07 MiB
Total Installed Size: 97.57 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n
[root@archpup ~]# pacman -S gtk3-minimal
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (4): at-spi2-atk-2.6.2-1 at-spi2-core-2.6.3-1 dconf-0.14.1-1 gtk3-minimal-3.6.4-3

Total Download Size: 2.21 MiB
Total Installed Size: 10.95 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
Now we can test some of the gtk3 applications 8)

rcrsn51

#56 Post by rcrsn51 »

simargl wrote:localhost:631 is now accessible, problem was my build script that removed every html file
In your next build, you can save some space by deleting /usr/share/doc/cups/help.

simargl

#57 Post by simargl »

rcrsn51 wrote:In your next build, you can save some space by deleting /usr/share/doc/cups/help.
Ok, I've done that and sfs is now 0.3MB smaller. Thanks.
Searching for all .html files shows only two of those are now present
pup_ro2/usr/lib/grub4dos/grub4dosconfig.html
pup_ro2/usr/share/cups/doc/index.html

stifiling

#58 Post by stifiling »

Sim,

These are just a few minor modifications i think you should consider.

the background, login.mp3, icons, and themes...should be moved from the main.sfs, into the adrv. and pwireless2 should be moved from main into archapps. that way, when it is said that, "archpup_132.sfs is the barebones solution and boots to tty" it would be 'completely' the truth...instead of mostly.

another thing, geany, simple-radio, spacefm, and viewnior should be moved from the adrv...into archapps sfs. this let's me be able to get rid of caja, mousepad, leafpad, wicd, lxtask, dolphin, etc...from the other adrvs, because the defaults are in archapps.

one last thing is, the menu entries 'Install ArchPup to USB or HDD' and the other two....are written to use specifically geany. So if the user decided they want to uninstall geany and install leafpad...those menu entries will no longer work. traditional puppy has the script /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor which executes the command:

Code: Select all

exec geany "$@"
this file is easier to edit if the user decides they want to uninstall geany and use something different. the menu entries will continue to work by having the openbox menu.xml file execute the command:

Code: Select all

defaulttexteditor /usr/share/archpup/doc/installation

simargl

#59 Post by simargl »

I understand your proposal, but also have to think about minimal iso image which comes without archapps sfs.
If I do all that, minimal iso would not have file manager, wireless connection program, or any text editor for reading help files.
So, pwireless must stay in adrv_openbox, but you can also add it to any other adrv - its size is extremely small (15KB),
because I made links in it to use system binaries

This needs more detailed examination for every item you suggested, in many things you are absolutely right...

simargl

#60 Post by simargl »

@stifiling,
These files are moved from main sfs to adrv_openbox:
background - default.jpg,
login.mp3,
Archpup (gtk2,gtk3, and openbox theme)
Clearlooks openbox theme, but gtk2 theme stays in archpup sfs
All other themes are removed
Will also remove faience icons theme from the archapps, it relies very much on faenza that is in adrv_openbox

Programs moved from adrv to archapps :
viewnior

Programs moved from adrv to main sfs :
nano

flamehazeshana13

Help me!

#61 Post by flamehazeshana13 »

First of all Great Pup, I've longed for an ArchLinux installation but don't have much bandwidth or I'm just too lazy.. So thanks for this! :)

Kind of a noob question, how do you change the video drivers in this Pup. I have an old PC and an old video card NVIDIA GeForce MX4000, I had no luck in Compiling the official driver as I think it is not compatible with the Xorg version included (my computers getting old.. :oops: ,no it IS old :lol: ) , the reason I'd like to have the drivers is because I use it for developing games, multimedia development stuff and gaming (light gaming of course)

If anybody has luck compiling the official drivers please inform me, if the official driver just won't cut it, I think I'll settle down for the NOUVEAU driver. But I don't know how to install this too :oops: , I have packages but don't know how to configure them. I became too used to XORGWIZARD :lol: . I tried using XORGWIZARD by getting them from my previous Slacko but Xorg breaks as it screws up xorg.conf ; so if anybody has the same problem or anything near it and has found a solution please please please inform me immediately! BTW the NVIDIA official drivers and NOUVEAU drivers works like a charm in my previous Slacko 5.4 Installation.

oh BTW this is my PC specs (aging computer :oops: ) if needed and if anyone is interested in finding a solution:

ArchPup 13.2
3.06Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
256MB RAM DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce MX4000 128MB
Realtek AC'97 Audio Card

Thanks and Cheers for ArchPup :D

simargl

#62 Post by simargl »

Hi flamehazeshana13 and thanks for using Archpup 8)

I also had nvidia graphic card, and after Xorg upgrade to 1.10 it became incompatible (that is reason why I left Arch Linux)

Tried to use nouveau driver but it wasn't very stable at that time, monitor would sometime start to flicker or even poweroff, 3D acceleration worked but everything was too dark and with lower FPS than using standard nvidia driver, so I switched to one slackware based distibution

Now, all of this relates to nvidia 96 driver - that will definitely not work, unfortunately we can't do anything about it, if nvidia decide not to support own company products..

Still, if you need newer drivers than 96 series, they are probably well supported and they should work

stifiling

#63 Post by stifiling »

i got an old nvidia card that uses the same driver. it's hard to get it to work but it can work by installing from the archpup repo the package 'downgrade'....and downgrading xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev, to older versions.....and then compiling and installing the proprietary nvidia driver. i'm messing around with it right now and will post the solution when i get it working.

xstylezx

#64 Post by xstylezx »

Im on Nvidia 6150se and the graphics driver on archpup for me is just terrible. I haven't had any luck, with nouveau or nvidia driver myself. I can't get correct monitor resolution with nvidiafb in use. Thats what it tells me is in use for driver. I will watch this carefully and hopefully someone gets a decent working solution for either nouveau or nvidia. The only issues at all I really have with archpup is this driver problem and also a udev problem that I haven't been able to iron down yet, other than it seems to flag any hardware that it can't find drivers for and if I don't delete these folders it seems to not correctly save to my savefile.

So basically if I don't go into udev folder and delete a couple folders with strange names then when i restart it will attempt to save to savefile but wont be able to locate the content of these folders and will throw up errors. If I delete the folders before restart everything proceeds and saves as normal. I have to remember to delete the folders before every restart or it wont save. I've had this same issue from the very first archpup to the current version. I've posted about it here before but my posts always go ignored. It is amazing to me that not even one other single person has this problem.....any ideas??

stifiling

#65 Post by stifiling »

I'm able to get xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev downgraded and working using the nv driver, but can't try it with the proprietary nvidia-96xx driver because the driver won't compile. it appears to be something with the linux-3.4.28_src.sfs file. i tried installing the default 3.7.5 linux-headers and can get a little further using that source....but of course, not far enough to successfully compile the nvidia.ko module.
xstylezx wrote:I can't get correct monitor resolution with nvidiafb in use. Thats what it tells me is in use for driver.
i ran into this as well. rivafb.ko or nvidiafb.ko was grabbing the nvidia card before nv could. so i unsquashed the main.sfs....deleted the folders that holds the .ko files:

/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia
/lib/modules/3.4.28-ARCHPUP/kernel/drivers/video/riva

and resquashed the main.sfs. nv then has a chance to grab the nvidia card and your screen resolution should be normal after this.